AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's one of those again. I'm look to get a TV and here's the requirments I am looking for:

-16:9

-HDTV

-Big Screen....60" or above.

-Must be RPTV as the room I have just won't work for a FPTV.

-Plasma isn't much of an option considering the size of the screen I am

looking for. But, finding one under the 10K range would be worth looking

into, so long as it's 60" or more.

-I've looked into the Sony Grand Wega, but I see a lot of good and bad on

it which makes me think twice. I'd like the best of the best within these

restrictions.

Thank you much. Hopefully, I can get something soon as I have been shopping around on and on for the past 5 months.

~Jay

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Price range please. We need a price range.

Mitsubishi makes good sets, but you need to defeat the Red Push to make them shine.

Pioneer's 64" ELITE RPTV is considered by many to be the absolute best ever made, even though it does not have 9 inch CRT's.

Toshiba's current models have a ghosting issue that is too nasty to ignore, IMHO.

Sony's current sets are great.

The Grand Wega = NO BURN IN! That's a huge plus. But black Levels are not all that hot. It would need to be ISF'd to look at its best (if I had the cash, I'd buy one).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Price range please. We need a price range.
Well, the Wega was 8 grand and that was pushing it just a little, but for something good I am willing to pay that and maybe just a bit more.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I spent neary 2 months trying to make the decision you are making now. My three finalists were Sony, Mitsubishi and Pioneer. I ended up with a 64-in Pioneer (Model No. SD-643HD5).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred M
I spent neary 2 months trying to make the decision you are making now. My three finalists were Sony, Mitsubishi and Pioneer. I ended up with a 64-in Pioneer (Model No. SD-643HD5).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hitachi's I was told makes a very large % of the guns on the market. I do not know the exact numbers but that helped sell me. Yes it is 1080i or 540P 61" and for the money you cannot beat it!! Check out the 61SWX12B. The difference between it and the 10B which is also a 61" is a anti-glare screen with a higher black level, thats what I got. Compared side by side with the Mitu, the Hitach has just as good if not a better picture in my eyes, the Sony did not compare (to soft a picture in my eyes) and for the money well there was no comparison, around 2 thousand less for the Hitachi! I got mine at PC Richards a electronic chain in my area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Jay: I went to every home theatre outlet in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (and there are several: Marvins, Tweeter, Home Theatre Store, Hillcrest Hi-Fi ...and several others...) I was particularly interested in outlets that carried MANY brands ...including Pioneer, Mitsubishi and Sony. I asked different salespeople "... regardless of price, which 65" display device has the best picture and causes the least problems." But what really sold me was talking to companies that do installation and service ONLY. You can find them by asking a home theater salesman who handles their installation. Pioneer won out. I also researched every model on the Internet using a search engine (Google) ...also studied the various forums (not just this one.) You can save quite a bit of money by going to a chain store (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.) but I decided against that since I wanted the unit installed, operating, warranted and with tech support on the entire system. My speakers are Triad in-room, in-wall and power subwoofer. I paid about one third each for the (1.) "electronics" (monitor, receiver, HDTV, power amplifier, DVD Player, electronic remote, etc.), (2.) speaker system and (3.) cabinet. I have both DirecTV and over-the-air capabilty.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
One more thing, Jay. Your will find this article on choosing an installer interesting. At the bottom of the article, click on "Go to the free CEDIA finder service". On the next page click on the "finder service". That will list installer/service companies in your area. You can call them for their recommendations and a quote. These companies are NOT cheap ...but it doesn't cost anything to get a quote and some ideas.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Pioneer Elites are considered by most to be the finest of the fine, or the Elite, if you will. A renowned ISF calibrator once said: There's Mitsubishi and Pioneer; then there's everything else. Whatever you decide on, be sure to get it calibrated after a couple of hundred hours. Also get the Avia disk; you will refer to it often. JR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred M
One more thing, Jay. Your will find this article on choosing an installer interesting. At the bottom of the article, click on "Go to the free CEDIA finder service". On the next page click on the "finder service". That will list installer/service companies in your area. You can call them for their recommendations and a quote. These companies are NOT cheap ...but it doesn't cost anything to get a quote and some ideas.
Fred: Gotta give you my thanks, man. I located an installer/service company in my area and they are willing to work with me on a Pioneer Elite, either the 65" or perhaps even a plasma. At the start I wasn't looking into plasma, but his recommendations sold me on it. They are going to work with me on a price plan and that sort of thing as well as keeping in touch to do service and other installations to come in the future as well. So once again, thanks Fred, and everyone else who helped me out in this decision. Gotta love these boards.

~Jay

Also, I'll keep you posted on how things go and get some pics up when it's finished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.