AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We mounted the 106" screen and cranked up the projector! Then we noticed two wrinkles or waves in the screen forming a V. The Deluxe Model B has a tension bar behind the screen that is suppose to, when extended, create a flat, tight screen surface. Not here. At first I thought the tension arm was too tight so I adjusted it hoping the wrinkle would disappear. Nope. Still there. I chatted with a Dalite customer service rep and he said to contact the seller and get a warranty exchange. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The tension bar helps reduce waves, but will not completely get rid of them. You need a tab tensioned screen if you want no waves or go with a High Power where waves will not be discernable when watching content.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Ja Phule is correct. The Deluxe Model B is marketed as a tensioned screen, but it is misleading. The tensioning arm pulls down on the fabric. The reason these screens get waves is due to a lack of side to side tensioning. The only way to stop that is with a tabtensioned screen, of which mostly you will only find electric models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me it looks as if the tension bar is causing the V shaped waves. The waves come to together at the bottom middle. Right where the tension bar connects to the bottom rail.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Could be. See, the usual cause for these waves is weight on the roller. The roller in the B is a 1.5" diameter...decent up to 69"x92" sizes. However, at the larger sizes, it can tend to bend slightly. Obviously it is only connected at each end, so all the weight of the fabric, the pullpoint (middle handle), etc... can eventually cause the roller sag as it is called. This causes the notorious v-shaped waves. There are other causes as well but this is the most common. Now if the tensioning bar on the Deluxe is too tight, it could in essence cause even more roller sag on the screen, causing more distortion.

This is why I rarely sell this model and talk people into a regular Model B instead. Save the dough. :)

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well yes and no. I don't know where you got it from, but there is usually at least 15% restock fee with Dalite, let alone what the dealer might add on (if anything). Then there is the return shipping and reshipping of the new one, which might start totaling much more than the savings of going with the Model B. I apologize that the salesperson you talked to didn't inform you about this in the first place (wherever you got it from). Hey it might be worth checking to see if the restock fee can be waived. If the waves are substantial enough, Dalite might cover it under warranty, which means you can get it exchanged for no cost to you (they pick up the shipping and no restock fee). Sometimes they'll even allow an "upgrade", so mention the Model C as it is a 3" roller, and similar price to the Deluxe B. That actually does a better job at reducing waves since it is a heavier duty unit. Worth a call to your dealer.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Plus Mat White or High Power material, these are best for not showing waves when video is on them. I have both at my house right now. I had video spectra, the VS and HCMW both will shows waves with video. Which screen material did you get?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HCMW. Talked to the sellers and they're having a shipper pick up the screen on Monday and exchange it for another. We'll see if this new one has the same problems. If so, then I will pay the extra cash and upgrade.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkfarter
HCMW. Talked to the sellers and they're having a shipper pick up the screen on Monday and exchange it for another. We'll see if this new one has the same problems. If so, then I will pay the extra cash and upgrade.

It's pretty much a guarantee the HCMW will show shadow waves with video on it. All the non-tensioned screen pick up physical waves. Choose High Power or Mat White is the best advice I can give for dalite screens. Or the new Graywolf from Optoma, that's another one that will work for you.

AVS carries the Graywolf. The other dalites also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Dalite and the seller were quite nice and ready to help out. Good.

They're sending a freight company over to pick up the screen today. Dalite

is sending another Deluxe Model B. I am going to see how this new one plays out.

If by chance (probably) this doesn't fix the problem I'll take the advice of upgrading

to the C model. So we'll see.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I hate to keep giving bad news but the C roller most likely won't eliminant the chance of getting physical waves with HCMW or any other material for that matter. I you need the darker image and ceiling mount you might give the Graywolf a look.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Well... If you it makes you feel any better, I've got a 92" HCMW Model B with CSR and no waves because I leave it down 99.996% of the time. I only pull it up to show my guests "look, it's a pulldown." :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.