AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GoVideo D2730 last week. I was looking to replace my Audiotron only because I want decent navigation from a TV. The D2730 has plenty of potential but they blew it with one BIG missing feature - NO RANDOM play. There is no way to shuffle a play list or folder of music.

Besides that huge oversight the player is very stable and works well. Now that I can control my music from a TV I miss not being able to control my music from a PC!! I just cannot find a device that does it all.

The MPEG streaming works great. I watched several scenes from MPEG's that I extracted from some SVCD's.

I am looking for a good chat area for the D2730. I would like to compare issues and future software updates. Has anyone found a good group?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Check Yahoo Groups. Someone always starts a group there for every product as soon as it's announced.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Quiring
The D2730 has plenty of potential but they blew it with one BIG missing feature - NO RANDOM play. There is no way to shuffle a play list or folder of music.

Thanks for that info! I was just searching through the GoVideo manual... and the random play for Playlists was the one thing I couldn't find. The lack of that feature is incredibly disappointing, as the rest of the product looked very promising.

If the firmware is upgradeable, I hope they consider adding that feature very soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any more comments on this D2730? The price has dropped to $250 at most places. I wanted to know exactly how it works. There are many threads on this unit, but short and it looks like most return it to the store because it wont play vob files. Does the video output, when streaming, come from the component outs or just the composit?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could find a good community group forum specializing in th 2730. The Yahoo forum is dead. I have emailed GoVideo several times about firmware updates and was told they have no plans on adding random/shuffle play. Unless they create some momentum I would buy something else, there seems to be very little interest in this player.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that random play is a mandatory feature but you might try this workaround. If you use Music Match, you can got to AutoDJ to Quickly create a random mix of songs. You can then save these playlists for use with the D2370. This would allow you to tailor your random play to suit your needs(random mix for a particular mood). Not great but a close proximation. I just set up the unit last night. It is rock solid. I previously had the prismiq. This one seems like a keeper.

By the way, I bought mine new on ebay for $212. I recommend it highly (at least so far)

I have not tried streaming video yet. I will report back later.

You might also try this group on Yahoo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mediaclients/

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was glad to find this thread....there doesn't seem to be much interest in this product. I picked one up at fry's for just over $100 NIB. I had some problems with it recognizing wireless pcmcia cards (only accepts 16bit 802.11b), but decided cat5 hardwire would be best anyway. I think it works great. It has a very impressive build and finish quality. Much better than any of the panasonics and pioneers i have owned over the years. It weighs in at about 8lbs, and the brushed aluminum face is well above the standards in this price-range.

I noticed a day later that this is a "featured product" at UltimateElectronics. They are selling them for $200.

So far I'm quite impressed. The software for the server side is easy to use. I found that creating my own custom playback lists was a very acceptable work-around until random play is incorporated. I like the idea of the unit being firmware upgradeable. All it will take is for GoVideo to start making some money of of the gems, and the support will increase.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You got a steal for $100. With a good feature release at the end of Q1, I think it might have a long life. If they dont hit the major feature points people will move on.

·
Registered
597 Posts
B Smooth,

On your suggestion, I joined the Yahoo group, not much going on over there. If GoVideo drops the ball, perhaps enthusiasts will produce their own code. Either way, I still like it as a DVD player. The one disappointment was that mp3 burnt to cd-r did not support long filenames in preview mode, but the id tags worked. This is not a problem over the network though, and my days of burning to disk have likely came to an end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious, what happens when you try to stream an mpeg that has a bitrate over 3mbps? I noticed the specs state this limit, but what happens when one tries to stream video higher than this? Does it re-sample or does it just not play?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Coach,

I think it would be great if folks started to develop their own code, but the install base doesn't seem large enough for that to get traction. I have started looking at the Xbox modification scene and there is a voracious community of developers getting things done. Its not for most people but it you are looking for a platform where things are happening fast you might want to look into it. I have been dipping my toe into the pond for the last week or so. So far I am impressed.

Don't get me wrong I like the unit a lot. I would say its the closest to pefection on the consumer side. In terms of OOTB features its great. Playing my home movies with the unit has a certain WOW factor. There are just a handful of features that would make it complete.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cracker78
Just curious, what happens when you try to stream an mpeg that has a bitrate over 3mbps? I noticed the specs state this limit, but what happens when one tries to stream video higher than this? Does it re-sample or does it just not play?
I actually have never noticed. Why don't you tell me how you created the file and I will see if I can test it for you. My guess is that it would not even show up to play just like other movie formats that aren't supported.

I have a whole host of video files that I have downloaded. They all seem to play fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by B Smooth
I actually have never noticed. Why don't you tell me how you created the file and I will see if I can test it for you. My guess is that it would not even show up to play just like other movie formats that aren't supported.

I have a whole host of video files that I have downloaded. They all seem to play fine.
Hrmm... I figure that it just won't show up. But I am curious because I have my dvd collection on my harddrive and I am looking for a simple streaming endpoint.

So an example of how to create a file would be to copy a .vob from a dvd that you own (using dvddecrypter or dvdshrink) and rename it to .mpg.

Dvd mpegs are generally 4.5mbps (or so i am lead to believe).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have used many products to convert my vob's to mpg and not had any problem. I have never tried to just rename vob files. Do a google search on DVD to mpeg conversion. You will find plenty of tools to do this.

I am hopping that the next version of the software would allow for direct streaming of VOB files or Divx. XBMP already has this capability.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cracker78,

I'm not sure that I have any. My movie media is all divx, so of course it doesn't show up. My home movies must be 3mbps, as they play fine. Although I like a good movie, I listen to quite a bit of music. I wanted it for mp3 playback alone. Everything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
597 Posts
A quick call to the GoVideo confirmed that the newest update should enable mpeg4/divx. the rep was not sure which codec versions would be supported. he was not sure about random playback. he said there should be an option to modify the "skins" for screens and menus. the update should be released the first week of march. i guess we'll wait and see. also, the rep didn't know if it would be available for download, or shipped.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will be laughable if they don't include random play. It can't be very difficult to develop and EVERY user wants this function. If they don't put it in. It really means they aren't paying attention to users.

·
Registered
597 Posts
updated firmware and software are out!

follow this link: http://www.govideo.com/?GV=D2730 and upgrade your firmware and software to version 2.

i have not upgraded yet, due to a network problem....no network going to the d2730 right now. i have downloaded both files. i did not see any mention of random play, but it might be on the server end.

it will probably be a couple of weeks before i get my system re-networked....wireless didn't work for me, and it's a two-story wall-fish on an exterior wall (fun for me :) ). i would bring it back upstairs, but I have grown to like its DVD playback, and prefer it over my panasonic s55s.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i came back to post the same BS. i got the update loaded to the d2730 just fine. i checked all of my original documentation, including the cd sleeve that shipped with the original disk, and there is no cd-key. an email to govideo resulted in my receiving several of the same useless, automatic replies. i'm closing in on the return date for this player. so far, things are not looking good.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.