Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
As far as your Dreamcast goes, just get a VGA box. It will pass out a 640x480 progressive signal at 60Hz that will be scaled by the projector. This should be better than the deinterlacing circuit of a processor. I have heard from many who do this and are very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the PS2 will need an outboard deinterlacer.
I thought the VGA box only works for games that support it. Or does it work for all games, but the ones that support it look better than the ones that don't?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Randy, I bet you think that I don't enjoy just average transfers! You're right! Once you've seen the really good ones it is hard to watch "average" without being disappointed, even if the movie is really good.

I wish I had an answer, but I don't. When I buy DVDs now if they're not anamorphic I walk on past, even if it's something I think I would enjoy seeing. I'm hopeless.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The VGA boxes for the Dreamcast only work for games that support it. However, some of those boxes also have svideo outs as well that are supported by all games and will also provide a better picture than a composite out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Boblinds is correct, the game has to support VGA, but most of the good stuff does, and it says so on the back of the game's case. I can't wait to get my LT150. I would have had it by now but Fedex and UPS air are not operating right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recieved my new NEC LT-150 yesterday after reading this forum for weeks to get the most information I could and waiting for CEDIA to see what might be coming out. I decided that this project was probably the best bet to get a FP now and in 2 years or so replace it with something significantly better as the technology matures.

I am posting my initial impressions to help anyone who was considering purchasing this projector.

I had already built a 6 ft wide screen using blackout cloth (approx 1.3 gain) - thanks to others in the forum for this idea. To test I was sitting 14 ft away from the screen in a completely light controlled, dedicated room. DVD player was a Panasonic A-310 (non progressive) and a friend Panasonic progressive player (not sure of model number). Both were set in 16:9 anamorphic mode and the LT-150 was set in Cinema aspect ratio. DVD and projector were connected using a 15-pin to 5 BNC computer monitor cable with RCA to BNC adapters on the RGB connectors H and V sync BNC ends were not connected and just left dangling.

First off, this is truly an amazing little projector. What impressed me the most was the color fidelity. I've seen way too many LCD projectors that are washed out and everythings looks like its in a haze. This was not the case with the image I got. The image appears very film like which is something I never got with my RPTV. I know I'm overstating it but its like the difference between looking into a slide projector to see a slide vs seeing the slide projected on the wall. The image is much more pleasing without the light being fired directly at you.

Second, rainbows. I was VERY concerned about this. Never having experienced it first hand I didn't know what to expect. It took me awhile to finally understand what they are. To me they appear as only very temporary flashes when my eyes move rapidly around the screen (one reason I'm just over 2x screen width away is to prevent this as much as possible). So temporary the I wasn't sure whether I was seeing things at first or if there was something really there. The worst case I saw was watching Crouching Tiger with the scene between the two women fighting followed by the tree combat scene. During this fight with the weapons flashing about rainbows were most noticeable on the weapons as my eyes followed the light reflecting off the weapons. In the trees my eyes also tended to follow the light reflected off the trees as they were whipped about causing me to see some rainbows. This is a VERY temporary effect and once my eyes came to rest on that portion of the scren I saw nothing but a crisp image.

Third, dithering. I'm not sure if I saw this or not. The scene was Fantasia 2000 in the Animals on Parade (flamingo with yo-yo segment). During this scene with only the yo-yo using flamingo on screen the background shifts from yellow-orange to yellow-green. During this change I noticed the background seemed to noticeably dither. I don't believe this is just the DVD as I've seen this scene on my old RPTV before and didn't notice it then.

Fourth, different sources. I used my non-prog DVD, a friend's prog DVD and my laptop with a Margi DVD decoder card. The prog DVD player looked slighly sharper and more detailed than my non-prog player but not significantly so. I the Fifth Element where LeeLu jumps off the building and crashes into the cab the difference was most evident. You could see more detail in the cars flying many layers below. I couldn't see any difference at all between my laptop and the prog-scan DVD.

I think my course of action on this is going to be to get a Quadscan Elite scalar so I can watch laserdisc, DirectTV, and DVD as well as play PS2/Dreamcast etc. Does anyone have any experience with this combo?

Mike

------------------

Mike Heyda

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mike, don't worry about artifacts, just enjoy the projector for what it is. I watched Malena last night and didn't see any artifacts - I can't even remember seeing any rainbow. I enjoyed this movie quite a lot - very good transfer.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
As far as your Dreamcast goes, just get a VGA box. It will pass out a 640x480 progressive signal at 60Hz that will be scaled by the projector. This should be better than the deinterlacing circuit of a processor. I have heard from many who do this and are very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the PS2 will need an outboard deinterlacer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grant,

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this one. There's a time for analyzing and a time to sit back and just enjoy the show. That was one thing I wanted to do ASAP after getting the projector. I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie) last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't notice any rainbows and certainly not dithering. But then again I wasn't looking for it, I was just enjoying the movie.

------------------

Mike Heyda

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.