AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ... screwed up the title - mods please fix.

I need some serious help with my new Panny 42PZ80 -

First PDP for me and I have to say I'm impressed. I was struggling to replace a 37" Toshiba LCD in the bedroom (will move to excersize room), looked at all the avail LCDs on the market, then got what I thought was a great deal on a Panny 42PZ80.

Got it for $799 and I have to say - it will convert me to PDP for all serious watching! We have an XBR3 52" in the family room and it does vry well given the conditions (on 16hrs a day in bright room). So far I love this TV. Who knew (avid LCD guy) that I would be sold on PDP immediately. If conditions in the family room (main viewing area) permitted, I would have a Pio 151 in a heart beat.

On to my help!

Since this is a bedroom TV, does anyone know if there are direct IR codes avail for the sleep timer on the 80/85 series? I pulled the remote out, saw it's simplicity, and thought "This ain't gonna be good".

Last thing folks want to do when they are sweepy is navigate menus to set a sleep timer. Is a direct button function available to cycle sleep minutes by "push", what are others doing, and can I vent a bit that a direct sleep button should be FUNDAMENTAL to every display panel made?

Yes - I did the search - only post that came up is the 50+ page owners thread that might "include" the word sleep. Sorry - not gonna waste my time with going through THAT thread.

Any solutions out there?

Maxxer

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Flipping through the Harmony database, I don't see anything for you. You've got discrete Power and discrete Input codes, but nothing related to Timers or Sleep that I can see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats on the 42PZ80!

If your bedtime and/or late night viewing habits are consistent, you could just set a timer to turn it off at a particular time each night. (The multiple timer functions on these sets are wonderful - I've made one post in another thread about it already). By having a timer set, you could eliminate pushing buttons on a regular basis.

In my case, I have a timer set each morning to turn the set off right before my son goes to school. Just in case he decides to waste another minute before heading out, I set a second timer for a few minutes later. Paranoid? Sure. But the function is there, so I use it!

Look on page 36 of your manual for details.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses!

I'm gonna try learning the codes after I'm in the menu.

Might be tricky but if the IR codes are direct (not shifted) it might work.

[edit] - ok, so learning them directly didn't work .... any ideas?

Any thoughts on price? Seemed good to me so I pulled the trigger.

Vmaxxer

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
This was somewhat of a drawback when I had my Panny LCD setup in my bedroom to replace my Samsung HDCRT that just konked out on me. I was used to just pressing a sleep button when I got sleepy. Now I have had to resign myself to constantly navigating the menu. The worst part is that I hate the fact that I have to constantly have to go in and set it to 60 minutes instead of just activating it. I don't think there can't be a discrete code for that function because it's just a matter of using the navigation buttons to manipulate the menu. Luckily a sleep timer usually isn't the deciding factor on whether I purchase a set or not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/15452101

Luckily a sleep timer usually isn't the deciding factor on whether I purchase a set or not.

Nor for me ... unless the target location for said TV is the bedroom.

The issue here is access to the sleep timer, and it simply makes NO sense to have to navigate a series of menus to activate a sleep timer. Hit a button and be done with it. Progressively hit it to increase time. Been around for at least 20 years, yet some companies just don't get it.

Only disappointment in the set so far, but in-excusable in my book. What freakin' dope came up with the fact that I want to NAVIGATE a series of menus when I'm tired?

Ooooh ... guess I should activate the sleep timer, via menu navigation, BEFORE I'm wanting to drift off to sleep?

Are there ANY direct IR codes for this? (please, please, PLEASE!?!?!)

Maxxer

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Don't worry man. I feel exactly the same way. I couldn't really believe that they expect me to navigate that series of menus just to turn on a stinking sleep timer. I hate it especially when I'm sleepy. Even my crap cable boxes that I abhor don't have a one button sleep timer but the quick settings button takes me right to it in 2 button pushes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a call tp Panasonic is in order .... not that they can help me now.

I'll hopefully save my future self (its only me) when all panels are less than 1mm deep. Yet it will take me more time than it's worth to navigate to the sleep menu.

Nice to see they are working on future tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts