AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my TV ISFed today. The resulting picture seems a bit dark, though. The following is where my setting ended up when he was done:

Contrast ... -14

Black Level ... -8

Color ... 3

Tint ... -12

Sharp ... -25

It seems to me that the contrast number is just too darn low. I tried changing it to -6 instead and it seems to look better now. The picture isn't so darned dark anymore and it doesn't look washed out like the regular default settings do.

Any thoughts?

Sean Dudley

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
The contrast is set low for a reason. An improved picture quality is achieved at that lower setting. Also the risk of burn in reduced. Put it back there where it was set and give yourself about a week to adjust. You will get used to it and have a better picture. Do a search on Avia, Video Essentials or calibration to get more details.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Here's something else. By turning up the contrast, you have changed the grayscale of the image ... negating some of the calibration that you paid for.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

The way it looks with the contrast set at -14 is so dark that with the lights out, there is detail in the picture that simply doesn't show up. I paused the picture, and adjusted the contrast, and there was picture detail that simply wasn't showing up with the dark contrast setting.

When I raise the contrast, the only thing I can tell is that I can see more detail and the picture is brighter.

Sean Dudley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.