AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another one of these questions.. which videocard to I get? Please read on because this is not the typical question. I have a 47" 1920 x 1080 LCD that I use as a general computer monitor and for gaming. I want to be able to play games well and I want AutoCAD to speed up on the 3D rendering.

Note: I understand there are workstation cards that are meant for CAD, but I want to be able to do gaming as well, plus I dont want to pay $1500 for a card.

So my question is, can I get away with a 8800GTS or do I need a 8800GTX to have nice quality on such a large monitor?

Also, will I notice a substantial difference in AutoCAD2006 doing 3D rendering by getting a high end card?

Also just FYI I'm upgrading my 2.8ghz P4 to a Core 2 duo E6600.

Thanks for any information - this site has been EXCELLENT

·
Registered
814 Posts
Get the 8800GTX or the new ATI HD2900XT. You'll need a beefy card to run games smoothly in 1920 x 1080. I own a 37" 1920 x 1080 monitor and my ATI X1950XT 256MB seems to "sweat" in high detail games at full settings.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef2604 /forum/post/0

thanks for the info. What do you mean "sweat"? Overheat, or do you mean it starts to skip a bit?

It will skip a bit and get hot, but not unplayable.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Gaming and AutoCAD have different video requirements. Nvidia has two different lines to satisfy each. The gaming is 8x00 series and for the CAD its the quadro series.

But I must say dont get anything less than a 8800 GTX 764MB version.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i understand they have different requirements, just wanted to know what gaming card would work best for CAD so that I can do both. I'd be doing much more gaming than workstation stuff, so I'd want a gaming card that did decent in cad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
At 1080p your only real gaming option is the 8800GTX series.......it should do decently at CAD, but your options are truly limited, since the QUADRO series are terrible performers for games.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.