AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Wii here this weekend and have been having a blast with the included Wii sports (my game-novice wife has been killing me at Bowling and *boxing* of all things).

Now, I'm ready to decide on my first game purchase.

I want something a little more "mature" than most of the Nintendo offerings and I want something that uses the Wiimote/Nunchuk as interactively as possible. Here's the list I narrowed down based on what I see as currently available:

Far Cry

Splinter Cell

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Red Steel (heard bad things here at Avs)

Call of Duty (ditto)

Madden NFL

WiiPlay

Anyone have these games and are willing to comment? Except for WiiPlay, they're all priced the same so I'd appreciate any guidance that is available. I'd probably end up picking up wiiplay as a party-game compliment to WiiSports, but I thought I'd include it in there too.

Looking forward to some discussion, thanks!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I demoed Zelda before I got my Wii and probably should've included it on my list above, but I'm not too enamored by the swordplay using the wiimote. I was a big Nintendo player in the past, but never once tried out Zelda (I know, a rarity). Would I have any trouble understanding this game having had no experience with the title?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq /forum/post/0

I demoed Zelda before I got my Wii and probably should've included it on my list above, but I'm not too enamored by the swordplay using the wiimote. I was a big Nintendo player in the past, but never once tried out Zelda (I know, a rarity). Would I have any trouble understanding this game having had no experience with the title?

I don't think you'd have any trouble picking it up with no prior experience. Before they let you dive into dungeons and what not you do a lot of learning of the controls by doing various tasks / training. Having played all the Zeldas in the series, and using the control style of Ocarina/Wind Waker I now believe that I enjoy the Wii's control more. It's more emersive and the on-screen pointer can be more intuitive with range weapons.

It's a fantastic game; rated as the game of the year by many acrossed all platforms. Can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Zelda is fantasic.

Super Monkey Ball is good (think Marble Madness, but with Monkeys)

Rayman is good (very funny/demented, lots of mini games)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts, folks.

I'll definitely add Zelda to the "consider" list above. I'm shooting for more "serious" titles, so the other suggestions, while appreciated, may fall out of that category.

Anyone tried any of those on the above list?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Out of those titles.. I'd pick up Wii-Play by default (an extra £5 on top of another wiimote) and maybe Madden (which supposedly features well implemented controls). Every review I've ready rates Madden pretty highly.. if I was more into American Football, I'd probably buy that.

The rest interest me not.

If you're after a more traditional console game (when you use the word 'serious') only Zelda really fits the bill.

Far Cry, Red Steel and CoD3 are fairly poor 1st person shooters (specially if you've got an XB360 or PC), I dont much like the Marvel game (and the controls are tacked on) but I've only played the PC one so YMMV.

Splinter Cell I havn't played (dont like sneaky games) so I cant comment.

For the record, I've got WiiSports, WiiPlay, Warioware and Zelda (getting Excitetruck when it releases here). To be honest, theres literally nothing else I want for now (already traded Monkeyball, Rayman and Pinball while the trade value was high.)

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:

I guess I can't. Best Buy.com says "coming soon." My mistake, I didn't realize it wasn't released yet.

Goldenbone/GI - Thanks for the informative posts...

WiiPlay should be out 2/13, a great way to pick up an extra remote if you are still on the hunt.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:

I don't think so, but I don't think that Zelda is the best title for illustrating the beauty of the nunchuck / wiimote control system. Since the swordplay isn't 1:1 it doesn't really feel right. You've never played previous games so this won't matter as much, but all 3D Zeldas have projectile weapons and I found them extremely difficult to aim with the N64 and Gamecube controllers. I'd get something close to being in aim, tap the control stick to get it right on, and overshoot by a tiny amount. The wiimote makes those weapons a breeze.

It's a shame that you're dismissing anything that looks childish because Elebits is a great example of the power of the wiimote for 3rd party shooters. It's a bit on the short side so maybe you could rent it, for the science of studying the remote of course
It's a unique shooter because not only does your gun shoot but you can grab, rotate, push, pull, and lift objects with the capture beam (think Star Trek's tractor beam) that comes shoots out of the gun. The control totally blows away dual analog stick control.

You've got the right idea about Red Steel. It's trash. From graphics and control, to cutscenes and load times, the title just feels second rate. It's also an unusual experience to buy a game for a console that looks worse than the average game from the console's last generation brother. Even Wii Sports is better. Call of Duty 3 wasn't much better either.

I do have some recommendations for the future. Metroid Prime 3 will likely be amazing. I certainly can't see it being any worse than the best FPS out there today, and it will make better use of the motion control in the nunchuck.

Heatseeker looks promising. It's a semi-futuristic fighter jet game that's supposed to come out in a month or so. I haven't heard any reviews yet, but the control scheme looks interesting. The game has two control styles to choose from; one seems similar to controlling a character in a FPS while the other has you using the nunchuck as the jet's control stick.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scs0 - Thanks for the helpful, detailed response. I look forward to some of the coming releases (like Metroid), but I need to have something to play *now.*

I'm hesitant about Zelda because I want to really use the controllers' functionality and it sounds like that will only be on range weapons and fishing. I enjoy RPG (was a big Ultima Underworld fan) and Fantasy (LOTR on the PS2) type games however so I'm certainly receptive to the Zelda type of experience. Since it sounds like it's immensely popular, I may just pull the trigger on that this weekend.

As for others, I like the idea of renting to at least check them out. I need to look into the Blockbuster plan where it allows you to have a game out indefinitely for a fixed monthly fee. That might be my best option, since I'm gunshy about getting burned by a game purchase. Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scs0 /forum/post/0

it's a shame that you're dismissing anything that looks childish because Elebits is a great example of the power of the wiimote for 3rd party shooters. It's a bit on the short side so maybe you could rent it, for the science of studying the remote of course
It's a unique shooter because not only does your gun shoot but you can grab, rotate, push, pull, and lift objects with the capture beam (think Star Trek's tractor beam) that comes shoots out of the gun. The control totally blows away dual analog stick control.

I went to gamestop yesterday and purchased elebits used. Your correct about it using the wii controller to its full potential. But other than that i'll be returning it and exchanging it for something else since the game is easy and doesnt hold my attention for too long.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a PC so haven't really been tempted by most of the "serious" games on the Wii yet. Splinter Cell is sublime on the PC but I haven't heard good things about it on the Wii.

I'd second, third, fourth, the Zelda recommendation. I haven't played a Zelda game since the SNES (and even then only on friends consoles) and the plot was definitely not an issue. While the wiimote control is reasonably basic, (swinging the remote activates the sword animation) the gameplay is in depth and once you get into it with the two handed system you'll find while your not acting it out like on the adverts the control is almost instinctual.

I am like you concerned about my next purchase, wiiplay looks a bit throwaway, likewise Wario looks like it lacks depth. SSX arrives next month and looks interesting.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiiplay will probably be a sure purchase because it's really only $10 on the top of another wiimote. It's another good party game, but like you, I'm looking for something with a little more depth for myself.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Even though you havent played zelda games and it doesnt use the new wii functionality as much as other games, it is still so great that you would have to love it. (assuming you get through the beginning without letting it fool you into thinking it will be boring)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry.. should have mentioned that Im in the UK, where WiiPlay was a launch title. It actually gets stacks of play, even though its pretty lightweight.

To be perfectly honest, after Wii Bowling, its the Laser Hockey game on Wii-Play thats gets most action.. Its just got the most lovely tactile control, and the way the controller vibrates when you're close to the edge of the play area, combined with the tron-style graphics just makes me think Im playing an amazingly futuristic game (despite it being basically Pong, and tron being over 25 years old.. go figure!). I'll also add that Im playing it on a 120inch screen on my Panny AE900U proj.. but its a smart game regardless of display.

I've said it before, but I'd just be happy if Nintendo released a Wii-X game once every month or two (wii-music, wii-dance, wii-fight etc).. I'd just buy them and enjoy the superior controls and design, and multi-player goodness. The games dont need to be complicated or deep for me, they just need to feel nice and allow for competitive fun. The only thing that annoys me is the lack of customisation for each of the games.. they could have improved it 100% if they'd allowed different game modes and scoring systems in some of the minigames (Pool is the main offender)

To anyone in the US considering it, its a no-brainer purchase (IMO).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.