AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
compared to the dvd the Dtheatre tape is extremely dark. Going through an audio authority decoder taking the YrPbPr to RGBHV. I'm using a Runco CRT and adjusted the white balance of all three CRT's this made Backdraft look good, but it still seems a tad dark, but Fight Club is extremly dark. I mean compared to the DVD its about 35-40 pts off on the brightness side which I have at 80 so theres no way to get to 120

Question is could this be the transcoder? Or is it just the movie

·
Registered
809 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I tried connecting my JVC 30K via a transcoder. I need to create a new memory in my projector and that will likely need a much higher contrast than my other inputs. Most of the time I just play tapes over 1394 through my DTC-100 so this is not a big issue for me.

When I use the component outputs connected to a Toshiba TV, the picture looks fine.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Guys,

This has been talked about widely both here and in the CRT projector forum. Do a search on transcoder or tri-level sync. If your display can't handle tri-level sync then using transcoders like the Audio Authority can result in a very dim or color shifted image.

Follow the link in my signature for more information.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what I was afraid of. An extra $300 and I'm still not sure it will work without clearing all my calibrated projectors memory.

Do you recomend the Extron or the Key Digital? The search on this forum isn't working for me?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hank,

I had a Key Digital transcoder that I was using with my NEC XG110, and the symptom I had was brightly lit scenes looked more or less ok although perhaps a bit dim but darkly lit ones or night shots (e.g. the opening sequence in The Peacemaker) had all the fine shadow detail completely crushed into black.

So I sent the Key Digital unit back. I found a used Extron CVC 200 for not much more than I paid for the Key Digital unit and I will be trying it out tomorrow. Judging from everything I have read the Extron unit will be fine. I'll better know the answer tomorrow.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerome,

Did the extron unit work for you. If so I guess I have no choice, but if it makes everything look good and matches your calibrated 1080i without reseting the memory are the 2 things I want to make sure of before I purchase it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hank,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this. Yes, I found the Extron CVC 200 to work very well. The only adustment I had to make to the image to raise the brightness control on my projector by 10 points. With the Key Digital unit the contrast was way too low and I could run brightness all the way to 100 and it would still look dim.

I'm a happy camper with the Extron. They are pretty expesive new, as I have seen them retail at $900.00, but I got mine used for $350.00 and they do come up on eBay from time to time with an average selling price in the $400 to $450 range.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So basically, The Key Digital is going to do about the same thing as the Audio Authority converter I have now?

$900 is way to steap right now for me. Is there anything else that can be done for a temp solution ie running the component right to the projector? Just using the RGB and not the HV inputs?

That would be a feasible solution for me as I will rarely be watching DVHS for the time being at least and a 10-15min setup wouldn't be a problem.

Right now my Brightness is 80 and the contrast is 75 Calibrated. Stuff off of my Dish 6000 looks great.

I have a Vigitec Dune and tried running 480i and converting for fun and the JVC does not downrez well there were breakups galore.

Is the Problem the output or might it be feasible for me to use my Vig to convert the 1080i to 720P.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the search work for anyone else? I've been trying to find a transcoder links and I search and get nothing

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
The CVC200 does a pretty good job. The only issue I had with the conversion was corrected in my ECP4000 CRT with the hi band-low band cross-over point. The converted H freq. was right at the crossover and it became unstable so a slight adjustment in the H sync board moving the crossover a few Khz higher fixed that. Color matching, brightness and contrast between my DTC-100 and the DST50 and my P-scan DVD-R players that are component Y, Pr, Pb all look identical now with the CVC200 doing the conversion on the DST50 and the DVD player. The final issue I have is with the DVD player and Macrovision encoded DVD's but this seems to be a player issue and not related to the trilevel sync conversion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.