AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’ve been out of the hobby for much of last year due to the fact that my old Mitsubishi RPTV was finally starting to die (Got it in the mid 1980’s, so I can hardly complain). All this changed however when final authorization was given to purchase a new TV. Today we came home with a Mitsubishi WS 55511 55†TV. I know it’s an older model, but I’m satisfied with the deal we got :)

After spending almost 8 hours hooking everything up, tweaking things, and playing around, I find myself with lots of questions. I’d like your guys help.

I am heavy duty into computers, so when I found the TV had a “VGA input†I was excited to say the least. To have a dedicated computer for the TV hooked up in a manner which was so native was a major selling point. (I’ve previously had it hooked up with either S-Video or composite). I was very disappointed though, because it would only do 640x480. That in itself wasn’t as disappointing as the fact that none of the Stretch/expand/zoom/etc options functioned when using VGA input. I had envisioned it being much the same as when I watch a letterbox laserdisc/DVD. In that case, what I would do would be to switch it to expand mode once the movie started which would bring it from its tiny inner box to its proper dimensions. With the VGA input however, it was permanently in stretch mode which was awful and the only way I think I might ever be able to use a computer to watch movies via the VGA input would be to stretch it vertically on the source to compensate for the horizontal stretching the TV does, though I’m not sure how I’d even go about doing that, sigh…

I noticed on the back, in addition to the many component inputs, there appeared to be one that had 5 inputs, meaning the horizontal and vertical hold on different cables I believe. This is strikingly similar to the setup one of my high end 21†computer monitors uses. It has a cable which takes the analog video signal from the computer and splits it into 5 separate BNC cables which then go into the monitor. Could I do this on the TV also?

A quick search on google lead me to a store that sold this cable:
http://gotnorice.dynu.com/st_HD15M5R10.jpg

If I were to use this cable to hook up my computer to the TV using the RGBHV inputs, would I still have the same limitations I had when using the VGA input? Ideally, I’d like to be able to set the computer to run at 1920x1080, which I believe conforms to 1080i HDTV.

So do you think I’m headed down the right track with this cable idea?

Also, I understand that the TV is capable of 480i, 480P, and 1080i, but no form of 720 whatsoever. In all likelihood, will this prove to be a huge limitation of the TV? What happens if I have a 720 source, is it upconverted to 1080 or downconverted to 480? I can only speculate.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to provide.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Ok, I'll try to help you out a little here. First thing we need to know is what type of graphics card you have in your pc. Have you downloaded and installed PowerStrip yet? This is a must do. If you have an AIT Radeon graphics card, you need to download and install Catalyst 3.4 . If you have a different type of video card, I'm not sure I can be of any help.

If you do have a Radeon and have completed the above steps, go into the HTPC forum (Home Theater Computers) and at the top is a sticky called Custom Resolutions. Read that thread and you'll be on your way. Use a resolution of 856x480 for desktop and internet use and 1776x1000 for dvd viewing.

I believe you don't need that vga-5 bnc break-out cable, because I think you can get these resolutions to work just through the vga port. But, I'd go ahead and order one just in case.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well for right now i'm just using my laptop, which has a Radeon Mobility 9200 in it. I'm running modified Cat 3.10 drivers on it (3.10 as in 3.ten not 3.one). The laptop has a VGA connector for an external display. I'm familiar with powerstrip and have it installed.

I thought I remember trying to run a higher resolution on the VGA port, but looking back I can't remember if I did or not, i'll have to give it another shot.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Again, drop to the Cat 3.4's . Some have gotten the 3.10's to work properly, but many, including myself, have not. As soon as I went back to 3.4, it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well today what I did was I took the VGA breakout cable from my 21†computer monitor (replaced it with a regular VGA cable which works fine). I went to radioshack and bought 5 BNC to phono jack converters (at $5 each, sigh) and that gave me the cable I needed.

When I first plugged it in, it didn’t seem to work. I set it to 1920x1080 and nothing would come on the screen. When I clicked the interlace option in powerstrip a garbled image would come up on the screen. I was able to get it working at 640x480, which the TV seemed to recognize as 480p. Being that wasn’t widescreen, and the same as the VGA input, I started trying different resolutions. I got 856x480 to work, which the TV seemed to recognize as 1080i. I’m not sure why, I’m pretty sure that’s still 480P right? Anyway, anything beyond this is just icing on the cake because it works GREAT at 856x480 and I’m not sure I would need to go higher than that anyway (if there is a reason I should try, let me know). DVD’s looked incredible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.