AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my trusty Yamaha RX-V1000 with Emotiva XPA-5. Its on its way home. Now I have only $500 left in my budget for a processor. I see most good processors cost more than that. However, my requirement is less. All I need is a decorder for Blue Ray audio formats (TrueHD etc) and a optical audio input for my AppleTv. All video/hdmi can connect directly to my Sony projector.

Any decent processor/preamp out there which will fit my bill? (I would have kept my RX-V1000 except that it does not decode Blue Ray format)

One of my option is to get another Yamaha RX-V785 which has preouts for my XPA-5 and which does blue ray decoding. However, if possible I would like to stick with a true separate/preamp/processor.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
For now the receiver or a lucky used find may be the way to go. I was looking and I don't think you are going to fins something new for that money.

FYI I believe most Bluray players decode themselves. You just need something to pass the signal to the amp and switch HDMI. Unfortunately that is hard if not impossible to find.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

not unless you approximately triple your available budget... you probably can find something used for somewhat more than your budget...

for $500, if you want new, your only choice is an avr...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am fine for a used preamp. I love the concept of a preamp because that's exactly what's needed to go with my xpa-5. Budget wise I'm tight because I just shelled out good amount on XPA-5. Currently I have b&w 303's and LCR with a sony sub for my HT. I need to set aside some money for replacing the fronts to something from b&w 600' series or like.

Maybe someone can explain this to me:

Receivers are a combination of amp and preamp. A preamp/processor only decodes signals and channel it. Why do the preamps costs more than receivers with same functionalities? (I understand there are costly receivers out there with lots of bells and whistles. I am comparing the basic functionalities like BlueRay audio decoding and hdmi switching). Are they doing anything special than a decent receivers preamp section can do? Are there significant difference in the way a TrueHD signal is decoded from preamp to a decent receiver?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

market share... the market for dedicated pre-pros is quite small compared to the market for avr's...

no, no difference between anything when it comes to truehd decoding... you can think of the lossless codecs (truehd, dts-ma) as being the equivalent of a zip file... no matter what pc/mac/whatever you unzip that file on, you get the same thing...

do you want my honest opinion on what you should do?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
well, i figured i'd ask first...

actually, i'd also tell him to return the xpa too... it's completely unnecessary for him...

all of these "buy an amp" threads are causing people to do things that are a waste of their limited funds....

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19587446

well, i figured i'd ask first...

actually, i'd also tell him to return the xpa too... it's completely unnecessary for him...

all of these "buy an amp" threads are causing people to do things that are a waste of their limited funds....

Speaking of unnecessary, I found myself looking at an Emotiva XPA-3 this morning. I have absolutely no need for it in my 11.5'x14' room as my Onkyo 805 can get loud enough for me to run from my room covering my ears. That's driving low sensitivity 4-6 ohm speakers. I have unnecessarily wasted funds before, I must admit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am open for any suggestions. After all I believe this forum is for people to share and help each other. No bad feeling. Ready to consider any honest which is backed up by a good reason

I don't care for a separate amp. However, I got it reading all these discussions on this forumn saying separate amp will deiver better performance on speakers. May be you can explain me what I'm reading wrong.

Our family watch a lot of movies in our projector. I don't mind spending a reasonable money so that we can make our movie experience better.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage /forum/post/19587488

Speaking of unnecessary, I found myself looking at an Emotiva XPA-3 this morning. I have absolutely no need for it in my 11.5'x14' room as my Onkyo 805 can get loud enough for me to run from my room covering my ears. That's driving low sensitivity 4-6 ohm speakers. I have unnecessarily wasted funds before, I must admit

me too...
but if i "want" it, i don't consider it a waste...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19587526

I am open for any suggestions. After all I believe this forum is for people to share and help each other. No bad feeling. Ready to consider any honest which is backed up by a good reason

I don't care for a separate amp. However, I got it reading all these discussions on this forumn saying separate amp will deiver better performance on speakers. May be you can explain me what I'm reading wrong.

Our family watch a lot of movies in our projector. I don't mind spending a reasonable money so that we can make our movie experience better.

you need to read more of "all these discussions"... if you are only reading the posts that proclaim "better performance", well, you aren't getting the "real story"...

again, all these "buy an amp" threads are really leading people down the garden path...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19587091

I am fine for a used preamp. I love the concept of a preamp because that's exactly what's needed to go with my xpa-5. Budget wise I'm tight because I just shelled out good amount on XPA-5. Currently I have b&w 303's and LCR with a sony sub for my HT. I need to set aside some money for replacing the fronts to something from b&w 600' series or like.

Do you have a BD player w/ multichannel analog outputs? I have an Anthem AVM 2 pre/pro that I no longer need. I would be willing to make you a deal well under your budget. It has balanced XLR outputs for connection to your XPA-5, if you are so inclined.

AJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19587561

you need to read more of "all these discussions"... if you are only reading the posts that proclaim "better performance", well, you aren't getting the "real story"...

again, all these "buy an amp" threads are really leading people down the garden path...

There is plethora of information on this Forum. It may take me months to finish reading even if I use up all my free time for this. Lets come to the point... What is your suggestion...I am also waiting to hear if someone else has a different take on this?

I had my good reasons for getting XPA-5:

I had paid about $800 for my yamaha receiver. Now I have to replace it only because it cannot decode truehd and no hdmi. I was thinking if I go with an amp with a cheap processor ( just for decoding truehd) I can still keep the amp for long time and only need to replace the processor when newer technologies take over the market. Please tell me what's wrong with this approach. Even if I go with a older cheap reciever which has truehd and preouts, I can achieve this. All I wanted to know was if I can get a scaled down preamp in my budget.

I can return XPA-5 if someone can direct me towards a good alternative.

Thanks for all the resonses so far

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19587658

Do you have a BD player w/ multichannel analog outputs? I have an Anthem AVM 2 pre/pro that I no longer need. I would be willing to make you a deal well under your budget. It has balanced XLR outputs for connection to your XPA-5, if you are so inclined.

AJ

AJ, Please check your PM

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If you return the XPA-5 get an XPA-3 you save $200.

Then get a 700 receiver which you can use to drive the rear speakers. I saw a Denon 3310CI new for $700 recently.

I just did the same thing. Denon 4310CI (last years model) and XPA-3 amp for $1500.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19587681

What is your suggestion?

my suggestion is this...

use your existing receiver... with your speakers (and the 6xx's you want), there is absolutely zero benefit to truehd... if that's the only reason why you are doing this, it's not a good reason at all...

is that to the point enough?

second suggestion, and even more to the point...

do your research BEFORE you buy...

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19587091

Maybe someone can explain this to me:

Receivers are a combination of amp and preamp. A preamp/processor only decodes signals and channel it. Why do the preamps costs more than receivers with same functionalities? (I understand there are costly receivers out there with lots of bells and whistles. I am comparing the basic functionalities like BlueRay audio decoding and hdmi switching). Are they doing anything special than a decent receivers preamp section can do? Are there significant difference in the way a TrueHD signal is decoded from preamp to a decent receiver?

Does your BD player have analog multi-channel outputs? If so connect it to your RXV1000 and let the player decode for you. As lossless as it will get. Just will not display DD True-HD/DTS-Master HD. LPCM is the same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19588112

Does your BD player have analog multi-channel outputs? If so connect it to your RXV1000 and let the player decode for you. As lossless as it will get. Just will not display DD True-HD/DTS-Master HD. LPCM is the same thing.

That's the issue. I already have two blu-ray players. Both do not have analogue out. May be I can find a blue-ray player with analogue out under $150. Then connect this to my receiver 6 channel input. From receiver I can use preouts for xpa-5. Optical Connection from appletv will also be decoded by the reciever and send out through preouts to xpa-5. Did I get this right?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19588175

That's the issue. I already have two blu-ray players. Both do not have analogue out. Don't want to spend money on another blu-ray just for this option (considering the price for a used true hd receiver is not that much from the blu-ray player) Thx

You may be able to find a used pre-amp from Audiogon or Videogon. My suggestion though would be to get something like the Yamaha 1065 for a very good price(well below your $500) and connect your XPA5 and try it out. It may be all you need. Go to the sites I listed and have a look. Just make sure that what you are looking into is what you really want. I would get the AVR and be done with though. You can always uses the other 2 channels for surround duty if you should decide to go to 7.2 channels. Good luck and hope this will help in some way. Of course there is also the option of exchanging that XPA-5 for a UPA5 or even UPA7 and then you can up your budget for that pre-amp. Either of these amps will power a lot systems to ear blowing levels.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqsharp /forum/post/19588175

That's the issue. I already have two blu-ray players. Both do not have analogue out. May be I can find a blue-ray player with analogue out under $150. Then connect this to my receiver 6 channel input. From receiver I can use preouts for xpa-5. Optical Connection from appletv will also be decoded by the reciever and send out through preouts to xpa-5. Did I get this right?

Yes, that is correct. But, honestly, a $150 BD player will not likely have a great analog section. For simplicity, stick w/ S/PDIF coax or optical. Lossless audio is hardly worth the upgrade. Even in Dolby's top notch listening room, most could not distinguish any difference between high bit rate Dolby Digital and lossless audio.

"Then, we compared the higher bitrate (640 kbps) that is found on the Dolby Digital tracks on Blu-rays to the original. "Golden Ears" Morrison was able to hear the difference, but I, and most others in the room with us, did not. Each of us had our turn in the prime listening chair, and couldn't know the origin of the clips or their order of presentation."

http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM

AJ

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.