AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a real shame that Fox made this deal because this would be the one to really get more 3D TVs in the home for the average consumer on the fence about making the move.

Prior to I referenced Open Season as the benchmark for what home 3D brings to the table and I guess considering the few options available out there for wide release to the general public that still holds true.

However there is no question that out of all the 3D movies I have Avatar is by far the best one I have seen yet. It's everything I had hoped it would be and then some and much more enjoyable IMO at home then in the theater.

I know I am making "another Avatar thread" stating the obvious but still maybe just maybe there is someone from Fox who lurks this site and is paying attention. I was fortunate to happen upon this without having to pay for it by a stroke off luck. I realize that most will have to shell out hundreds to grab it and for some it will just be too out of reach to consider right now until the prices drop.

This movie should have been packaged with ALL 3DTVs by Cameron and company to showcase the technology that he pushed so hard to make mainstream.

Just shaking my head as to what the logic is with all these exclusives

·
Registered
Sony 65-A8H, Sony HT-ST500
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigric
Logic? I would venture to say it has little to do with logic and almost everything to do with $. Panasonic paid a truckload of $ to get the exclusive rights to this 3D release and TPTB have already said that they don't think 3D is strong enough to support an Avatar 3D release just yet: again, read $.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I for one will not shell out any more money then need be for this release.When it comes out for 40 bucks i will buy it..Not until then .I can wait.All of the stuff i have seen on my 3d sony tv.Is just fine by me.Even the stuff in the playstation store cheap 4.99 movies are very nice..Dont need to make the rich ,richer lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cameron doesn't care about the industry. He only cares about making $$$. He set a dangerous precedent by making the biggest movie of all time into an exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney makes the upcoming Tron Legacy into a Sony exclusive.

The thing that's going to prevent home 3D from turning into a success is corporate greed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerat4
I for one will not shell out any more money then need be for this release.When it comes out for 40 bucks i will buy it..Not until then .I can wait.All of the stuff i have seen on my 3d sony tv.Is just fine by me.Even the stuff in the playstation store cheap 4.99 movies are very nice..Dont need to make the rich ,richer lol
I'm with you. I mean I love Avatar and I'd LOVE to have it in 3D, but I can't justify spending 150+ on a movie. This weekend I was bidding on Coraline 3D/Ice Age, and I still refused to pay more than 30/movie even though they're exclusives. I'll wait till Coraline comes out first week of January, Ice Age was more of a bonus since it was packaged with it hehe. And while we've heard all over the place that Avatar 3D is a long exclusive, I've seen so many varying lengths of time for the release, so it must not be set in stone. In the meantime, I've got other Blu-Ray 3D movies I can watch and enjoy, ESPN 3D, they're adding additional 3D channels, 3D video games... I'm good hehe.

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
the 3D exclusives make sense if you really think about it...how many homes have 3D sets?...a very, very small minority...so why have a widespread release when it will only sell a small number of units?...wait until more people have the capability to see it in 3D otherwise it will make 3D adoption look even worse

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/19607569

the 3D exclusives make sense if you really think about it...how many homes have 3D sets?...a very, very small minority...so why have a widespread release when it will only sell a small number of units?...wait until more people have the capability to see it in 3D otherwise it will make 3D adoption look even worse

On the other hand, that small minority is really hungry for content and if Avatar (or any movie for that matter) is widely released, it will probably sell to a higher percentage of 3DTV owners than the standard BluRay would to standard hi-def TV owners. I have no interest in owning a 2D version of Avatar (didn't think it was all that great a movie actually) but if a 3D version were released (at a reasonable price of course) I'd probably get it if only for the 3D experience.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19607898

On the other hand, that small minority is really hungry for content and if Avatar (or any movie for that matter) is widely released, it will probably sell to a higher percentage of 3DTV owners than the standard BluRay would to standard hi-def TV owners. I have no interest in owning a 2D version of Avatar (didn't think it was all that great a movie actually) but if a 3D version were released (at a reasonable price of course) I'd probably get it if only for the 3D experience.

Yep there are two sides to this situation. I guess folks like Speilberg and Lucas and some studio big shots take the wait till they get there over "if you build it, they will come." I don't think Avatar was a good movie by any stretch of the mind either but I'd like to give it a look on my system also.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigric /forum/post/19607068

It's a real shame that Fox made this deal because this would be the one to really get more 3D TVs in the home for the average consumer on the fence about making the move.

Prior to I referenced Open Season as the benchmark for what home 3D brings to the table and I guess considering the few options available out there for wide release to the general public that still holds true.

However there is no question that out of all the 3D movies I have Avatar is by far the best one I have seen yet. It's everything I had hoped it would be and then some and much more enjoyable IMO at home then in the theater.

I know I am making "another Avatar thread" stating the obvious but still maybe just maybe there is someone from Fox who lurks this site and is paying attention. I was fortunate to happen upon this without having to pay for it by a stroke off luck. I realize that most will have to shell out hundreds to grab it and for some it will just be too out of reach to consider right now until the prices drop.

This movie should have been packaged with ALL 3DTVs by Cameron and company to showcase the technology that he pushed so hard to make mainstream.

It is the worst 3D movie ever made.

But since you find it amazing, would you please enlighten me.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19608283

Mathew Orman

I watched Bwana Devil in 3D at the Gables theater in Coral Gables Florida in the early 50s and in my opinion it is the worst 3D movie ever made.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19608367

I watched Bwana Devil in 3D at the Gables theater in Coral Gables Florida in the early 50s and in my opinion it is the worst 3D movie ever made.

And why do you think so?

Ware Bwana Devil actors made out of paper and change size

from Barbie to Statue of Liberty during just a second or two of action time?

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/0

Mathew Orman

Hmm, curious. Jaws 3D or Parasite 3D never got Oscar nods. Surely you don't honestly think they were better. I guess Avatar haters just gotta hate.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB /forum/post/19607499

Cameron doesn't care about the industry. He only cares about making $$$. He set a dangerous precedent by making the biggest movie of all time into an exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney makes the upcoming Tron Legacy into a Sony exclusive.

The thing that's going to prevent home 3D from turning into a success is corporate greed.

Cameron didn't make the decision, Fox did.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19608283

Mathew Orman

You're slipping Matt - I expected this comment to be much closer to one of the first replies.

I'm guessing you didn't go as Jake Sully for Halloween?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19608507

And why do you think so?

Ware Bwana Devil actors made out of paper and change size

from Barbie to Statue of Liberty during just a second or two of action time?

Mathew Orman

I don't think they were capable of that in 1953 but the acting was laughably bad, it was so dark and lacking in contrast it was hard to know what was going on.

It's difficult to do a review after 57 years.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I watched Avatar at the local digital cinema in 3D with my grandson and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I recently watched it on my Mitsubishi 82738 and I think it looks and sounds awesome.

Hard to explain why I like the movie. It has something to do with my relating to the Jake Skully character because of things that have happened to me in my life.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19608716

I don't think they were capable of that in 1953 but the acting was laughably bad, it was so dark and lacking in contrast it was hard to know what was going on.

It's difficult to do a review after 57 years.

That is nothing to do with 3D content quality.

The movie can be transferred into digital format and projected with sufficient brightness using current cinema equipment.

To correct AVATAR it would require more than it is worth.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19608756

That is nothing to do with 3D content quality.

The movie can be transferred into digital format and projected with sufficient brightness using current cinema equipment.

To correct AVATAR it would require more than it is worth.

Mathew Orman

I would love to see a restored version of Bwana Devil.

Somehow I don't think Cameron is going to 'correct' Avatar

to meet your standards unless you can explain to him how to make more profit by doing so.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't know what "correct" 3d is but I do know that I was impressed with avatar and quite satisfied with the results. I want it for my home viewing but I'm not going to pay some crazy price for it. And I wasn't going to make my tv choice because of it either. I hate the exclusive release stuff going on. I wish that they would do general releases but just offer the movies as free pack ins with certain tvs instead of making them exclusive.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy /forum/post/19607569

the 3D exclusives make sense if you really think about it...how many homes have 3D sets?...

More than there were homes with Blu-ray or HD DVD players in 2006.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts