AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a panasonic 42px600U. What do I need in terms of cables so I can order them and have them ready to go. I will have only a STB and VCR/DVD player hooked up for the time being. Also do I hook them up directly to the plasma individually or do I go from STB to VCR/DVD to the plasma?? I may or may not upgrade to a HD box and assume it will have component and maybe HDMI. (Comcast) I may also upgrade to a upconverting DVD player soon too, so dont know if that will make a difference?? I am new to the HD thing so take it easy on me and my lack of knowledge
I was looking around monoprice and bluejeans at the component cables and some have 5 plugs and some have 3. I assume the 5 are 2 extra for audio?? Am I gonna need that or is the 3 plug version gonna work? I will eventually get a nice receiver, the Yamaha 2700 is on my wish list but that will be a few months away at least. And I have read about break in and there seems to be a break in DVD that I can use for the first 100 Hrs? Where can I get this and is it necessary to use it? I also read that just watching Discovery HD nonstop will work also, This is of coarse with the settings turned way down as I have read. Any help and advise is welcome Thanks in advance

·
Registered
365 Posts
First, you will be highly disappointed and have wasted a lot of money if you do not upgrade to an HD cable box. If your DVD player/VCR has component output, it will probably look pretty good with DVDs, but you will want to phase out of VCR and tapes ASAP. If your player has only composite and S-video outputs, you will need to upgrade to a progressive scan player to get a good picture. Any Sony, Panasonic, or Pioneer player with an HDMI output will produce an excellent picture. As for cables, check with Comcast first. In most areas they will give you some type of free cable (either component or HDMI). If you have to buy your own HDMI cable, get it from monoprice.com. Its better than the typical CC or BB cable for about 1/3 the price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.