AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Cablevision's silver package on January, 30, 2004. The following is a brief from my experiences so far.

Quick facts: I am in zip 07424. My TV is a Mits WS-55809, which is a 55 inch, HD capable, widescreen RPTV. I process audio with a Sony STR-DE635 based HT.

Cablevision missed the appointment becasue they ran out of HD STBs! But they fixed it so that I was all set up in seven days after my original order, which is not too bad. Because of a promotion I got professional install free!

I have component going from the SA 4200HD STB, that came with the package, to the Mits for video. I have set up STB to output 1080i. The 4200HD has one coaxial connector for digital audio and no opticals. Which BTW works great for me because the optical port on my HT is occupied by the DVD player.

The STB additionally has a DVI port, but I have not tested it because I do not have any DVI capable monitors. There is also a USB port. I am not sure what the USB can do.

The quality of both HD and non HD digital channels is great. However, I have noticed that the quality of the basic analog channels (2 - 78) has deteriorated considerably after the upgrade. Digital artifacts are very noticeable. I beleive these artifacts are being produced by the upconversion within the STB. I need to do some experimentation with STB settings, analog outputs from the STB and bypass on the STB in hopes of improving the quality of the basic channels. Some of the basic channels are mapped to digital, but some others like TNN (Star Trek!), USA, Discovery, Comedy Central (SNL!) etc. are not. Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

It seems all digital channels (channel 81 onwards) are capable of carrying 5.1 Dolby Digital audio, irrespective of HD or SD video. I discovered 5.1 audio on many digital channels while browsing.

I am getting the following HD channels:

MSGHD

FSHD

HBOHD

SHOHD

HDOD (HD on demand)

INHD (amazing quality)

CBSHD

13HD (amazing quality)

STZHD

MAXHD

TMCHD

I found some really good HD content on INHD. They show documentaries on nature themes converted from the IMAX format. Although HD makes hollywood movies only a little better, it is eye popping to watch widlife, places and people on HD. I am not a sports fan, and so I cannot comment on how much different it is to watch sports on HD.

I will be happy to answer any questions. I am looking forward to reading other people's experiences, and any tips and tricks.

Cheers!

Parul

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just got my setup on 2/7/04 in Morris Plains, NJ. My setup is a Panasonic 42SD plasma with a 5.1 setup. I would say the HD quality is remarkable on true HD telecasts. I never believed it could be so sharp. SD programming such as basketball (hardwood floor) can be a problem with a plasma due to jaggies but I watched an NBA game on InHD and the picture was unbelievably sharp with no jaggies whatsoever. This is while scaling a 1080i image to my 852x480 plasma. Don't ask why, but 1080 seems to look better than 480p from the box. I guess my plasma does a better job of scaling to 480p than the 4200HD box.

In terms of installation, it did not take long but I had to show the tech how so setup the box (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Nice individual, he had just never done it before. I suspect he was not trained in such matters. He did show up on time for the appointment.

I too have "less" quality on the SD channels (via component video) but switching to Svideo seems to make it like it was. Mostly the component feed seems a bit "washed out" on regular channels. You're probably right, it may be the up conversion. The funny thing is, NYC 2/4/7 are washed out but 5-Fox is pretty good either way. It's somewhat random. I just find what I want and if it's bad, I switch inputs via remote (MX700) to Svideo.

I did not realize until I watched a few stations that some of the SD material has grey sidebars and some just dead black space - not great for a plasma. I found there is a debate raging on whether to add sidebars (it has a negative effective on 4:3 sets) over in the HDTV OTA forum.

I also found that the sidebars when receiving an SD channel are thinner than the sidebars I have from the plasma when using the old HD box. I can't explain this.

Not perfect, but the quality of the true HD channels makes it worth it. Being an early adopter of anything means less than perfect, but at this point I'm satisfied.

For those with unified remotes, note that the remote codes for the remote learn very easily into the Home Theater Master MX700. I had a problem with a friends Philips DirectTV box having to do with remote codes being non-standard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
the "Guide" does not work on Svideo
On a Yahoo group CV has said that will be fixed with a new software load to the 4200HD soon.

Allen

·
Registered
127 Posts
AJW22 - I believe that the guide fix you are referring to reflects only the current problem with the DVI output, not the component or SD outputs.

The DVI output currently has a software problem that won't allow the guide and channel info to be shown through that output. That information is available through the component output but never through the Sd outs.

I have had Digital i/o since July and have never gotten the guide/channel info except through the component outputs. Unless I am mistaken, I have not heard that they were "fixing" that problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cablevision will soon be pushing a software update for the 4200HD to fix numerous issues, including improving analog channel picture quality via component out and adding channel overlay on s-video and composite.

Allen

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The initial logic in not including the on-screen graphics out of the S-Video or Composite outputs was that the majority of people using these outputs would be using them to attach the STB to a VCR. Given that logic, not including the on-screen graphics was a pretty good idea, IMO.

What they didn't take into account was that most people find the picture from SD broadcasts to be better through S-Video than it is via component and, therefore, want to watch SD using this connection. Since they are watching, instead of taping, the on-screen graphics are now important to them.

It would be nice if they could make this an optional parameter so that recorders can have the display turned off and viewers could have it turned on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ajw22
Cablevision will soon be pushing a software update for the 4200HD to fix numerous issues, including improving analog channel picture quality via component out and adding channel overlay on s-video and composite.

Allen
What about (pass-through)so that we don't have to change the formats in the settings menu every time you switch from a SD to DTV to HDTV. This would make channel surfing much easier.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
With the 4200HD, do you manually have to change the settings every time you go from an SD channel to an HD channel? How about the 3250HD?

I know that you don't have to do this with the 3100HD.

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
Unfortunately my experience with the SA 4200HD box was less than compelling. With the Cableivsion installer seated next to me, we proceeded to do an A/B/C test between D*, VOOM and Cablevision HD. Without any doubt the Cablevision HD looked the least sharp with the least depth of the three. VOOM and D* were sharper with more of a 3D feel on good broadcasts. Also noteworthy was the OTA HD feed via my Sony HD200 was significantly sharper and richer than on either my VOOM box or Cablevision. VOOM's HD PQ via satellite is great, but for some reason the included 8VSB module does not do as good a job with PQ as the Sony box does.

Now, if one didn't have the advantage of doing this A/B/C test, you'd probably be perfectly happy with the SA box. The installer asked if I was keeping the box after seeing the tests. I said "no". He actually did not appear surprised and said he "kind of expected it" from his experiences with the other provider's PQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.