AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 pair of these speakers . My intention is to mount them in my garage ceiling so I have some music while working on my cars.

To drive them I got an AudioSource AMP-100 amplifier, and the source is a belkin bluetooth adapter so I can listen to Pandora off my phone. I hooked 2 speakers up (not mounted yet, just sitting on my counter) to the amp to try out the setup. I had to turn the amp all the way up to max to hear music at barely reasonable volume. It didn't sound good either, missing most of the low frequencies. If I just used my phone's line-out as the source instead of the bluetooth the same thing happened.

I figured the amp was just under powered (50W per channel, 80W RMS speakers), so I found a Denon 1802 off craigslist, which is an 80W per channel 5.1 receiver. I can get the speakers much louder with it, but I have to turn the denon way up too, like +8 dB. A normal setting like -20dB (what I use for my living room setup) seems too quiet.

Am I just going about this the wrong way, am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sensitivity: 89 +/- 2db (1.0M/2.83V)

that could easily mean they need a good amount of power to play "loud", especially if they are 87 DB like the spec sheet suggests is possible.

That being said, in ceiling speakers usually sound pretty damn bad out of the proper ceiling mounted location.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/20876082

Sensitivity: 89 +/- 2db (1.0M/2.83V)

that could easily mean they need a good amount of power to play "loud", especially if they are 87 DB like the spec sheet suggests is possible.

That being said, in ceiling speakers usually sound pretty damn bad out of the proper ceiling mounted location.

Hmm ok. I guess I will just have to mount and them and see what happens. Hopefully I don't have to go patching four 8" circular holes in my ceiling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20876304

You might want to give Monoprice a call to confirm the speakers aren't defective ... depending on the height of your garage, at average volume those speakers will only use a few watts of power.

I kind of doubt it, I got 4 of them and they all behave the same.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
My thoughts are that neither of your power sources are enough to drive those speakers. Don't know anything about that Audiosource gear. Do you have anything newer to connect and try? Possible that the 1802 is/was bad to begin with. Maybe try a friends AVR to determine if its the power to those speakers or the speakers themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.