AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is the story I am mad at dell. I called because my order got "lost" and tried to reorder several weeks ago just after the price changed even though I order at athe lower price here is there responce.

> So what I would like to know is:

> 1. Do you have this projector and are still carrying it.

> 2. Can you make good on the price I was quoted.

> 3. If now when will it go on sale again.

> 4. What is your lowest price, I go to different areas of your site and get quoted difference prices for the same product. This is bad.

>

Thank you for contacting Dell.

I apologize for the inconvenience. In response to your situation,

The item was priced incorectly, there was no sale. The mistake

has been corrected.

1. The part # for the lt150 is 509658-4 it is currently out

of stock.

2. NO, that price was a mistake.

3. Wasn't on sale.

4. $2700.95

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I really think it was a mistake, but I am still puzzled as to why they waited almost a week to fix it. It sounds like Dell was happy to let the mistake ride a while to boost sale numbers. I am surprised at the way Dell responded, pretty snippy.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be called "Didn't get to shaft Dell on LT150"? While it would be nice to get a "deal" on this projector, it's not a legitimate deal if the price was in error, as Dell has explained.

I don't see a problem with Dell's correction of the price and their refusal to take multiple $1000 hits just to keep folks happy, even though the previous pricing error was their mistake. You would do the same thing if it were your company.

Instead of demanding that they grant you the erroneous price, why not try negotiating for a discount on the correct price to make up for the inconvenience ("I needed the projector right away, and this whole thing has been quite a hassle so far...") Or maybe suggest paying the corrected price but having them throw in an extra lamp. You might be surprised how far they will bend.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Well said Mark... We all know this was a pricing error and some took full advantage of Dell's error (including myself).

-Shawn

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbe:
Well said Mark... We all know this was a pricing error and some took full advantage of Dell's error (including myself).

-Shawn
Absolutely not. I am firm in my belief that this was not a pricing error. I've said this before and I'll say it again - this "mistake" was not a mistake but a way to pump up revenues before quarter's end. They did the same thing with their refurbished laptops. I know because I've been watching the prices for 2 months - the month before quarter end and the month after - I bought an Inspiron 8000 for $1039 - 300 to 400 dollars below what they are going for now - the exact same laptop with the exact same features.

If you extrapolate the discount on a 1400 dollar laptop up the $2600/1700 discount on the lt150 it comes out about the same.

Lastly, and I ask you to think about this for a minute - If Dell did this deliberately to pump up revenue, which I am certain that they did, do you expect them to admit it? No, they'll say it was a pricing error.

Billion-dollar companies make pricing errors all the time. And guess what - they CORRECT them within hours. They don't continue to honor them for a WEEK.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Regardless of the reasons behind the pricing in the Dell deal, one thing I think just about everyone who dealt with Dell found out was: the reps at Dell are consistent in their inconsistency.

If one person at Dell tells you that you can't have the price, talk to someone else. Chances are you'll get a different answer. Especially if you have a copy of a price quote, or some other evidence that you tried to order at the lower price.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It seems like no matter what the cause of the pricing change was, people should just deal with the fact that it is at its normal price again. We are talking about a front projector that people claim has a nice picture for well under a RPTV's price. $2700 is not a lot to ask for a machine that can produce an image of 80 - 100".

This forum has been swamped with posts about this projector for a long time. It is okay when the posts deal with the projector itself, but to hear about every single person that got the price, didn't get the price, etc, it gets a bit old.

Home theater doesn't seem to be a hobby where people are most concerned about getting "the deal of the century" but rather are concerned with getting the best picture they can, the best sound, etc. Maybe we should all try to get back to that?

I'm sure I will get flamed for this but I can't be the only one who thinks this way...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
JatWolf, not a flame, but an different view. Many of us here appreciate fine home theater as you do, but many of us here(probably most of us), do not have the funds for it, or we would not be here trying to find out how to get the best picture for the lowest price. Most people with alot of money who like home theater just pay the big bucks to a specialty store and get what they want with a minimum of hassle. We are here for a maximum of hassle with a minimum price. We are also more critical than those big spenders. Just my opinion. I hope that the DELL thing was a secret sale, I hope to get one if the price drops again in October. I'm not a cheapskate or lazy deadbeat. I am a very hardworking person with a new business that is not making alot of money YET, but I also have fine tastes.

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by watchformore:
Regardless of the reasons behind the pricing in the Dell deal, one thing I think just about everyone who dealt with Dell found out was: the reps at Dell are consistent in their inconsistency.

That is certainly true. I was quoted three different prices on an identically equipped Inspiron 8100. Ultimately, my cost wound up being a couple of hundred dollars less than the website price. So, the sales people at Dell seem to have some latitude--depending on which group you speak with. It seems their home products sales staff gets bid against by their business or government sales staff. An amazingly inept way to run a business, although I once worked for a company whose various divisions did things to each other that would have landed them in court had they been separate non-related entities.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There is nothing wrong with wanting a good deal and trying to get a good price but when it becomes an obsession and the subject of endless posts and whining it gets very old very fast. What is most troubling on one hand is the quest to get the best deal and on the other the endless carping of those who buy business projectors and then complain about their performance in their home theatre. For example, business projectors often come with dead or stuck on pixels, businesses don't complain because they don't care. Everyone who reads the posts here knows that business projectors often come with stuck on or dead pixels. So why buy a business projector when you know damn well that the unit was made for the corporate market, and then claim injury if it has a dead or stuck on pixel. Why are all the projectors people are buying getting lighter and smaller-not because the manufacturers are designing the projector for stationery home theatres. Yet the very intelligent folks who post here who are avid home theatre enthusiasts insist on buying a business projector for home theatre use.

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you have an order number, there might still be hope.

Call the sales desk, rather than e-mail and tell them your story and more importantly give them your order number. It's much easier to be snippy via e-mail than when confronted by voice.

If you ordered online also offer to send your e-mail confirmation via fax or e-mail.

--Les

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You must have printed out a copy of your order and have other paper work. Find out from a CSR who you should fax a copy to.

If all else fails, call and ask for Michael Dell. You won't get through, but you'll get to someone way above a CSR.

Just my thoughts.

Deane

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
Most people with alot of money who like home theater just pay the big bucks to a specialty store and get what they want with a minimum of hassle

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 08-30-2001).]

Of course it is reasonable to try to get the best bang for the buck as possible, but it is unreasonable to complain when a mistake or temporary "sale" ends. It is unfair to claim that just because someone doesn't buy the LT150 they are "rich and go to specialty stores to get equipment". I am not some millionaire who goes to "specialty stores" to buy equipment, but at the same time would hope that a forum designed to teach us about the finer points of home theater could get past a 4:3 business projector at least *some* of the time and talk about some of the new projectors that are coming out. Like I said before, posts about how to tweak the best picture out of the LT150 are great and help people get the best out of their equipment. Posts about how Dell "ripped me off" just don't seem to fit into this type of forum and have been seen way too often. I won't post any more about this and will accept all attacks, but I think a lot of people probably agree.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jason,

I'm having a little problem understanding how you could complain about having been "shafted" by Dell. Your post of 8/23 (inquiring "What was the Dell deal?") doesn't indicate that you had placed an order or was even aware of the special price. The "deal" was long over by then.

Seems to me that Dell made good on a mistake/quirk that they had no legal obligation to make good on -they did the right thing - Timing of your request and your 'lost order' claim APPEARS to be a transparent scam. NOT Dell's!

Please correct me if I've over-looked something here. Right-is-right.

Jim

------------------

Jim Gunther

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Jason-

Yes I am curious too how you were shafted considering this was your post:

posted 08-23-2001 10:22 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have been reading about the Dell deal on the nec 150. What was it? and is it over? Sorry I just started reading this secton so I have to catch up." posted by programmergeek

It seems to me that the only people who were shafted were those who took the time to make thoughtful replies to your post.

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
BUSTED!

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
102 Posts
No kudo's for me. The earlier post just happened to be there when I read the "shafted" post.

Leckian hit the nail on the head. People on this forum are really nice in the way they give of their time and knowledge.

It's one thing to try to scam Dell (Hey, I wished I could have taken advantage of the 150 deal)but don't try to put one over on the forum. Especially disingenuous because Dell had done the right thing -even if they didn't 'hafta.

------------------

Jim Gunther

·
Registered
558 Posts
And I actually thought programmer's had integrity! If there has been a genuine mistake concerning your 2 posts I apologize in advance Jason, but if not your credibility in this forum is tainted IMHO. As punishment you are hereby restricted to the CRT Forum!

Petey

PS. Just kidding about the CRT Forum, no flames please http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the confusion. Here is the story.

I tried to order the projector from dell, realizing it was a good price. They told me they were out of stock. I called back and was told they were not getting any more in.

I had never gone to this section of the board before and started to see posts about the dell deal so I inquired what it was. Then when I saw people saying they had them in stock. I called them and they said they did but the price was 2700, that caught me by surprise. I called dell again, but because the order was canceled they would not give me the price. Which is fair but it was canceled because the sales person said they were never getting that model in again because they were pushing the lt155 or something.

So I got mad and e-mailed dell. So in writing back to them I used the tem “lost†which I realize now is not the best use of the term. So I was pissed because I lost out on a deal that I knew was a deal because of an incompetent sales person and I thought the response back was not truthful and snippy. I like dell as a company and own many of there computers but can’t stand incompetent sales people. I hope this makes more sense now.

[This message has been edited by programmergeek (edited 09-05-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.