AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my component video running on one line to my pj but am wondering what the best way to run it should be???? Here is my scenario. I have a Denon 4802 with component video switching on the back as you probably already know if you're a denon owner. Should I run my cabeling from my dvd and hd receiver to my denon and then from my Denon out. It says it goes to 50mhz. Is this enough or should I buy a switcher and run it through that. What #'s (mhz) do I really need for this? And also on my component video cables what should I look for? Is there a special one for hdtv or not? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There are good and bad points to both ways. My 5803 passes the HD signal with no observbable degradation. It is specified at 100 MHz although I believe even 50 MHz is more than adaquate. It really comes down to a matter of convienence. Going through your receiver can simplify the setup and cabeling thus increasing the WAF. In my case however I often want to watch HD without the surround sound. There is no point is watching the news (OTA Locals in HD) in 7.1 so I bypassed the receiver allowing me to watch TV without having to power up the whole surround sound setup.

As for component cables I won't touch that one. There is more voodoo associated with that subjet than I care to deal with.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Going through your receiver can simplify the setup and cabeling thus increasing the WAF
I'm at a loss for what this is. Sorry for the ignorance.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sorry

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor.

Sometime we need to keep it simple for the rest of the family if they don't share our enthusiasm for the gadgets. A bit sexist I guess.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the infor but please just give me a little advice on the matter. Do you think a certain type of cable really matters????????? I see that some have a better frequency than others. Just a little help if you would:)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If the length of you component video needs to 6 feet or less, any moderately priced component video cable set from Radio Shack or Circuit City will do. If you need long runs for your set up the most cost effective solution is RG6 with the proper connectors and/or adapters installed. If you are not comfortable installing connectors you can order custom set from

bluejeanscable on line for very reasonable prices (sorry I don't have the link at the moment but a search on yahoo should find it). They use RG6 for most of their stuff and its superior to many commercially available component cables.

OK, here comes the on-slought Cringe, Cringe

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may want to look into RGBHV and setting your pj and 6000 to RGBHV and 720P or 1080i, (experiment for your desired setting) bypassing the Denon and use remote control macros for ease of use.

Just to consider all your options

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay, could you explain a little more in detail as to what I would need to do. I wasn't aware that the 6000 has rgbhv on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since you are talking about true HDTV I wouldn't recommend switching at 50mhz. I've done AB comparisons at this level and in some cases even 480p DVD images can lose a little.

I will also second the recommendation of Bluejeans cable. Great product,choices and service.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Ingeborgdot,

In the HDTV setup menu you can define output as YPrPb or RGB.

When RGB is activated, you then connect via HD-15 to your display.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Since you are talking about true HDTV I wouldn't recommend switching at 50mhz. I've done AB comparisons at this level and in some cases even 480p DVD images can lose a little.
What would I do to switch it then. I want to run only one line if possible. Room constraints you know.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Run the individual component cables into your receiver, and run just one to your projector. You probably won't notice a difference, and it's certainly more convenient.

'Component Switching' is often 'misunderstood.' I can't say for sure with Denon, but most if not all receivers simply pass through the component signal. If you would, imagine using a barrel connector between two RCA terminated cables. The quality of that 'connection' is the only variable determining the integrity of the signal that passes through it. With my B&K receiver, for example, the middle, or signal lead on all three incoming component connectors (x 2) simply touch a thick copper bus bar (kind of like that barrel connector). It passes (switches) the incoming signals through to the output connectors. That thick copper bar (1ga+??) has got to be at least as good as that 22ga component cable that's feeding it, right? If it will pass a friggin' lightning strike through to ground, it would most certainly have the 'bandwidth' to pass virtually any low level analog signal through for goodness sake!:) Don't get sucked into the cable manufacturers' voodoo marketing hype!

If your receiver will pass-through the component signal, even when it is switched off, then you have a setup similar to mine. No voodoo there.

BTW, the BlueJeans component cable is as big as a garden hose. That doesn't have high WAF in my theater room. But, NightHawk is right-on there. If garden hose works for you, then bluejeans is VERY sensibly priced. They don't claim that their cables are made from platinum-coated, cryo-temperd, rarified oxygen-enriched gold, spun from the bullion from Black Beard's booty by none other than Tinker Bell herself (which would most definitely improve the picture;);)), but they work!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like John Kotches described go to the HD6000 setup, and choose the output type, as well as 1080i or 720P. You'll need a cable with the HD15 Male connector as described on one end and what ever your projector uses on the other end of the cable i.e. typically BNC or RCA ...

I am not familiar with your projector, but it should have separate RGBHV and commponent inputs. That would be your switch point between the 6000 and your other component video sources.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.