AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
That Slate article was insane. Gears of War wasn't some bizarre dark horse contender, it was a AAA title from a major developer.

Wii Sports would be the real dark horse of the three they listed... if it had actually been listed as GotY by "the gaming press" as he said, instead of just Time magazine. (Out of curiosity, I did a scan through as many GotY lists as I could find on the internet, and it was pretty much Gears, Oblivion, and Zelda dominating, in about that order.)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows /forum/post/0

That Slate article was insane. Gears of War wasn't some bizarre dark horse contender, it was a AAA title from a major developer.

Wii Sports would be the real dark horse of the three they listed... if it had actually been listed as GotY by "the gaming press" as he said, instead of just Time magazine. (Out of curiosity, I did a scan through as many GotY lists as I could find on the internet, and it was pretty much Gears, Oblivion, and Zelda dominating, in about that order.)

I saw Resistance too. GoW was fun, but short and repetitive. People need to get beyond graphics for awards like a GOTY. From what I read Zelda was a much more satisfying game. I think they just pick the most popular, not the best game. Sort of like picking Titanic for best movie Oscar.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If Gears was short and repetitive, Zelda is simply long and repetitive. After spending hours trying to trudge through Zelda, that game better fits the example of picking what's popular rather than what's better.

I typically don't voice my opinion about Zelda because I usually get flamed, but the game is nothing special at all.

5 minutes into GoW you're shooting stuff and fighting for your life... two hours into Zelda and you might have killed an enemy- that is if it doesn't take you an hour to catch a fish with the tacked-on Wiimote controls. But I digress. It's an apple to oranges comparison, really, and I think it's fair to factor in the technical merits and shortcomings when considering GoTY honors.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0

I saw Resistance too. GoW was fun, but short and repetitive. People need to get beyond graphics for awards like a GOTY. From what I read Zelda was a much more satisfying game. I think they just pick the most popular, not the best game. Sort of like picking Titanic for best movie Oscar.

Gears gets underrated because it's so pretty. It has incredible pacing, a novel control scheme that removes the baroque elaborations that have grown up around FPSes, and is just in general an instantly accessible and compellingly playable game. I compare it to Baldur's Gate, which similarly removed decades of obfuscation and opened up a niche genre to a broad audience (while irritating the hardcore players in that genre).

Zelda, while it's an excellent game, is essentially the same exact game I've already played twice. I bought a Wii to play it again because hey, I'm up for that, but I don't think it's better than Gears in any objective sense.

(As for Resistance, I saw it on a lot of "Best of PS3" lists, for obvious reasons, but didn't see it anywhere as "Game of the Year". Okami did get listed once, though, if you're looking for titles outside of Oblivion/Gears/Zelda.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
While I did purchase the game because of the hype (STUPID ME) and have played the game more in MP mode than SP, I think overall, the game is monotonous and gets played out really quick. I didn't try to finish the SP part of the game. After several times playing in MP, there was a pattern to the game so....

There isn't much thinking to the game, cover, shoot, run, cover, switch weapons, and repeat.

Perhaps the repetitive fast action in a SHORT span kills it for me. Table Tennis did the same thing for me.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/0

1) Gears sold over 2 million copies.

2) Last time I checked Gears was 80% of XBOX live play.

3) Alot of people bought the 360 just for Gears.

Sometimes the most popular is the best.

Gears=Titanic.

Zelda=Brokeback Mountain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gears is as good if not better than Halo 1 and 2. Gears in my mind sets the standard for games there is nothing that looks better. I have seen Resistance and Zelda and played both and Gears takes it all. The game is impressive.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JData /forum/post/0

While I did purchase the game because of the hype (STUPID ME) and have played the game more in MP mode than SP, I think overall, the game is monotonous and gets played out really quick. I didn't try to finish the SP part of the game. After several times playing in MP, there was a pattern to the game so....

There isn't much thinking to the game, cover, shoot, run, cover, switch weapons, and repeat.

Perhaps the repetitive fast action in a SHORT span kills it for me. Table Tennis did the same thing for me.

I've played gears through on SP and have played MP constantly since around it's release. I obviously have an opposite reaction than you have. Team Communication and Coordination are pretty important in this game, and that's why MP never gets boring to me. It's always different.

To me, it would be like saying chess was monotonous and played out quickly because there was a pattern to the game. But to each there own.

Maybe I'm lucky because I have a few groups of friends that I play consistently with, rather than a lot of random pickup games.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian /forum/post/0

1) Gears sold over 2 million copies.

2) Last time I checked Gears was 80% of XBOX live play.

3) Alot of people bought the 360 just for Gears.

Sometimes the most popular is the best.

Gears=Titanic.

Zelda=Brokeback Mountain.

I bought a 360 just to play GoW. When Halo2 first came out, I bought my first Xbox .
What can I say? I'm a sucker.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazeshift78 /forum/post/0

I bought a 360 just to play GoW. When Halo2 first came out, I bought my first Xbox .
What can I say? I'm a sucker.

Me too. I have been playing COD2 on my buddies 360 for a year. When I played Gears on his I had to have it.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevans /forum/post/0

Gears is as good if not better than Halo 1 and 2. Gears in my mind sets the standard for games there is nothing that looks better. I have seen Resistance and Zelda and played both and Gears takes it all. The game is impressive.

Just imagine if they would announce GOW2 when Halo 3 comes out........

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Just imagine if they would announce GOW2 when Halo 3 comes out........

I believe the chances of Bill letting that happen is somewhere between slim and none, and slim skipped town.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker /forum/post/0

I believe the chances of Bill letting that happen is somewhere between slim and none, and slim skipped town.

True, but here's to wishful thinking!

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan /forum/post/0

I've played gears through on SP and have played MP constantly since around it's release. I obviously have an opposite reaction than you have. Team Communication and Coordination are pretty important in this game, and that's why MP never gets boring to me. It's always different.

To me, it would be like saying chess was monotonous and played out quickly because there was a pattern to the game. But to each there own.

Maybe I'm lucky because I have a few groups of friends that I play consistently with, rather than a lot of random pickup games.

MP the game play lasts a bit longer than SP but it way too repetitive due to the smaller maps. You can get the same type of game play in a more tactical shooter like GRAW/R6/BF2 and even COD3 - permitting you play with the right crowd.

Doing CO-OP is nice change but it is the SOS.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on GOW.

I'll probably pass on the sequel. I think it was made more for younger ppl than I. 37 here. I just think the game has no substance. Perhaps because I am came from PC simulation world first and then the console world even though I have dabbled with consoles since the early80s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.