AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...tube lovers

What are the best tubes you have owned? What kind of equipment did you use them with?

I have a pair of CBS/Hytron 5814WA that really sing in my

Preamp.

What are yours?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jolida CD-100a With Sylvania 5751 Triple Mica Black Plates, smooth with detail, awesome bass response as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A pair of RCA 6V6's from the 50's. Also some Mullard 12AT7's. Nice smooth, fat tone without the harshness found in most of the newer tubes manufactured these days.

These are in my '73 Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I know, not the kind of audio we're talking about here, but i couldn't resist!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well, I think it's just a matter of tastes, so IMHO there are no best tubes.

Anyway, I prefer the Phillips miniwatt 12AU7 or the JG-5814A to the JJ 12AU7s in my Odissey preamp.

I've read great things about the Mullards, but I haven't heard them yet.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
Tube equipment is something that I have thought about trying, but so far I have been put off by the expense. The most affordable I have seen so far is a 25-watt Jolida integrated, and even that is over $600.

(Question: can an amp provide the "tube sound" on its own, or is a CD player with a tubed output stage required for the full effect?)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tube roll. I have a Rogue 66 linestage. I have a collection of 12au7/ECC82 and collection of 12ax7/ECC83's, currently do not have any 802's or 803's.

Here's what I have:

RCA Blackplate 12au7, personal favorite

RCA Cleartops 12au7, currently using

Telefunken ECC82's ribbed plate

Amperex(USA) 12au7

Mullard ECC82 "Blackburn"

Mullard CV4004 Boxplate

I probably have about 30 or 40 12au7, dozen 12ax7's.

I have Rogue M-120 and I use stock Sino/Russian tubes. Can't afford Genalex or the Tung Sol 6550 from the 50's and 60's.

I like the RCA Blackplate for it's lush and creamy sound, The Clear tops for their soundstage accuracy. The Telefunken are even but I find fatiguing. Mullards are like British speakers, accent on mid-range warmth, I prefer the RCA. Amperex are great deal, I bought them for 16.00/matched triode.

No matter what, I always seem to prefer the RCA Blackplates, however my linestage is too noisy for them. I use clear tops mainly.

My source is Brent Jessee Recording for tubes and advice.

Pulliamm, I wouldn't use a tube player unless it was an Audio Note or MF. The Jolida color too much for critical listening. A good sounding integrated for little money is the TAD-60 by Tube Audio Design. Paul G finishes them in his home and probably as versatile tube amp ever, using 6550/KT88, EL34/6CA7,KT-66! Keep in mind that tube equipment has a lot of maintenance which my friends don't seem to notice. Mapleshade rebuilds Scotts and Heathkit and sells them. Tubes get you more involved and wife thinks they are my bastard children!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Colonel /forum/post/0

I tube roll. I have a Rogue 66 linestage. I have a collection of 12au7/ECC82 and collection of 12ax7/ECC83's, currently do not have any 802's or 803's.

Here's what I have:

RCA Blackplate 12au7, personal favorite

RCA Cleartops 12au7, currently using

Telefunken ECC82's ribbed plate

Amperex(USA) 12au7

Mullard ECC82 "Blackburn"

Mullard CV4004 Boxplate

Hi KY,

Nice collection indeed! I understand why so many people are very fond of tubes. Appart from their sonic signature, there are some other enjoyable related topics. The collection is the most noticeable of them.

Your comments are in agreement with what I've read so far in the forums, BTW. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulliamm /forum/post/0

Tube equipment is something that I have thought about trying, but so far I have been put off by the expense. The most affordable I have seen so far is a 25-watt Jolida integrated, and even that is over $600.

Yes, tube gear is not cheap at all. The more affordable tube amp I've auditioned so far is the Onix SP3 watts integrated amp (40 watts per channel).

It is beautiful and its sound is not excesively coloured. I like it a lot. More info here http://**********/index.php?page=shop...mart&Itemid=37

Now back to the topic.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
KY Colonel,

The Rogue company is about 15 minutes from my residence. I've always wanted to drop in there on a whim, but never did. I've just started to explore the area of tubes. I have a CJ tube pre amp being shipped in the next week. I don't think the CJ's are tube tweakers by nature, but if I ever decide to truly become involved with tubes, I'd probably think about the Rogue product line. They have excellent reviews.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Despite what some may say, tubes are as objective as solid state. That's why a Telefunken cost "X" and a Winged C cost "Y"!

Jorge check out Brent's website. He a great guy for advice on tubes. WARNING! Once you start reading the info on tubes on his website time will fly!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/12998722

can an amp provide the "tube sound" on its own

Sure, all it has to do is add some extra 2nd harmonic distortion. You don't even need tubes; Google the Bob Carver story about his Conrad-Johnson sound alike.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I used to own a Michaelson and Austin TVA-1 with KT-88's. Loved the amp, care and feeding was a pain. And yes, the amp contributed a definite sonic signature all of it's own.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mozvz

Mark O'Brien is really a great guy. I used to work at the Acoustic Planet and we sold his gear. I also have a ARC-VT130 and it's a mack truck compared to my Rogue 120's. I have a Theta transport, MF DAC, Rogue 66 linestage and ARC-VT130 amd M-120 amps made in USA and UK. A friend of mine had the Chronos integrated and it sounded great. You can't beat Rogue for the price!

·
Registered
667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz /forum/post/12999604

The Rogue company is about 15 minutes from my residence. I've always wanted to drop in there on a whim, but never did. if I ever decide to truly become involved with tubes, I'd probably think about the Rogue product line. They have excellent reviews.

Give Mark a call, he's a great guy and although I live down state I was glad I ventured up for the "cooks tour" of his place. Oh yeah, I've got a pair of his M-150 MonoBlocks in my current set-up and couldn't be happier !

KY Colonel - Regarding your comment to Pulliam on tube CDP, I can recomend without reservation Cary's 303/300, and not just because Sterophile loved it but because it DOES sound that good !

BTW, I too love the RCA 12ax7's, I do plan on 'rolling in' some Genalex Gold Lion KT-88's when funds permit.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 /forum/post/13004736

Give Mark a call, he's a great guy and although I live down state I was glad I ventured up for the "cooks tour" of his place. Oh yeah, I've got a pair of his M-150 MonoBlocks in my current set-up and couldn't be happier !

Twitch. I may indeed do what you suggest when time allows me to do so.

Charles

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a VTL deLUXE preamp that someone modded to use 6922s instead of 12ax7s.

I currently have a CBS/Hytron 12at7 in the driver slot and Amperex 6DJ8 A frame getter tubes in the other.

It also has a phono pre with JJ LM12ax7s in it, I dont have a turntable though so I haven't tried it.

The CBS/Hytron is definitely my favorite 12at7 so far. I have tried:

RCA grey plate

Sylvania grey plate

Sylvania black plate

Ratheon black plate

Mullard CV4024

RFT ECC81

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a pair Pearl cryovalve EH 12AX7'S in my HRAM modded stage 3+ JD100A CD player.I use a Quad of Russian military 6C33C-B power triodes and two Quads of EH gold pin red base 6SN7's in my V-cap modded Balanced Audio Technology VK60 power amplifier. i run several types of 6DJ8 tubes in my SAS Audiolabs 10A preamplifier including Amperex 7308 goldpins,Siemens ECC88's and Pearl cryovalve JJ 6922's. In my Sonic Frontiers SFS 80 power amplifier i run either SED 6550's or Ei type II KT90's as power tubes and Ei Elite goldpin A-frame 6922's for the driver tubes. In my Odyssey Candela i run several pairs of tubes including Mullard CV4003's, circa 1955 CBS/Hytron 5814a's and my favorite circa 1962 Amperex Holland ECC186/7316 PQ's.Tubes Rule! thanks....WCW III

·
Registered
64 Posts
A bit of drift, but...

Like Pulliamm, I've been thinking of tubes as well, but I don't want to jump in and by a tube-based pre, amp, or integrated right away.

I've been thinking of a tube-based DAC, like a Scott Nixon. The nice thing about this is you can get a direct, non-tube based signal to your pre via the analog outs of your source, and also a "tubey" signal via the SPDIF out (assuming you have room for one more input on your pre). This allows easy a/b testing (level match, I know) as well as allowing one to choose between the two signals, based on material.

What I don't know is how much effect a single tube could have. Probably enough for me, as I don't think of my current system as grainy or harsh, at least on most material. But on some...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts