Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

First for some background: I've had an NEC GP-3000 for about 10 years. It's been hooked up to an IDC-2000, and projected onto a 70 inch screen. About 3 years ago, the Soundstream (soundscream!) distribution system crapped out on me, and the projector has sat unused since.

We decided to get the system running again, and got rid of the soundscream stuff and added a B&K ref 50 - keeping the idc-2000.

I've done some searching here in the forum, and have found out about some sort of known problem with the power supply. At some time in the past, I remember having a problem with the power, and had it serviced and fixed. I thought it was a simple short, but perhaps it was this other problem?

I've also read about some sort of fan mod to quiet it down, since it is rather loud. How easy is it to do, and where do I find what needs to be done?

NO, here's my big question - sometimes the picture seems very yellow. I did a full convergence on it, and the lines are all a bright white now, so I don't know what the problem may be.

And finally (phew!) can this projector handle an HD signal? I've had some people tell me yes, and some tell me no... I'm so confused!

Thanks.

JAW.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
To answer 2 of your questions:

The power supply will fail, and the chip that fails is not available. To prevent this, there is a list of capacitors that should be replaced. Do a search on this.

Yes, it will do HD.

Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Since I had a power issue a few years back and had it serviced, I think I'm just going to hold my breath and hope that it was the problem that is talked about here. Especially since I wouldn't know a capacitor if it came up and said, "hello".

As for the HD signal, is there anything special I need to get the projector to properly synch it? (I don't even know if that makes any sense!) Thanks again....

signed,

A real techno novice.

JAW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Since I had a power issue a few years back and had it services, I think I'm just going to hold my breath and hope that it was the problem that is talked about here. Especially since I wouldn't know a capacitor if it came up and said, "hello".

As for the HD signal, is there anything special I need to get the projector to properly synch it? (I don't even know if that makes any sense!) Thanks again....

signed,

A real techno novice.

JAW.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
If your HD receiver has RGBHV output, such as an RCA DTC100, it works fine. If your receiver has only component video out, ( a red, green, and blue colored rca jack ) then you need a transcoder to convert it to RGBHV.

Marc

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
BTW, was the Soundstream a multi room keypad system? I have a high end customer that has one that just went intermittent, and before I rip everything out, I'd love to have a second unit to try and repair his.

(Monster home with concealed wiring will make installing anything else nearly impossible...

Pls let me know!

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curt,

That's exactly what it was. I've got a C1, SN1, T1, 2 RA100's, and 3 keypads. Now, they all seem to power up, but I'm not sure what works, and what doesn't. I've also got a Lexicon CP3. I was thinking of putting it all up on Ebay, but if you're interested, let me know.

JAW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tinman -

I just talked to my installers, and they tell me I can't project HD because of my IDC-2000. Now, they've already sold me a Progressive Scan DVD player - I'm not sure why, if they tell me I can't handle it. I'm so confused!

I already bought an Audio Authority 09A62 transcoder, and they used it between the HD cable box and the IDC-2000. They say that the IDC-2000 just cant process the HD signal. They say that I would need to buy a Farouja scaler to replace the IDC, but that I would be throwing good money after bad (they really don't like the projector). Mostly I think they just want me to spend more $$$.

JAW.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The IDC-2000 does not have a pass through? The idc-3000 does have a pass through, though it is not as good a doubler as the 2000. I use an ISS-6010 NEC switcher for all of that. No problems at all.

Yeah... I think they want you to spend more money.

Also... why would they sell you a progressive scan DVD player if you have a line doubler??? Thats all a progressive player does... built in line doubler. You cannot plug one line doubler into another. Do these guys know what they are doing, besides charging you a bunch of money?

Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tinman -

I guess I just have more money than brains... The DVD wasn't really that expensive, so it's no big deal. But I would like to be able to get the HD signal. Like I said, not much brains, so please explain what you mean by "a pass through"? I'm also not sure what the ISS-6010 switcher is for. I have a B&K Reference 50... is this the same type of thing?

JAW.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Some line doublers have a plug that allows a straight through path for another RGBHV signal without processing. My IDC-3000 has this. It doubles regular sources, and allows my HD receiver to be switched directly to the projector with the push of a button. The ISS-6010 is NEC's own video/RGBHV switcher. Depending on how many cards are in it, it can switch up to 10 inputs to your projector. Maybe someone else here has an IDC-2000? Can tell you if it has a pass-through.

Marc

·
Registered
232 Posts
Regarding the replacement of those capacitors in the GP-3000/GP-5000 Power Supply. The following caps should be replaced in the 3000 power supply: C46, C42, C20, C19, C18, C13.

They are located around IC02 (PJX-01). That IC will run hotter if C13 becomes leaky, if that happens the standby power supply voltage for IC02 would become unstable and oscillation is possible

See these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=146559

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&threadid=4949

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards

Mark Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.