AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the ethylene glycol for tube coolant that I've been needing for a while.


What I got: Four liters of Fisher Scientific laboratory grade ethylene glycol, "suitable for histological use". High purity stuff.


How to get it:


This is tricky:


Go to Fisher Scientific's site. www.fishersci.com


Search for "ethylene glycol", in a basic (low cost) grade.


Order it online.


When it doesn't show up in a month, pick up the phone and call their customer service line and ask where your order is.


In my case, they sold me the lab grade stuff, which IS in stock, for the same price as the reagent grade stuff.


For reference, the reagent grade stuff is $49.38 for four liters, while the lab grade version is normally $141.89 for four liters.


Nice savings, huh?


The reagent grade is in the science education section. But the order wasn't

processed properly and they gave me a one time accomodation on what WAS

in stock.


If you need the stuff, order the reagent grade item from the science education section of the site, and hope it doesn't arrive in a month or six weeks.


If they do for you what they did for me, you will be glad to wait the extra couple

of weeks to NOT get it.


I can't see anything wrong with getting higher purity glycol, can you?


It may be more resistant to yellowing.


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
prop/eth....no matter..I've got barrels of it. (coatings factory) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but not everybody else does. And a four liter jug of it is a very useful quantity for

a small time operator like myself.


I've been so desperate for good glycol that I've actually salvaged the tube assemblies out

of junked rear projection TVs just to get the glycol out of them if it was suitably clear.


Oddly enough, it always has been, so far.


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
I've got three liters each of clean, colored sony coolant as well. I junked about 50 or so 07mp tubes. No-one wanted them. Not even Charlie at VDC. They were looking at re-furbing those tubes, and I said..hey..I can send you two skids..boxed. Just give me $5 each, and pay for the shipping costs. I'll pack them myself, etc..and no deal.


Did VDC ever start re-furbing those tubes?


Before anyone asks, they were all hosed, about 25khrs on each one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check something out about the red Sony coolant for me, will you?


Do you have a blue LED light source?


If so, please take a sample of that red coolant into a dark room and light it up with only

a blue LED light source.


Tell me if the coolant fluoresces red.


I have small samples of the Spatz formulated Sony equivalent dye concentrates, and the

red one fluoresces red in the presence of light from a deep blue LED.


I want to know if the Sony coolant is fluorescent.


In theory, you would not want your coolant to be fluorescent.


CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Yes, but not everybody else does. And a four liter jug of it is a very useful quantity for

a small time operator like myself.


I've been so desperate for good glycol that I've actually salvaged the tube assemblies out

of junked rear projection TVs just to get the glycol out of them if it was suitably clear.


Oddly enough, it always has been, so far.


CJ
I just put a little bit of bleach in the fluid and stirred it up. After a couple of days it looked nice and clear again. But I don't know how long it will last.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
I'm in the coatings business, and I can tell you that getting the red coolant or the green coolant to work properly under the pressure form the tubes..was no easy task. A dye, has to have small enough particles that it does not intefere with the light that transmisses through it. It also has to have particles that are smaller than the wavelength that they 'interfere', with (for maximum effectiveness) and therefore..color. Ie, the grind quality has to be very excellent. This also creates a premature wear condition due to the small particle size. suspensionand clumping is serious issue. .


After I found out and contemplated these issues of coolant design... I was even more impressed. I thought long and hard aobut improving it but decioded not to. Too small a market, and too much work for it. I have had the specific ingredients and quality of ingredients for about two years or more now.


Attention VDC: I might be convinced to go after it..... for a few overstock PJ's...... :) We do some of the finest pigment grinding on the planet.


Getting a tube coolant to be the exact shade of red, or green required to 'perfect' the color balance, in itself..is a work of art.



I even went so far as to design screens that were perfect for pulling more perfection out of CRT projectors. brighter..and sharper. Done to perfection... to offset the color balance issues that are native to CRT's, as a RGB set. This would increase CR, linearity, color balance and output. This would create a zero need for colored coolant, and increase quality of image in all percievable and measureable ways.


bah.


no-one wants it, save a few videophiles. It would be great for the simulators. All I have to do , is get them to listen to me for a few seconds, but no-one ever has so far. Nothing against guys lile WM, but all they do is calibrate. a tough task to be sure.


I'm talking about putting your head on in a completely different way. And due to that, no-one ever listens.


I've been using the technology I describe for over two years now, personally at home. I wouldn't go back to another screen if you paid me to..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK
I even went so far as to design screens that were perfect for pulling more perfection out of CRT projectors. brighter..and sharper. Done to perfection... to offset the color balance issues that are native to CRT's, as a RGB set. This would increase CR, linearity, color balance and output. This would create a zero need for colored coolant, and increase quality of image in all percievable and measureable ways.
Sounds like you are using a Light Fusion.:)


Give us some details, Ken. I was thinking of doing an aluminized mylar in a Torus configuration with a translucent coating over the top. If yours is better, then I will forget my idea as pedestrian.:)


Ericglo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Never give people enough information to go on. I have no comment on light fusion. In this case, enough was whispered of in the presence of MM and others that it became a case of 'follow the gourd..no..follow the shoe'. I just shook my head, and walked away. Others may argue the case, but well, at the original DIY show we both went to..well...long story. I was having this 'random thought' talk with Rob after the show...and....well..look what it snowballed into.


alluminized mylar is at about 85% reflectivity, at best more like 80%, and it is not linear across the reflective band. The CRT white product from us, basecoat wise, is at about 91% or so, with a very pure spectrum. Enough said. I found that to be utterly useless (CRT White basecoat) after 2-3 weeks of using it..which is how I ended up designing screen coatings. That's why CRT White was first. Getting Digital coatings to be 'best', was a long task to figure out. No clues, now. But, my Digital screen I'm using, give a contrast range increase of 25% or so, on PJ's that use UHP bulbs. It could be about 35-40%, but that requires co-operation from the PJ manufacturer. And some acceptance from spouses.


I will say, that in my own defense, on this MM and Fusion issue..both ideas were direct lifts from my posts on the forum, or comments made in person. Which is why I don't give hints anymore about anything. :)


I don't begrudge them that, to the larger and smaller extent, but every now and then it bugs my ass. To have germed such things and get not a word spoken of that. But, that's life. I'd be embarassed if someone started doing such things. I'd run away. I do tend to pride myself on the ability to create things and seed people's minds. Both are examples of my real pastime. My real passion in life. To seed things. Just some of the test runs in that department. To see how it works out. Testing my skill in that area, without creating or doing any harm. Try to explain that to people as a passion and pastime, without looking crazy. That's the incredibly funny part. No-one belives me. That's the whole point I says!... Like Kysersose....Poof..and he was never here.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
So, you don't think that my idea would be that good. My experiments showed it to be very high gain, but I understand where you are coming from on the linear reflective band. Do you think barium sulfate mixed into my coatings on a plastic substrate with a small horizontal curve would be better?


Darin might have some interest in your contrast enhancing digital screens.


I remember you stating that a first surface mirror would be better than a second surface (big surprise, it is), but I don't remember the rest. No need to go over it again, though.


Ericglo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Yes, but not everybody else does. And a four liter jug of it is a very useful quantity for

a small time operator like myself.




CJ
So now that you've spread out the vinyl sheet and rolled around in it, and drank the other two liters, how do you feel?


;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts
Why is it that I keep picturing guys with moonshine as you are talking about this glycol? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
Darin might have some interest in your contrast enhancing digital screens.
I think KBK is right about what is possible with these screens, but it wouldn't work for every digital with a UHP bulb (my 11k was one an exception to this). I have an idea what he is talking about as far as projector manufacturers and I think he is also right there. My guess is that one of his screens designed this way would work well with the Sony HS51. I know somebody with a Panasonic 7000U where the perfect screen for it in his room just isn't made by any manufacturer and I had to recommend making his own if he really wants one that is pretty close.


BTW: If you guys want to read some ramblings about modding something, you can look at my thread here about irises and DLPs on the >$3.5k digital forum, and correct anything you feel like correcting (or not :)).


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
So, you don't think that my idea would be that good. My experiments showed it to be very high gain, but I understand where you are coming from on the linear reflective band. Do you think barium sulfate mixed into my coatings on a plastic substrate with a small horizontal curve would be better?


Darin might have some interest in your contrast enhancing digital screens.


I remember you stating that a first surface mirror would be better than a second surface (big surprise, it is), but I don't remember the rest. No need to go over it again, though.


Ericglo
Never said that! :) No idea. We can all be suprised on how things work out, in the end. For example, we have a new product out. It is for making screens with a peak gain of 4 or so. If curved, it might be higher. It is a silver screen formula. If measured, it is unlikely to shift by more than 100 deg. K. If looked at by the human eye, it will likely look like more than that. Substrate choice might be critical..and we are doing tests to look at that as an issue. We know how it is going to perform..but we might be suprised.


The meter averages..the eye sees the shifted 'peaks'. It doesn't average.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
Why is it that I keep picturing guys with moonshine as you are talking about this glycol? :)



I think KBK is right about what is possible with these screens, but it wouldn't work for every digital with a UHP bulb (my 11k was one an exception to this). I have an idea what he is talking about as far as projector manufacturers and I think he is also right there. My guess is that one of his screens designed this way would work well with the Sony HS51. I know somebody with a Panasonic 7000U where the perfect screen for it in his room just isn't made by any manufacturer and I had to recommend making his own if he really wants one that is pretty close.


BTW: If you guys want to read some ramblings about modding something, you can look at my thread here about irises and DLPs on the >$3.5k digital forum, and correct anything you feel like correcting (or not :)).


--Darin
I read a bit on the thread. I figured that one out in the first week of playing with DLP projecors. Nice write up.



What came to mind, for me..was the back cover of the 'Tangerine Dream' Album..."Exit". Take a look at it to see what I mean. I lifted the idea from the telescope optics industry. (after remembering the cover of the album). As for what else I'm doing to the PJ, I keep that to myself. The only one's that are doing similar work is NASA, to my understanding..and I'm doing a better job. (and no..I don't think I'm better than NASA..give me a break. Just in this one area, is all.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK
Never said that! :) No idea. We can all be suprised on how things work out, in the end. For example, we have a new product out. It is for making screens with a peak gain of 4 or so. If curved, it might be higher. It is a silver screen formula. If measured, it is unlikely to shift by more than 100 deg. K. If looked at by the human eye, it will likely look like more than that. Substrate choice might be critical..and we are doing tests to look at that as an issue. We know how it is going to perform..but we might be suprised.


The meter averages..the eye sees the shifted 'peaks'. It doesn't average.


Ummm, more details please. I see the new Ultra Silver and Ultra Grey, but no info on them. This could be an exciting alternative to Vutec Pearlbrite.



Ericglo
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top