AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster but long time reader. I wanted to thank the guys here that ceaslessly answer questions from newbies like myself. I looked at a bunch of tvs in the 42-46 inch range and finally settled on the 42313 Mitsu, I know it's an 'entry' level tv, but it's a really nice entry level to me!

I wanted to help anyone that is thinking through the same process.

My situation, about 8ft from the tv in the living room of my apartment. it's a big room, but there's a fireplace as well as a flow-thru to the dining room and kitchen so while i could have fit something as large as a 51", i didn't want to dominate all the shared space with a tv that large. My other preference was that I wanted a tabletop model. I *have* room for a separate AV rack, but i did not *want* a separate AV rack.

This actually made for a short list of televisions, I quickly decided that an RPTV was the best value. While I've always had tube televisions, my parents own a 36XBR from the first generation, as well as a 1st gen 32" WEGA, I have a 20" flat-tube tv now and I'm typing this through a 24" Sony CRT, so I am comfortable with tubes. But the maturity of CRT RPTVs and the great dollar value made me look at those. I like the viewing angle of the DLPs model, but the technology was too new for me. I figure buy my tv now and upgrade in 3-4 years. I'll end up spending the same amount of money or less, and i'll get to enjoy this one.

TVs that I considered and some quick personal notes on them--these are *my* opinions, please do not consider them the final word. do what I did, take opinions from this board, to help you look for certain things. if i found something extra sharp or blurry, check if *you* can see the same thing, if not maybe that tv is for you.

Toshiba 42H83--was on sale at best buy this week, made even better with 10% off so price is a plus, also only 19" deep. minus for me, it is a full size. PQ was very inconsistent, but in general it was a little too soft for me, borderline blurry.

Toshiba 46H83-bright screen, only 21" deep, PQ was noticeably & consistently better then the 42" one. price is good at MSRP of $1499 + the occasional 10% at many dealers. To my eyes i thought the PQ was similiar to the Hitachi but i couldn't do back to back comparisons so take that for what is worth. a minus is the weight, 20% more screen then the 42" but it weighs 175lbs vs 110.

Hitachi 46F500-I liked this one a lot, some co-workers have had theirs (maybe last gen?) for over a year and very happy with it. In the end, if i could've found a good deal on this i would've gone for this model or the 46W500 (with DVD) which was $100 more.

Mitsubishi 42313 & 42413- i looked at both of these, to be honest i could not tell a difference except for the obvious external casing. Looking at the Mitsu documentation (as well as this board) there seems to be conflicting information about the difference between the 42313 and 42413 but bottom line for me, I could not appreciate the differences. This tv was consistently good every time I looked at tvs. It was the first tv i considered, and in the end the last. It's also a bonus that at ~100 lbs this TV is manageble for 2 normal people to move around, notice i said normal people and not 2 movers :)

It did not hurt that i got a great deal on the tv (see below). It gets delivered on tuesday. I just need to decide on a stand, and a new dvd player and ....

thanks again for all the help, i'll continue to read this board. I hope this post can help some people.

Minh

PS

For those looking at a Mitsubishi, if you're considering one that is sold by Sears, here's some info that can save you money. I cannot take credit for this, as it is similiar to the Hitachi deal at Sears from december. Sears currently has a $200 rebate on all mitsubishi tvs that they sell thru 2/28/04. I was able to pricematch my 42313 with BestBuy (10% off sale) and take advantage of the $200 rebate. I negotiated the 10% off with no mention of the rebate, it was not much negotiation as i simply brought in the BestBuy flyer and showed it to them. Luckily BestBuy had the exact Mitsubishi listed in the flyer so 10% right there. At the conclusion of my purchase the $200 rebate printed out at the register, my sales guy was not aware of it (but i was!) I'll let you do the math, but it was a better deal then i could get anywhere else. And with the 0% financing for 1 year, waiting for the rebate is not a problem!

Since the rebate is good until 2/28, you still have time to get a similiar deal. The sales people are treating the rebate as a bonus and it's not being factored into pricematch. The hardest part is getting them to accept an 'advertised' price. Mitsubishi does not allow price advertising below retail (so it seems), so you have to negotiate if you don't have a printed ad like i did.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice deal dude! I've also been looking for a set under 50", I have limited space as well and don't want a set taking over the room. When I'm in the stores looking, they all dont' look that big to me, but when I break out the measuring tape at home I can start to appreciate the size of the sets.

I've been looking at the 48313, 42313, and the Samsung and Akai sets in the 42" range. The AKAI and Samsung sets have the smallest footprint for the size of the screen, and the Akai set can be had for $[Price Removed] at Costo.

I wish I could just tell how much better the Mitsubishis are in picture quality over the Samsung/Akia made sets. I want to spend under $2000 grand (including taxes and a warrenty if needed). Does your model have the 64 point convergance?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recently took the plunge too, and after looking at scores of makes and models went with the mits 48313. Looked at the tabletop models but by the time I bought a stand...you're at the same price as a larger screen. Bought mine at Sears too and got a great deal...by the time the salesman was done discounting I got it for $300 under Sears' advertised price...and since I'm outside their service delivery area got another $50 back for the free delivery. I had to pick it up myself but it was worth it. I didn't get the $200 rebate though...will need to check their website to see when it started.

Great PQ out of the box....now to get AVIA and start tweaking!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oldgoalie,

the rebate started 1/18/04, but you need the upc from the box to claim it. I agree with your value assessment that the required stand for the 42" kills the price benefit, but i couldn't deal with the full size 48" AND the required AV rack. I was watching the 48 at the store and it is a nice looking TV. I also did not buy the Mitsu stand at Sears, for some reason they BestBuy sells the same stand for $100 less then Sears, go figure. I haven't decided if i'll get the Mitsu one (which has not shelf), an IKEA one, or build a simple one myself...

I need to get AVIA but it's expensive! $50! well at least i can wait a few weeks for it to break-in before needing to get it!

akdude,

about the 64point thing, the documentation says all the Mitsubishi ones have that. the 42" does not have as many stretch modes or the nicer lens in the 48413. But i just couldn't see the difference in picture quality for the 42" ones.

you're kind of all over the place with the models you're comparing! as far as some of the brands you mention, I like the fact that the samsung 42" is only about 20" deep. the stand is also reasonable at $100 (though it only fits 1 component), but i found the picture a little dark and not as sharp. It is a nice look tv though.... I didn't look at the 47" Samsung

i can't comment on the AKAI.

I generally consider brands like Hitachi and Mitsubishi as premium brands over say Samsung and to some degree Toshiba. With the discount and the rebate on the Mitsubishi right now, you negate some of the cost for the higher brand.

I'm suprised you can't see the difference between the Samsung and the Mitsubishi, if the Samsung really looks that good to you then go for that. Don't get too wrapped up about footprint. I have a 20inch tube television now, and the depth on that is around 21inchs, so the mitsu is not that much deeper!

But with the current promotions you can easily pick up a Mitsu 48313+ warranty for under your $2000 budget after the rebate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
minhi, I am leaning towards the minhi, there are three things that drag me to the AKAI set.

1. Price $999

2. It's made by Samsung, identical to the Samsung 42" set except for DVI.

3. Costcos no questions asked return policy. If the set fails whenever... just take it back.

I guess its hard to judge the sets just by looking at them in the stores, working off the same feeds and needing adjustment.

I know the 48313 is a better set, and with the $200 rebate, that helps a lot! Sears didn't have the set in last week, I'll give them another look tonight or tommorrow.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
akdude47,

comparing the 48313 with that akai is not really fair. if you compare the 42313 that i got with the akai, the Mitsu is only about 15% more after rebate--which i think is well worth it.

if you get the 48313, that's around 25% more screen, and it's a better picture to boot. good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats Minhi on your purchase. I just bought the WT-42413 after 4 months of painstaking research and hair pulling. The AVS Forum was a great resoruce in my research so thank to all. After going to just about every retail store in the Dallas area and price shopping online, I ended getting mine at Kellum and Sons. Normally know for their high prices and great servcies. But on Jan 2nd they started price mathcing anyone in metroplex. I ended up getting the 42-413 for the same price Best Buy was selling the 42-313. so I was happy with that. Although the sales guy told me one would be hard pressed to find a PQ differance between the 2, I hated the way the 42-313 looked. Yeah- its gotta look good when is turned off for me.

42 widescreen was the largest I was willing to go, due to space constaints in my living room. Also, my wife did not want a big TV taking up the whole living room. I seriously considered a 34 CRT widescreen, but its weight, price and picture size in 4:3 foramt were all downsides to the CRT. With w RPTV i could get more screen size, exceltent PQ at a lower price. Plus, my TV is only 100lbs, so it manageblae to move around.

I too limited my search in the RPTV catagory to "table-top" ones and the Mits alwasy came out on top for me. Yes, there is the extra cost of a TV stand, but I was going to buy an Amorie anyway for my new Mits TV- so that was not such a big deal for me.

I'm loving my new TV, and everytime I come home and see it in the living room it makes me feel good. Kinda like getting a new bike when I was a kid. Of course , anything would have been great comparted to the 20 year old 19" Manavox we upgraded from.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yodaisking (sheesh, shouldn't we just use our real names :) )

the weight issue was a big one for me too, 100lbs is manageable to for two normal people to move around.

the issue of a stand is not as big of an issue when you think about the need for an av rack if you buy a full size model. if i had gotten a 48 Mitsu, i would've needed some kind of stand or rack for my av components (all 3 of them!) with a decent TV bench i can avoid that. i think i've settled on one from IKEA, basic bench with shelves.

no problem on the 42413 over the 42313 just because of the case. if sears sold the 42313 i would've considered it too. i didn't come from a 20 year old 19"er, but it is a 20" TV, so this new one is huge!

i still haven't received mine, but i was in best buy today looking at it again. and i'm still happy about my purchase, it looks so good! and i sent some business to sears with the pricematch & rebate thing. my good deed for the weekend!

minh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.