AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have an XA1 which I have been enjoying besides the occasional skip, glitch or freeze. I bought an XA2 and recieved it this morning. Hooked it up to my 2nd HDMI input on my Sony XBR2 70" 1080p.

I threw in an SD DVD and thought it looked AMAZING! better than the XA1. I also noticed it booted up MUCH quicker and started the disc much quicker.

an hour later I realized this was an SD DVD I never tried in the XA1 (love song for Bobby Long) - I then put it in the XA1 and it looked...sharper with a tad more color! After a few more comparisons, I noticed the XA1 looked a tad better on this SD DVD from my couch. The XA2 DID smooth things out but was less detailed. I tweaked some settings and still, I could not get as sharp of an image from the XA2.

I then tried Kong and it looked 100% identical to my XA1 with this title in HD. Then I put in Fearless HD and the XA2 skipped, stuttered and froze up! Put it in my XA1 and it played perfectly.

At this point I am not happy. The much hyped XA2 (on this forum) has so far not impressed me with SD when compared to my XA1 and it skipped and stuttered and froze on one of my HD discs. I had to pull the power cord from the wall to power it off as no buttons were responding.

I then tried a few more SD discs. Star Wars Empire Strikes back looked GREAT on the XA2. Smooth and no real artifacts to distract me. The XA1 displayed it with some artifacts but was sharper.

Im a bit worried about the XA2 freezing up on me. I was under the impression Toshiba fixed these problems? The XA2 design is superior to the XA1 imo. Sleeker but still a nice, strong heavy build. Plus its a more attractive player.

Ill continue to try out some HD movies over the next few days and hopefully that freezing problem was isolated to my fearless disc.

So my conclusion from my 3 hours with the machine:

XA1 plays SD DVD sharper but a LITTLE more noise/artifacting. XA2 is smooth but less detailed. Color seems to be more vibrant (just a little) on the XA1. COlor on the XA2 is warmr, more yellowish (slightly). All of the hype on SD playback with the XA2 was a tad overblown here IMO. If you have an XA1 and want an XA2 for better SD playback, keep in mind it will be VERY VERY slight between the two players, and would depend if you prefer more detail (XA1) or a smoother picture (XA2).

HDDVD is just about EXACTLY the same as far as PQ goes between the two. Is the XA2 worth $400 more than the XA1? For that $400 you get

Much quicker boot up. Much quicker disc start. Smoother (bot not sharper) SD pq. Smaller player, its much slimmer than the XA1/A1. Remote is the same pretty much without the motion sensor, which is better.

If it was not for the freeze up and stutter on the XA2 I would be happy with my purchase. Very happy. The fact that it did this one a practically new disc which was viewed once bother me. If it continues I will have to return for exchange.

In any case, just wanted to report a quick comparison, from what I have seen on my display between the XA1 and XA2. The main difference is speed.

Also, both HDMI inputs on my display were set up exactly the same on my XBR2.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
thanks for the review

you need to recalibrate for each player, I was hoping that the XA2 would get rid of all glitches and playback like a normal SD player or a BR player, in other words 100% perfect, call me anal but glitches don't agree with me at all

another question for you being you use HDMI, does the Toshiba have a 100% stable output of whatever resolution you are at? like a upconverting player or again the Samsung BR?

in other words you slap in a disc and it plays or you are looking at the splash screen, or in the setup menus even, does the player maintain a stable video output at all times?, the first Gen Toshibas are a total mess, even going as far as NO video output when you stop a disc

why do I care? it throw fits with my CRT projector, the Samsung BR is perfection in this regard, you set it to 1080i and that is what you get at all times no matter what

-Gary

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
I once A/B'd the Denon 2930 (uses same Reon chipset as XA2) against the Toshiba HD-A1 - both upscaled over HDMI at 1080i - calibrated both very carefully.

I too found the HD-A1 slightly sharper, but with a little bit more noise. I don't know if this is because it's resolving more detail on this disc, or whether they were some kind of other artifact.

But, the 2930 was smoother and cleaner...much better with video-based material and on deinterlacing test patterns.

But, either way, I didn't find the differences between the players huge - perhaps it's more noticable on larger screens (mine is only 57" CRT RPTV).

On any rate, I'm selling my Denon 2930 - I have the HD-A2 on the way and the PS3....I don't want/need three players. I'll probably just stick with my HD-A2 for SD DVD.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Were both HDMI inputs calibrated the same way with the same settings for

each player? When I compared my A1 to my XA2 i made sure all settings were

identical for each input. I did notice an improvement with the XA2(not night and

day) set at 1080p compared to the A1 at 1080i. SD was much cleaner and

sharper with the XA2.

I have a Sony KDL46XBR2 1080p LCD.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
With the new firmware update allegedly coming this week, it might be best to wait to do direct comparisons of the two machines, especially if it involves a lot of time calibrating.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I also have an HD-A1 and had a Reon based DVD-2930 and my observations are identical to DavidHir's. One thing I did notice is that you can increase the sharpness with the Reon and get good results -- at least with my HD CRT. The DVD-2930 was the only player I used where increasing sharpness (mid +3, high +1) was not necessarily counter productive. I was doing everything with analog component 480p. There is also the detail enhancement (name?) setting. I would be interesting to hear if that improves the situtation. I liked different thins about both the 2930 and the HD-A1. I was kinda hoping that the HD-XA2 would give me the best worlds. I have 2 more weeks to decide whether or not to return the HD-A1. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of direct comparisons between the HD-A1 and the HD-XA2 for SD DVD playback.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

OK, I have an XA1 which I have been enjoying besides the occasional skip, glitch or freeze. I bought an XA2 and recieved it this morning. Hooked it up to my 2nd HDMI input on my Sony XBR2 70" 1080p.

I threw in an SD DVD and thought it looked AMAZING! better than the XA1. I also noticed it booted up MUCH quicker and started the disc much quicker.

an hour later I realized this was an SD DVD I never tried in the XA1 (love song for Bobby Long) - I then put it in the XA1 and it looked...sharper with a tad more color! After a few more comparisons, I noticed the XA1 looked a tad better on this SD DVD from my couch. The XA2 DID smooth things out but was less detailed. I tweaked some settings and still, I could not get as sharp of an image from the XA2.

I then tried Kong and it looked 100% identical to my XA1 with this title in HD. Then I put in Fearless HD and the XA2 skipped, stuttered and froze up! Put it in my XA1 and it played perfectly.

At this point I am not happy. The much hyped XA2 (on this forum) has so far not impressed me with SD when compared to my XA1 and it skipped and stuttered and froze on one of my HD discs. I had to pull the power cord from the wall to power it off as no buttons were responding.

I then tried a few more SD discs. Star Wars Empire Strikes back looked GREAT on the XA2. Smooth and no real artifacts to distract me. The XA1 displayed it with some artifacts but was sharper.

Im a bit worried about the XA2 freezing up on me. I was under the impression Toshiba fixed these problems? The XA2 design is superior to the XA1 imo. Sleeker but still a nice, strong heavy build. Plus its a more attractive player.

Ill continue to try out some HD movies over the next few days and hopefully that freezing problem was isolated to my fearless disc.

So my conclusion from my 3 hours with the machine:

XA1 plays SD DVD sharper but a LITTLE more noise/artifacting. XA2 is smooth but less detailed. Color seems to be more vibrant (just a little) on the XA1. COlor on the XA2 is warmr, more yellowish (slightly). All of the hype on SD playback with the XA2 was a tad overblown here IMO. If you have an XA1 and want an XA2 for better SD playback, keep in mind it will be VERY VERY slight between the two players, and would depend if you prefer more detail (XA1) or a smoother picture (XA2).

HDDVD is just about EXACTLY the same as far as PQ goes between the two. Is the XA2 worth $400 more than the XA1? For that $400 you get

Much quicker boot up. Much quicker disc start. Smoother (bot not sharper) SD pq. Smaller player, its much slimmer than the XA1/A1. Remote is the same pretty much without the motion sensor, which is better.

If it was not for the freeze up and stutter on the XA2 I would be happy with my purchase. Very happy. The fact that it did this one a practically new disc which was viewed once bother me. If it continues I will have to return for exchange.

In any case, just wanted to report a quick comparison, from what I have seen on my display between the XA1 and XA2. The main difference is speed.

Also, both HDMI inputs on my display were set up exactly the same on my XBR2.

I guess I should have read your post earlier. I just sold my A-2 (to an office colleague at lunch today) and ordered an XA-2 from Value Electronics!!!

I have the A-2 and the XA-1 and while I prefer the usuability and ergonomics of the A-2 (so far zero glitches or synch issues) over the XA-1 (slow, no freeze ever, but a few audio synch issues) I did notice that I preferred the overall video and audio of the XA-1. I decided to get the XA-2 hoping that it would combine the advantages of the A-2 with the strengths of the XA-1. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed

Anyone else have glitches with the XA-2?

·
Registered
584 Posts
This makes me feel better about sitting tight with my xa1. Also, I hate to admit it but Gary is right - my PS3 plays Blu-ray discs like a normal DVD player - fast, flawless playback. I love HD-DVD and Toshiba but these bugs have got to go. Glitches like this are not acceptable in this day in age. It's unfortunate to hear the XA2 still has some of these issues.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

thanks for the review

you need to recalibrate for each player, I was hoping that the XA2 would get rid of all glitches and playback like a normal SD player or a BR player, in other words 100% perfect, call me anal but glitches don't agree with me at all

another question for you being you use HDMI, does the Toshiba have a 100% stable output of whatever resolution you are at? like a upconverting player or again the Samsung BR?

in other words you slap in a disc and it plays or you are looking at the splash screen, or in the setup menus even, does the player maintain a stable video output at all times?, the first Gen Toshibas are a total mess, even going as far as NO video output when you stop a disc

why do I care? it throw fits with my CRT projector, the Samsung BR is perfection in this regard, you set it to 1080i and that is what you get at all times no matter what

-Gary

"BR is perfect" WOW thats news to me. I was at a UE and the guy was telling me that they have had allot of problems with the 1,500$ Pioneer (freezing, lip sync, ect). I was also at RC willys and the guy said they had allot of lip sync issues with the sony. I don't think the BR camp is out of the woods yet Gary. I really don't care who wins. I really want a BR player that is up to my standars that I can afford. Until then I will have to wait.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

Anyone else have glitches with the XA-2?

I have some video/audio skipping issues on HD-DVDs as well as SD DVDs. It's weird that when i rewind to the scene where it skips, it plays fine. I've contacted Value Electronics about possibly exchanging it in case it's defective, but i have yet to hear from anyone yet
What i'm hoping for is that it is just a software issue that will be fixed in the forthcoming firmware release that is slated to come out this week, so i don't have to send the player back, but we'll see. Besides these issues, the player is great picture-wise .

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD /forum/post/0

This makes me feel better about sitting tight with my xa1. Also, I hate to admit it but Gary is right - my PS3 plays Blu-ray discs like a normal DVD player - fast, flawless playback. I love HD-DVD and Toshiba but these bugs have got to go. Glitches like this are not acceptable in this day in age. It's unfortunate to hear the XA2 still has some of these issues.

Ordered the XA-2 only because my A-2 has no glitches at all and I've been using it constantly for over a month now. So, if the XA-2 ends up being glitchy I'll be disappointed to say the least....

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torid110 /forum/post/0

I have some video/audio skipping issues on HD-DVDs as well as SD DVDs. It's weird that when i rewind to the scene where it skips, it plays fine. I've contacted Value Electronics about possibly exchanging it in case it's defective, but i have yet to hear from anyone yet
What i'm hoping for is that it is just a software issue that will be fixed in the forthcoming firmware release that is slated to come out this week, so i don't have to send the player back, but we'll see. Besides these issues, the player is great picture-wise .

I guess the $399 deal on the XA-1 is not bad if you're ok with the slow start up and loading. Honestly, I am hoping the XA-2 would be more than just a faster version of the XA-1. I too am looking forward to the firmware upgrade. I heard a while back that Tosh was initally waiting to release the XA-2 AFTER they had this firmware done, and that the player will be released to the general market after the new firmware....so I guess there's some hope.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why are all of these posts in such stark contrast to the other XA2 review thread? I really ordered this based on the rave reviews this player got for SD-DVD upconversion, where it was noted that it was on par with $5000 worth of high end image scaling equipment.

Shame really, I thought that a long several page thread containing rave reviews on this forum was a safe bet.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I wish my panny 50px60u had user savable presets so i could clibrate all my video components individually for every component....PS3, A2 and my Dish 622...............I will say that the A2 is a sweet machine....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

Why are all of these posts in such stark contrast to the other XA2 review thread? I really ordered this based on the rave reviews this player got for SD-DVD upconversion, where it was noted that it was on par with $5000 worth of high end image scaling equipment.

Shame really, I thought that a long several page thread containing rave reviews on this forum was a safe bet.

It is a safe bet. My XA2 works flawlessly much better than my A1.

SD upconversion is better than my A1.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr /forum/post/0

Clearly, the majority feel that the XA-2 is a formidable player. Even those that say it's over hyped say so because the XA-1 or A-1 they are comparing it to are also excellent players and at least based on my experience with the XA-1, in terms of PQ I am not sure what you can do to get an 'overwhelming' improvement in performance. It's pretty close to as good as it gets. So, I'd expect the XA-2 to be somewhat better in terms of PQ, but not a whole lot. JMHO

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Someone asked if I had both inputs set exactly the same. Yes I did. Also, I should not of titled this thread like I did as it may be misleading. When I said "Overhyped" - I meant that I have been reading on how great the SD playback is. The best there is some said. Its a minor difference over my XA1 so that just shows how great of a SD player the XA1 is. The XA2 is a GREAT quality player (minus th glitch I had with fearless) and the PQ is better than my $1000 Sony S1 with HD and SD.

if you get a glitch free XA2, it is the best HD DVD player out IMO. The XA1 is a very nice player but its load times are very slow compared to the XA2. It is like night and day.

So, the XA2 is not overhyped as an HD DVD player, I just fel it was for its SD DVD playback only becuase I obviously was already using an amazing SD player (XA1)

Steve

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.