AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just put up my 138inch 2:35.1 Elite screen. I can see the screen material in everything not just a little. It's extremely distracting. My first row of seating is 11 foot. I tried my back row at max about 18 foot and I could still easily see it. Took a few pictures of it taken from about 4 foot away. Let me know if this is normal. Also added a picture with screen samples of XD and UF to show the difference. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Just put up my 138inch 2:35.1 Elite screen. I can see the screen material in everything not just a little. It's extremely distracting. My first row of seating is 11 foot. I tried my back row at max about 18 foot and I could still easily see it. Took a few pictures of it taken from about 4 foot away. Let me know if this is normal. Also added a picture with screen samples of XD and UF to show the difference. Thanks
I am guessing that aint what you ordered..
Here is what Jeff Myer had to say about the AccusticPro 1080 in his screen fabric report. From his writing it is supposed to be a weave not Perf.. however you did say 1080P2 so
maybe that is perf..

AcousticPro1080TM - This material was very tinted for a screen material. It does have a strong
texture and a very open weave used to pass audio through the screen. The weave was also
streaking the image because of variations in the thread density. The sample provided did not
include the black backing that can be purchased with this material so a Seymour backing was
used for light measurements and observations. At 9 feet the weave was frequently visible. This
material would be best for 17 foot or greater viewing distances. Moiré will be more of an issue
with this weave because it is so open as well as the visibility of objects behind the screen if no
backing is used. Treble was 2 db down at 20 kHz compared to the level at 2 kHz. The audio
response effect was a relatively smooth loss from 8kHz to 20kHz. This is not a material I would
recommend because of its low screen gain, poor color performance and open non-uniform
weave.

·
Premium Member
33,217 Posts
I am guessing that aint what you ordered..
Here is what Jeff Myer had to say about the AccusticPro 1080 in his screen fabric report. From his writing it is supposed to be a weave not Perf.. however you did say 1080P2 so
maybe that is perf..

AcousticPro1080TM - This material was very tinted for a screen material. It does have a strong
texture and a very open weave used to pass audio through the screen. The weave was also
streaking the image because of variations in the thread density. The sample provided did not
include the black backing that can be purchased with this material so a Seymour backing was
used for light measurements and observations. At 9 feet the weave was frequently visible. This
material would be best for 17 foot or greater viewing distances. Moiré will be more of an issue
with this weave because it is so open as well as the visibility of objects behind the screen if no
backing is used. Treble was 2 db down at 20 kHz compared to the level at 2 kHz. The audio
response effect was a relatively smooth loss from 8kHz to 20kHz. This is not a material I would
recommend because of its low screen gain, poor color performance and open non-uniform
weave.
All three materials shown above are weaves. Non of them are a perf.

·
Premium Member
33,217 Posts
There are some weaves that work well from 11', but what you purchased is not one of them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some weaves that work well from 11', but what you purchased is not one of them.
Yea I see that now.. I can't really complain to much only paid 248 shipped from amazon for it. Was a dented box. I'll just swap out the screen meterial in it with some XD. Had he wife compare it and she likes the XD the best. Likes the higher Gain. No she doesn't wear the pants lol But she is the one that wanted the bigger screen lol.

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
Yea I see that now.. I can't really complain to much only paid 248 shipped from amazon for it. Was a dented box. I'll just swap out the screen meterial in it with some XD. Had he wife compare it and she likes the XD the best. Likes the higher Gain. No she doesn't wear the pants lol But she is the one that wanted the bigger screen lol.

So you bought a frame cheap - that works. That material is unacceptable IMO. Like watching through a screen door ( for the " real screen door effect " ). XD would be much better.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I don't see it being that hard to use something else with the frame. I was going to just put loops on the XD and run the tab tension through it and call it a day. Now to put like 40+ loops on the screen material will be a pain but you only have to do it once lol .

·
Premium Member
33,217 Posts
Though many do it, I don't like to use XD for 11' or less viewing. I would use a finer weave. That is why I use EN4K from my 9.5' viewing distance.

·
Registered
233 Posts
All three materials shown above are weaves. Non of them are a perf.
Really? I didn't realize a weave could look like the background material. It certainly looks nothing like the image shown on Amazon for the AcousticPro 1080P2 material, or the image shown on ES's website for it either.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Really? I didn't realize a weave could look like the background material. It certainly looks nothing like the image shown on Amazon for the AcousticPro 1080P2 material, or the image shown on ES's website for it either.
You are referring to the last of the OPs photos that has the 2 samples on top.. looked like a perf to me as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a weave if you get super close you can see the weave and your right it looks nothing like the picture . I sent elite a picture about it. They have been going back and forth with me. Had me take a picture with a sheet of white paper on the screen for comparison to rule out my projector as the root of the issue. They haven't gotten back to me yet after that.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
ProjectorScreen.com
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
830 Posts
Pictures would be great. I really hope elite does something about. If your's looks a lot better then mine and it's the same material, I wonder what happened to mine.
I think airscapes is right, You may have received one of their older AT surfaces, like the regular old AcousticPro 1080 and not the 1080p2. Since you purchased the Sable Frame 1 and not the new series 2, you may not be able to find the replacement surface you are looking for as Elite is limited to on-hand quantities of the older series surfaces. These are not compatible with the new series frames (and vice versa). If the budget allows, I would make the upgrade to the Series 2 frame and one of their newer AT surfaces if the budget allows, or contact Amazon to send you a replacement unit with the correct surface. Good luck!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I'm not sure what happened. The box says it's the 1080pro2 . Elite hasn't gotten back to me yet on the pictures I sent them. Want to see what they say and if I need to I guess I'll send it back to amazon. Then just do a DIY XD screen. Like to see some pictures of what it's really should look like vs what mine looks like.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea I'm not sure what happened. The box says it's the 1080pro2 . Elite hasn't gotten back to me yet on the pictures I sent them. Want to see what they say and if I need to I guess I'll send it back to amazon. Then just do a DIY XD screen. Like to see some pictures of what it's really should look like vs what mine looks like.
Ok, i got my screen mounted last night. Everything looked good, the material looked fine... until i fired up the projector. Bottom line: it has INTENSE moire. Incredibly distracting on bright scenes, and hockey was basically unwatchable (although, at least Detroit lost...) I can't see texture for even 6' away, but that doesn't matter because the moire is so terrible.

Here it is mounted

Material from like 2", with flash on

Material from 6", with flash on

From ~3 ft

Moire

I hung up a piece of paper to show how there is moire on the screen but not on the paper

Again, paper (top left) versus screen

I will be contacting Elite to see what they'll do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's so how mine looks. Yours is at least angle cut, mine isn't even angle cut. Guess it's time to send it back or just DIY some different material into the frame.
Yes, it is at an angle. Interestingly, as you zoom the projector in or out, the angle that you observe the moire changes. And if i zoom out far enough (like to expand a 2.35 movie in CIH mode), the moire goes away completely. I assume once the pixels are much bigger than the weave holes, there isn't a problem anymore. By my estimate, this screen would work fine with a 1080p projector, if your vertical dimension is at least 55". Below that, you'll see moire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts