AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my new TH-50PX500U arrived safe and sound. So far it looks and sounds great. But when I turn on my stereo, I have a ground loop (buzzing). I'm off to get a cheater socket as a work around, but what is real solution for this? I'd prefer to have all three prongs utilized long term.

:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only way to get rid of it is to use an isolated ground for your display. In my home theater I had the same problem. I just got rid of that pesky prong for grounding on the plug. Problem solved.

The loop may not be from display though. It's probably the connections of your components (DVD), your AV receiver, etc. They are both plugged into the same outlet then connected to each other for video or audio. Maybe you can find the one that's causing the loop and get rid of the ground prong for that?

How's the TV?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYTON2V
How's the TV?
So far, no regrets. It looks bigger in my house than the 50 inchers looked in the store. Even my wife (who thought our 27" TV was fine) admits she likes it. The picture quality is great so far, although it will be another week before Charter cable can "professionally install" the cable card so I can get high def TV (on the phone, the dopes at Charter told us we could go by the local office to pick one up, but when my wife got there, she was told she couldn't get one as it had to be installed by them).

The only annoyance thus far with the TV is that the built-in program guide is combersome to setup and use.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The source of your ground loop is most likely the cable TV system. They are very rarely properly grounded. It's not a real good idea to run your equipment with the ground defeated.

Breaking the prong off is not an "isolated ground."

·
Registered
110 Posts
My post wasn't meant to imply that losing the ground prong isolated a ground source for that device. Probably should have separated my thoughts a bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the buzzing you speak of coming from the back of the set?

I got my 500U two days ago and I'm hearing a buzzing from the back of the set that is very annoying. It emits the buzz whether my stereo is on or not.

I was asking on the forum if there was a workaround for buzz coming from the back of the set.

If you know of anything, do tell.

Thanks,

mk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Is the buzzing you speak of coming from the back of the set?

I got my 500U two days ago and I'm hearing a buzzing from the back of the set that is very annoying. It emits the buzz whether my stereo is on or not.

I was asking on the forum if there was a workaround for buzz coming from the back of the set.

If you know of anything, do tell.

Thanks,

mk
FOr me, the buzzing is coming from the stereo speakers, and not from the TV. I suspect that Nuke is correct and my cable TV line is the root cause. I'm just not sure how to fix it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.