AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I don't even know what to say. I can't even imagine what 7 1899s must feel like.
With just the right amount of 128 Atmos objects flying at you I estimate about: 150db from 30 to 300hz (subwoofers would be extra),
and then "quieting down" above that because of power-handling into the mids and tweeters. But still well above EAR-DEATH-SPL. :D

I only have 7 DIYSG 15's all around me, and during 2018 new-years my niece and her girlfriends came over and we watched IT at the loudest volume we could all withstand (well over THX, I can tell you that much...)

A lot of crying and screaming was involved but now... they all float down here! :p

and that wasn't even coming close to straining any of those speakers, so I couldn't imagine what 7 1899's would be a capable of at FULL OUTPUT!
Your ears would actually die, *if* you wanted them to... No Joke!

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
What frequency do you cross those monsters at? Or do you play them full range for movies?
I'm not sure what he will say, but I doubt it will be: "I set them to small." :p

I run my 7 15's full-range and his are much beefier than mine, so I don't see any reason why not to set them to full-range.

If I recall correctly, THX and Atmos standards say: ALL speakers must be 40hz -6db capable as a minimum. (Ideally)
[That spec includes the heights too... BTW]

Note: For the Atmos codec, every bed or height or object is full-range capable . 1hz to 24khz.
(Whether or not the director decided to put ANY such content in the movie, flying around you, is a different story...)

Let's say the director has a full-range helicopter flying around you.
If you have bass-redirection enabled so that the lows from the helicopter go to the LFE, and 7 speakers set to "small" all around you...
it will sound entirely different than if you had say 7 1899's set to large, with dedicated LFE subwoofers with no bass-redirection enabled.
Try it.

You'll likely prefer them set to large, me thinks!

The helicopter-sounds coming out of the speakers that the director intended them to,
and the dedicated LFE-bass coming out of the LFE-subs like the director intended them to.
Unmolested by bass-management small-speaker compromises...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
What frequency do you cross those monsters at? Or do you play them full range for movies?
As BTH said, full range. No point in restricting the content to them when they are capable of handling it. I haven’t had much time with the surrounds, but I can tell you I have been missing out. Now the difference is obviously not as drastic as it is for LCR, but it is worth the upgrade. As I suspected, these little klipsch were falling way short of the prize, that’s for sure...

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I'm not sure what he will say, but I doubt it will be: "I set them to small." :p

I run my 7 15's full-range and his are much beefier than mine, so I don't see any reason why not to set them to full-range.

If I recall correctly, THX and Atmos standards say: ALL speakers must be 40hz -6db capable as a minimum. (Ideally)
[That spec includes the heights too... BTW]

Note: For the Atmos codec, every bed or height or object is full-range capable . 1hz to 24khz.
(Whether or not the director decided to put ANY such content in the movie, flying around you, is a different story...)

Let's say the director has a full-range helicopter flying around you.
If you have bass-redirection enabled so that the lows from the helicopter go to the LFE, and 7 speakers set to "small" all around you...
it will sound entirely different than if you had say 7 1899's set to large, with dedicated LFE subwoofers with no bass-redirection enabled.
Try it.

You'll likely prefer them set to large, me thinks!

The helicopter-sounds coming out of the speakers that the director intended them to,
and the dedicated LFE-bass coming out of the LFE-subs like the director intended them to.
Unmolested by bass-management small-speaker compromises...

That’s exactly what I was trying to get across when I mentioned the helicopter thing 👍

Funny you mentioned IT as that was one I watched, and I thought the same exact thing, everyone is going to float down here haha:D

Others I watched were The Foreigner and The Assassin. Nothing but grins the whole time. Threw in some call of duty to check that out. Everything back there is now the way it should be. Just because it is “surround” doesn’t mean it drops off at 1kHz....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Congratulations,You Sir own the internet!

99.99% of us have tapped out!

Those are amazing!

I have a couple of questions....

How are you powering the 1899's?

What subs do you use with those monsters?

Ps...
Have you thought of a PJ Screen....

Perhaps a 300-400":D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Congratulations,You Sir own the internet!

99.99% of us have tapped out!

Those are amazing!

I have a couple of questions....

How are you powering the 1899's?

What subs do you use with those monsters?

Ps...
Have you thought of a PJ Screen....

Perhaps a 300-400":D

I have a b&k 200.7 and a b&k 7270. They are basically the same amps, 200x7. There are 4 SI ds4’s behind the seats and 2 lmsr in the corner.

I do have a projector, Sony 55es, that I can’t use at my current location :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is easily the most insane awesome setup I've seen congrats sir.

I showed my dad your LCR pictures...hes trying to figure out if hes capable of assembling them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
this is easily the most insane awesome setup I've seen congrats sir.

I showed my dad your LCR pictures...hes trying to figure out if hes capable of assembling them.
Well, my dad helped with the LCR, however impatience got the best of me and I ended up doing these 4 myself. It kicked my ass but two people make them considerably easier to manage working with.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #131

That is one of the best and most ridiculous picture comparisons I've ever seen. You could title it "The bottom of the rabbit hole"[/QUOTE]

Lol Yeah surrounds quickly became the weak link.

Here is the front comparison...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I keep thinking back to Axpona last year hearing the JTR 215's in a pretty darn big room. The bass and midbass was nuts. Like take over your breathing nuts. I'm guessing the 14 18's in the 1899 in a likely smaller area is just bananas! BANANAS!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
(just found this thread)

that is freak'n CRAZY !!! :hats off: (AVS, suckiest smillies on the net)

Reactions: gixerking

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I keep thinking back to Axpona last year hearing the JTR 215's in a pretty darn big room. The bass and midbass was nuts. Like take over your breathing nuts. I'm guessing the 14 18's in the 1899 in a likely smaller area is just bananas! BANANAS!!! Congrats!
It is definitely bananas 🍌 😂

I would like to get a minidsp sometime soon so I can play with tuning. That will be nice

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The 2199's are actually fully assembled kits that ship on a flat bed truck direct from Amazon, next day, white glove delivery.

lol, and that is just one.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts