AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
52" and I absolutely love it. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever, SD looks pretty good...my dtv gets upgraded this saturday, DVDs on component looks pretty good. Sat in front of it all weekend long. Just thought I'd throw in my feedback for anyone on the fence about it like I was a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hows the digital noise around the edges especially on DVDs? Also, how far back are you and do you see the SSE?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a little bit of digital noise on SD and dvds, but it seems to have gotten better the more I watched it. And of course messing w/ the settings helped a little. Our couch is about 8-10' away, the picture looks much better now that I got my stand (about 3-4 feet off the ground now). I'm a newbie at this, not sure what SSE is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SSE=Silk Screen Effect It is an artifact caused by the projection screen material. It makes the picture look as if it is being viewed thorugh a silk screen. It tends to be seen to some extent on RPTVs. I don't know if it is an "official" artifact like SDE (Screen Door Effect) is.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just got mine delivered today as well and I wish I was as happy as the first post. SD (Digital cable) looks awfull. So I held my breath and moved onto DVD. Pro Scan hooked up via component. Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc looked incrediable. A little ghosting around the edges of nemo in some scenes though. X2, LOTR and the Bourne Idenity failed to imprerss at all. Noise was bad, some green tint problems on X2 and LOTR was bad in the dark scenes. So I figured at least my Xbox in 480p would havta look good. (Xbox was the only thing that looked good on my previous Sammy DLP. Had to return due to rainbows thoguh.) And Xbox looks as bad as SD. I have spent the last 2 hours playing with settings to no avail. I'm going to play with DVE. I'll be back after I'm done.

What doesnt make sense is the Xbox. How can 480p on a HD set look 30%-50% worse than when in 480i on Sony Wega?

·
Registered
299 Posts
DVE doesnt come with instructions? How the heck am I supposed to know what they want me to do during these patterns? errrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

·
Registered
299 Posts
thanks for the info but I still have no clue what stuff like "35% Window w/New PLUGE" means. I see all the test patterns, but there is no explination on what I'm looking for when adjusting. Man I hope I can make this set work. $250 to return back to TVA.

The Xbox should look great. I have the monster componets hooked up. It looks bad compared to before.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
From what I've read here, the Xbox is about the worst DVD player you can buy. So I would not judge anything that uses the Xbox as the source of DVDs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have had my 52" D-ILA for a week and I get my HD-DVR box tomorrow. The more I use it the better the PQ seems. I was getting some great PQ on my SD digital box last night, that I was almost looked like HD. I am looking forward to getting a decent upcomverting DVD player so I can see how DVDs can really look. With my cheapo player they are good, but not as good as I want them to be. I keep tweeking the settings on the set and have used DVE. I was not real thrilled with the DVE instructions either. Edbetty, thank you so much for finding where there is some more help on the DVE site. I had searched for it and passed right over that section. I am really surprised that the disk doesn't tell you how to use all of the various tests.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my 52" JVC D-ILA for two weeks now and I've only got one major problem with it -- a loud fan noise. I can easily hear it from the listening position, except when the audio from the source is fairly loud itself. In conversations it lurks (noticable if you try to hear it), and during lulls it sticks out terribly.

I measured the noise level at 56dB with the meter right at the TV. Is this normal? Can anyone tell me if they are having a similar problem? Is this, in fact, a defective set or is my hearing just too sensitive?

I have been playing phone tag with JVC on this for a week now. If I can't get any help from them soon (or if they tell me it's not a malfunction) I'll definitely be returning the set.

Oh yeah -- I hooked up an HR10-250 (HD DirecTivo unit) with the HDMI connector & it didn't work -- picture was cloudy and dark green. Works great over component, though, so I can still use it. HDMI connection from my DVD player works fine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
IF i cant get A brand new 3K+ tv to look better than my 5 yr old one then this is going back. I am so disapointed. I read soooooo many good things on here about this set. I got SD to a point that I would keep, if only I could get the Xbox games to look good. Last year I had A Sammy DLP and an Ultravison LCD. My xbox looked mind blowing on both of them as did HD. But DVD and SD were bad enough that I returned them both.

Overall the TV has a "washed out" look. Dont think I can handle the gray bars on side. And there is a green tinge on the edge of the picture where the picture and bars meet. Any adive on some settings or something would be great, as I really want to try to make this work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I JUST GOT MY 52" TOO!! I am so happy! It looks awesome, too bad I don't have any Digital cable so SD looks terrible, but gaming/dvd is awesome. I will take some pics once I have everything setup (along with the official JVC stand).

·
Registered
299 Posts
What r u guys comapring your gaming to? I went from a 36' Sony Wega non-hd. Had Xbox hooked up via componet.

I think the PQ when gamming is way worse with the JVC. A lot of gamming goes on in my house, so that was one of main reasons in getting the set.

Also all the yellows on the set have a green tint to them. IE, the goal post on MNF is a mix between neon green and yellow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by availingfaith
What r u guys comapring your gaming to? I went from a 36' Sony Wega non-hd. Had Xbox hooked up via componet.

I think the PQ when gamming is way worse with the JVC. A lot of gamming goes on in my house, so that was one of main reasons in getting the set.

Also all the yellows on the set have a green tint to them. IE, the goal post on MNF is a mix between neon green and yellow.
Just making sure, availing, did you go into the XBox console prior to inserting a game and turn on all the HD functions in the display settings? I have to say, I think the XBox looks amazing on the JVC and I am going from the 32" Wega non-HD too.

What games have you tried? I would say try Soul Caliber 2 if you have not or X-Men Legends. Those both do 720p and look jaw-dropping incredible on this set. I even fired up KOTOR and it looked great. I am playing Zelda as we speak and THAT looks great too. And for the Cube I am using a pretty crappy S-Vid cable.

BTW, I found a dead pixel on my JVC! So, I did manage to find one thing wrong with it (I said I hadn't in another thread :))

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fan is quite loud on mine too. I was hoping that it would get quieter when they replace it (due to stuck pixels), but I guess not.

Why not use a good ball bearing fan? Or a large fan? Sheesh... Well it's better than rainbows and eye strain.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Along the left side of set is green line. On the gray bars there are what look like smudges on it, but are inside.

I tried switching cables and inputs for the Xbox it did help but even with the detail at -20 and brightness -10 there are still serious "jaggies" all over. The aiming resticule is no longer a circle but yet a series of squares making a circle. I'm even gonna worry about the green and smudges until I figure out if I'm not even keeping as I dotn think fixing either would help over all PQ.

As for which games, I'm using the same games I have used on others to make sure its a fair test. Links and Rainbow 6 Black Arrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
As for which games, I'm using the same games I have used on others to make sure its a fair test. Links and Rainbow 6 Black Arrow.
Man, that scares the crap out of me.... I play more Rainbow Six: BA than anything else on XBox....

Plus, XBox is my main DVD player....

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
DVE doesnt come with instructions? How the heck am I supposed to know what they want me to do during these patterns? errrrrrrrrrrrrr..............
I guess that's why most people recommend Avia, it's very easy to use with easy instructions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.