AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So last night my new PN50C550 arrived, and I could not be happier. It looks incredible.

Question,

Is it important to 'break in' newer plasma's?

I watched football on it last night, and played a video game for 10 minuets, Just to test the picture.

I'll be working on calibrating the tv tonight, but is that all I should need to do? I heard break-in can be as simple as using it for a week with high brightness and low contrast, then reverse it for another week...rather than burning a true break-in DVD.

I guess I'm worried about burn in, and how much of an issue that can be if I don't break the tv in "properly"

Thank you so much for any help, and of course, pictures to come!

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
Depends on who you talk to. Never broke in my plasma with the images etc. I did keep the settings low until I had it calibrated then turned then up. Just watch a large variety of material keep your 4:3 viewing to a minumum and you should be fine
IR is much better these days on both Panasonics and Samsungs. I here the LG's are a little more prone to it. Enjoy your plasma they rock for Sports

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. agree; you might keep the Cartoon Network (HD) or National Geographic (HD) stations running on/off some time or play some Pixar films to 'build-on' the usage. Should be relatively safe a/r the 200hr timeframe.

add: might try Discovery Channel in-place of NG channel; whatever doesn't show harsh logo in corner.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The only reason to "break in" a plasma is if you are going to get it calibrated. You want to age the panel enough so that the calibration remains close. Other than that, it does nothing.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I used the slides really only to get to 300 hours as fast as possible. I knew the slides would continue to run on a cycle for infinity. I didn't have to worry about static images when I wasn't around.

I like gaming and didn't really want to do heavy gaming on it until I got to 300 hrs. As the others said, you really just want to feed it 16 x 9 material and be careful of static images for extended periods of time. This doesn't mean you can't watch ESPN or another channel at all. Just not for hours and hours.

If you think about it, most people have no idea what "breaking in" a plasma even means. Millions of people buy them and a small number break in their plasma. If IR/BI was a huge problem today you would find more people complaining about both of them. I haven't found that to be the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I agree about sports, Monday Night Football never looked so good. Especially upgrading from my 27" Sony tube.

I played madden on it for 2 hours tonight. Right after I was testing out a blu ray demo disc I had lying around.

I noticed that the score/time/ madden logo box (that's on the bottom of the screen when you play) was already "burnt in" I kinda got worried, but assumed I was probably looking into it too much. Watched about 10 minuets of the blu ray. Then turned the TV off... Came back a few hours later just to check. Came to find it seemed like the burn in had either gone away, or faded quite a bit...

Is it common to get "temporary" burn-in on a plasma? Or should I have not played a game that long so soon? Should I adjust my settings at all for it being new?

Contrast is at 45, brightness at 45...

Sorry for all the n00b questions...just worried about my investment I 'spose

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscove /forum/post/19612120

Thanks for all the replies

I agree about sports, Monday Night Football never looked so good. Especially upgrading from my 27" Sony tube.

I played madden on it for 2 hours tonight. Right after I was testing out a blu ray demo disc I had lying around.

I noticed that the score/time/ madden logo box (that's on the bottom of the screen when you play) was already "burnt in" I kinda got worried, but assumed I was probably looking into it too much. Watched about 10 minuets of the blu ray. Then turned the TV off... Came back a few hours later just to check. Came to find it seemed like the burn in had either gone away, or faded quite a bit...

Is it common to get "temporary" burn-in on a plasma? Or should I have not played a game that long so soon? Should I adjust my settings at all for it being new?

Contrast is at 45, brightness at 45...

Sorry for all the n00b questions...just worried about my investment I 'spose

Thanks

It's called Image Retention. Much more common than burn-in. Burn-in equals permanent.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Some people think that treatment during the early period of the panels life has a bearing on how much IR they get. The break-in process really does a few things: it pushes through the hours when the phosphors age the most, but with consistent colors to ensure uniform decay. It also stress tests the sets because break-in settings typically are brighter, etc... than you would normally have your display set to which means that anything seriously wrong with a set is likely to present itself during the break-in period (and WITHIN your return period). The last thing is that it sometimes evens out screen issues like hot pixels, etc.. (this one is iffy since some will claim they would go away on their own, but it definitely helped wash out some young panel artifacts on my kuro).

The fact is that it costs too much money for them to break-in sets for 1000 hours in the factory so they release them often with minor blemishes that should go away on their own. Cycling solid colors just helps speed up that process in addition to getting you past the period where IR is an issue. On one other note, I remember on the 2009 Panasonics with the drastic black level rise they also often had really bad temp IR on the ones that rose the most (voltage being applied far in excess of what was needed to drive the phosphors). If the starting voltage for your specific panel is a little bit higher than it needs, then break-in is better because you're pushing usage on the set to age the phosphors quicker so that they match the voltage being applied sooner so less likely to get IR. And as a final note, IR is a consideration on Samsung and LG plasmas but rising black levels is not (and even if it were break-in would have no bearing on black level).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts