AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after owning nothing but crappy 2.1 PC speakers for upwards of two years, and crappy 5.1 PC speakers before that, I decided that I wanted some home audio that would sound at least close to as good as my portable setup (Grado Labs SR-80s). I've always kind of liked the look/feel/sound of vintage audio stuff, and I don't really want/need surround, so I started lurking craigslist for some cool vintage components. Here's what I ended up with:

Reciever: Technics SA-5470

At 65wpc, it's more than I really need for my room, but hey, why not? Circa 1977, this thing would've been $400 when it was sold new!

Speakers: Technics SB-X100

I can't find hardly anything about these online, but they appear to be the biggest of a series of four mid-range speakers. There's also an SB-X20, X30 and X50. The number indicates the wattage, so these are 100 watt speakers. Again, more than I need, but it sure will be fun!

All this stuff is ridiculously minty for it's age, and the guy who sold me the reciever says the lamps were all recently replaced, which is cool. Oh yeah, I have a question someone here can probably answer: The back of the speakers says "Input: 100W, Music: 50W"...does this mean that they can handle up to 100W, but only put out 50W at max?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Speakers don't put out power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu /forum/post/16965833

Try:
http://www.vintagetechnics.info/

Also, AudioKarma.org is a great resource for all vintage audio.

I actually found that vintage technics site when I was googling, but the SB-X100 doesn't exist, according to them. The 5470 does; that's where I got most of my info on it.

I made an account on audiokarma, but it's pending moderator approval. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me something about these mystery speakers.

I got them hooked up this morning, and they sound aaaaawesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.