AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And boy, am I glad I did. I got some blank tapes and proceeded to make copies of all my MiniDV tapes to the DVHS format. I was able to get 32 MiniDV's on 5 DVHS tapes with room to spare on the fifth tape. I can now take the masters to my Mom's for safe keeping and I can view the DVHS versions.

Now for the fun stuff, and truth be known, the REAL reason for the DVHS deck. I got GalaxyQuest and a Smart Travels tape in the mail yesterday. I first popped in my GalaxyQuest DVD which, in my opinion, is close to reference quality. I started the DVHS version and synched them up perfectly. I couldn't believe what I saw! Just like I had read in a review somewhere, the DVD version seems to be shrouded in some sort of haze when switching back and forth. The DVHS version is absolutely stunning! That's not to say that I can never go back to DVD after the A/B comparison. I'm perfectly happy with DVD picture quality but if given the choice, I'll buy the DVHS version over its DVD counterpart every time.

The sad truth is, there are only about 25 films to choose from for now. No biggie, I'm not in any hurry to replace my DVD's with their DVHS counterparts. I have Ice Age and X-men on order and from what I've read, those 2 titles are even better than GalaxyQuest.

DVHS isn't for everyone. Yes, it's a tape based format but I could care less about that. The RW and FF speed is very fast. And also, you can get 21 hours of timeshifted content on one DVHS 420 minute tape. There are three input bit-rates—28.2 Mbps (HS), 14.1 Mbps (STD), or 4.7 Mbps (LS3). A 420 minute tape holds 3 1/2 hours of HD material, 7 hours in STD and 21 hours in LS3 mode. For timeshifting, it's a dream. I plan on recording the entire "Taken" miniseries on SciFi this weekend since they're repeating all 10 episodes on Saturday and Sunday.

After reading some of the negative posts about the JVC HM-DH30000U, I was a little leary. I have around 35 hours on the deck so far, mostly recording. I've watched GalaxyQuest and the 90 minute Smart Travels tape and have yet to experience any dropouts.

My next big thing will be recording OTA HD material through the firewire port. Can't do it with my current Panasonic STB but who knows. I may be in the market for a Samsung 165 OTA STB in the future but for now, I'm very, very happy with this new technology. Heck, I even used this opportunity to upgrade some of my interconnects with Bettercables.

-Pannyman

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I dont mind the tape format all. I give JVC credit for being the first out of the gate to give us the best media available to date.

I glad you made the move. Now the fun begins.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Now the fun begins.
Alan,

That's one heck of an understatement for some of us :D

Anyways, I'm back in business with the loaner 30K I just received from JVC. I've been wanting to pick up Ice Age but frankly I'm waiting to see what JVC comes up with before investing anymore in D-Theater.

I have the ABC Galaxy Quest (720p) that I recorded with the MyHD and wondering how this compares to the D-Theater version. Frankly, I never bought the GQ DVD after seeing it on standard satellite but the HD version changed all that and I really like that flick now.

Kinda funny a Pannyman has now got himself a JVC :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehehe...yeah. When I first registered on AVS, I had just purchased a Panasonic RPTV, Panasonic HD STB, and Panasonic RP91 DVD player. Hence the Pannyman tag :)

My week just keeps getting better! I just received X-Men, Ice Age and Independence day from Fedex. Looks like a long night ahead of me. I watched the first five minutes of Ice Age. This DVHS thing is too much!

-Pannyman

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Dave,

You got that right.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Pannyman:

Welcome to Death Valley. You're in for some real hell.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHA...this cracks me up! I've seen it in other threads and now we have it here. People that badmouth DVHS and D-Theater. My guess is that alot of them have never even SEEN what it looks like. It's unfortunate for everyone that has had problems with their deck. But there are people out there that have no problems. I'll be one of them. Thanks for caring, though :) :)

-Pannyman

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Just give it time, we all seem to be ending up in the same position.

Look at the last two posts in my data thread. No problems since feb 02, but now, they may have joined the "special" club of real tape warriors.

Dave

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
But there are people out there that have no problems. I'll be one of them.
Let's see. At least 20% have problems with less than 300hours. Remind me how you like your crow when the time comes :D

I am really hoping JVC comes to a timely resolution on this. Not one member that has posted in this thread here will tell you that DVHS and D-Theater is anything but excellent when it's working. I guarantee you will not be happy when your DVHS HD recordings and miniDV archives are a sea of block pixels.

I really do hope you don't ever experience any of this and won't be sharing in the pain.

--hardwired

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
HAHA...this cracks me up! I've seen it in other threads and now we have it here. People that badmouth DVHS and D-Theater. My guess is that alot of them have never even SEEN what it looks like. It's unfortunate for everyone that has had problems with their deck. But there are people out there that have no problems. I'll be one of them.
Do you work for JVC?!! Good Lor. Look at the threads in this place. We all own this deck and love/hate it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hardwired,

You made two rediculous statements so let's break them down.

Quote:
Let's see. At least 20% have problems with less than 300hours. Remind me how you like your crow when the time comes
20% of whom?? Of ALL the people that have purchased JVC's? Of all that have posted in this forum? Of all that have posted on AVS?? Could you please supply your data? Rediculous, right? Oh, and can you please look in your crystal ball and see if I'm one of the lucky 80%, please? I'm the guy with brown hair smiling from ear to ear while I watch my D-Theater version of X-Men!

Quote:
I guarantee you will not be happy when your DVHS HD recordings and miniDV archives are a sea of block pixels.
We need to go back to the crystal ball on this one since there's no other way of you knowing that not only will my DVHS HD recordings

turn into a "sea of block pixels", but now my MiniDV archives will do the same. Amazing! Thanks for the heads-up!

Here's what it comes down to. There are two camps of negative posters. You've got the "misery loves company" people that have issues with their DVHS decks and want to bring down the people that don't have issues with them.

Then there's the good old fashioned Aesop's Fables "sour grapes" contingent that don't have a player, have never seen one in action, yet they're experts on the format.

And I guess you could say there's a third group. The people that have a large collection of DVD's and feel like they've wasted their money. Similar to the laserdisc crowd that was up in arms when DVD showed up on the scene. I fit into both groups but I still embraced the best format for picture quality that was out there at the time. Namely, DVD and now, DVHS.

DVD is not going anywhere and I will continue to grow my collection. And I will buy DVHS recordings of my favorite films when they're available. I've got Ice Age, GalaxyQuest, Independence Day and X-Men. Every one of them blow the DVD out of the water and not one dropout or issue of any kind!

Thanks for caring :)

-Pannyman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt,

The posts on AVS do not reflect every owner of JVC decks. Of course I'm not a JVC employee. I'm the voice of reason. I'm sharing my experience with it just like everyone else. My experience happens to be positive.

-Pannyman

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Panny,

Come on, take it easy man. When somebody shells out $1k for a product and they have it constantly getting repaired and out of service, they have every right to be angry don't you think?

These guys here - Matt, jsaliga, hardwired, h2ofun to name a few - have given very detailed descriptions about the issues/flaws/breakdowns they've had with the JVC deck. And it's happened to them multiple times. Certainly you can understand that frustration. There are many, many threads in this forum dealing with the JVC issues. It's not something they made up just to keep people away from the format. If you read carefully, you'll see that they all love the format, they just want their investment to work correctly.

Don't attack them because a sense of insecurity is creeping into you about whether your deck will stand the test of time. (Don't try to deny that either. ;)). I just got the JVC earlier this week as an early X-Mas gift from my wife and I've been keeping tabs on all the chatter around here for a couple of months now. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones, but if not, at least these guys have detailed what steps need to be taken if an issue arrises.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sangs,

Of course I understand that frustration. But when I read posts like
Quote:
Let's see. At least 20% have problems with less than 300hours. Remind me how you like your crow when the time comes
and

Quote:
I guarantee you will not be happy when your DVHS HD recordings and miniDV archives are a sea of block pixels.
don't you think they're misleading? Of course they are! I'm not the one attacking at all! Go back to my very innocent post that began this thread. Then I get replies like
Quote:
Welcome to Death Valley. You're in for some real hell.
Am I? Will 100% of the people who got JVC decks experience a failure? I would think not. These are the kind of unwarranted blanket statements that don't help anyone.

And of course there's insecurity, I won't deny that. I too received the deck earlier this week as an early Christmas present. If I have issues with it, I'll be right back to this forum to describe my experience in a productive and positive way. Sure I'll be frustrated and bummed but I won't make rediculous statements about it.

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones, too. I feel for the guys in this thread, I really do. If I have issues I'll do my best to help the cause. But lashing out at me because I have a positive attitude doesn't help.

-Pannyman

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Panny,

The hits started flying only after you responded with the "HAHA" post. The only thing before that was the "Welcome to Hell" post from MikeM and a couple of innocent one-liners. Nobody said that D-Theater sucked or that format should be abolished or anything like that. (In this thread.) Look back through the thread. You kind of brought the backlash onto yourself don't you think? The "misleading" stats and such only came after your prematurely defensive post. That's all I'm trying to say. I hope you (and me) have no issues with the JVC either, trust me on that. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sangs,

This could go on endlessly but I'll stop posting now. Good luck with your deck and enjoy the format. I know I will :)

On an unrelated note, I get my AA 1154 today! Much needed now that I have the JVC deck.

Still not enough component video ports, though. I'm hooking up my RP91, Panny HD STB, JVC DVHS and Xbox. That leaves the PS2 and Gamecube out in the cold. Oh well....life is compromises.

-Pannyman

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pannyman
sangs,

On an unrelated note, I get my AA 1154 today! Much needed now that I have the JVC deck.

Still not enough component video ports, though. I'm hooking up my RP91, Panny HD STB, JVC DVHS and Xbox. That leaves the PS2 and Gamecube out in the cold. Oh well....life is compromises.

-Pannyman
Buy two! I'm about to. :D

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.