AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my setup,


Center Mythos Ten

Two Front Mythos One

Rear Mythos GEM XL

A5 - 350 Subwoofer


So now, where should I start looking as far as a receiver is concerned? We listen to some music but the unit will see more movies than music.



Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
You'll need to provide a lot more information. Are you looking to power just those speakers, or do you want the ability to power a second or third zone? Will you potentially someday go with a separate amplifier? If so, then you need to make sure you have pre-outs. How many sources do you intend to connect to it, and how many are digital (HDMI) vs. analog (composite, s-video, component)? Do you want one that helps set up the speakers taking measurements from 1-3 listening positions, or 8 positions? There are a lot of other things to consider as well. Your speakers are almost irrelevant to the decision, since any mainstream receiver will power your speakers just fine.


Narrow your list of requirements, and hopefully we can help you narrow your options for you. Look at receivers from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon-Kardon, Pioneer, and Marantz, as they all produce very capable receivers, from $200 up to $5000.


Congratulations on the speakers, though. I'm a DT owner myself, although I prefer the bipolars to the mythos line. They should provide years of enjoyment for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,280 Posts
Very nice speakers, fxs158!



You probably want to add a budget to give us an idea on what you're willing to spend on a reciever.

Any feartures you absolutely have to have, and any on your wish list?

Equipment being connected or future equipment you will want to connect..



A good place to start is MichaelJHuman's sticky thread here if you're not sure:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=968859


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
I am VERY happy with my Denon 989 and Amazon is blowing them out right now for $549. You would not be disappointed, especially for that price. The MSRP for this receiver when it came out was $1199.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16944069


You'll need to provide a lot more information. Are you looking to power just those speakers, or do you want the ability to power a second or third zone? Will you potentially someday go with a separate amplifier? If so, then you need to make sure you have pre-outs. How many sources do you intend to connect to it, and how many are digital (HDMI) vs. analog (composite, s-video, component)? Do you want one that helps set up the speakers taking measurements from 1-3 listening positions, or 8 positions? There are a lot of other things to consider as well. Your speakers are almost irrelevant to the decision, since any mainstream receiver will power your speakers just fine.


Narrow your list of requirements, and hopefully we can help you narrow your options for you. Look at receivers from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon-Kardon, Pioneer, and Marantz, as they all produce very capable receivers, from $200 up to $5000.


Congratulations on the speakers, though. I'm a DT owner myself, although I prefer the bipolars to the mythos line. They should provide years of enjoyment for you.

Thanks for the prompt responses, Budget is 2k, I want to automate house, so what ever I get must be used for that purpose. I will be then having a total of 10 to 11 zones. I'm only having basic sources connected, ipod, blue ray and two satellite receivers. I think I will only have the blue ray as HDMI.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16944081


Very nice speakers, fxs158!



You probably want to add a budget to give us an idea on what you're willing to spend on a reciever.

Any feartures you absolutely have to have, and any on your wish list?

Equipment being connected or future equipment you will want to connect..



A good place to start is MichaelJHuman's sticky thread here if you're not sure:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=968859


Good luck!

Thanks for the link!


Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK /forum/post/16944278


I am VERY happy with my Denon 989 and Amazon is blowing them out right now for $549. You would not be disappointed, especially for that price. The MSRP for this receiver when it came out was $1199.

Will take a look at it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
If your budget is 2k, Amazon is selling the Denon 4308 for $1763. Definitely worth looking into
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
Mentos speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,027 Posts
To pull off the number of zones you are looking at take a peek here... http://www.htd.com/


I have two of their advanced systems running 12 zones in total. And I can tell you right now, you are not going to pull off the above number of zones with a stand alone AVR. And I own an Denon 4308ci, which I would highly recommend, as it integrated nicely into my whole house AV setup.


And I would seriously think of upping your budget a few grand to do it right for at least a self install, unless time is not an issue.


Check out the home automation and whole house, networking threads here too for more info.


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
At $2k, I'd go external amp without hesitation. Grab yourself a nice amp and receiver with Audyssey like Marantz, Onkyo, and Denon. Just make sure that receiver has at least 5-CH preouts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs158 /forum/post/16963736


any other suggestions?

You will need real full house video/audio distribution equipment.


This thread should be about 1 room 7.1 setup. No AVR is going to do even 2 rooms properly IMO.


I have a full house automation system (DIY , Charmed Quark software). You can pick up Extron switches cheap on Ebay, etc and then control them but all that discussion can be found on the AVS house video/audio distribution forum.


Imo, you should have set your budget over all before you spend $$$ on your speakers. Spending $2K on electronics when you only maybe spent that on speakers isnt wise IMO.


Go with a great $500 AVR, there are many to choose from!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs158 /forum/post/16972541


I looking for receiver suggestions not speakers
Thanks for triying.

Who's trying,? I would but look for new speakers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16972568


To pull off the number of zones you are looking at take a peek here... http://www.htd.com/


I have two of their advanced systems running 12 zones in total. And I can tell you right now, you are not going to pull off the above number of zones with a stand alone AVR. And I own an Denon 4308ci, which I would highly recommend, as it integrated nicely into my whole house AV setup.


And I would seriously think of upping your budget a few grand to do it right for at least a self install, unless time is not an issue.


Check out the home automation and whole house, networking threads here too for more info.


Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/16972632


At $2k, I'd go external amp without hesitation. Grab yourself a nice amp and receiver with Audyssey like Marantz, Onkyo, and Denon. Just make sure that receiver has at least 5-CH preouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16972660


You will need real full house video/audio distribution equipment.


This thread should be about 1 room 7.1 setup. No AVR is going to do even 2 rooms properly IMO.


I have a full house automation system (DIY , Charmed Quark software). You can pick up Extron switches cheap on Ebay, etc and then control them but all that discussion can be found on the AVS house video/audio distribution forum.


Imo, you should have set your budget over all before you spend $$$ on your speakers. Spending $2K on electronics when you only maybe spent that on speakers isnt wise IMO.


Go with a great $500 AVR, there are many to choose from!

The home automation is a whole different project altogether, I mentioned it because I wanted to make sure that the receiver I want will be able to work with an extron switcher or something comparable. I do not expect the receiver to do the zones, I did not know if using the receiver for a home automation project was going to be a factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/16973836


Who's trying,? I would but look for new speakers


I can only assume you do not like the speakers I purchased. I recently bought the speakers, if you do not like the speakers then that is your personal prefference, but why come to my thread to bash my speakers? I certainly hope that you have better things to do with your time. I am going to do you a favor and save you some precious time. Welcome to the ignore List! This will keep the back and forth since I will not be able to see the slick wonderfully crafted smart comeback!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top