AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is printed GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE and GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE in the AE300 package.

I emailed to the contact email address [email protected] in the paper to get the software of AE300.

But the email was returned with the message that the user is unknown.

Is there anyone who knows where to get the GPL'd or LGPL'd software of AE300?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Write a letter to the mailing address of the company, or to any other address that you can find. Be sure to keep a copy for your records, and send it via certified mail. If/When they don't respond, contact the FSF and have their lawyers write a letter. That should get their attention.

The FSF can be contacted via their website, http://www.gnu.org/ . Of course, I think that it would be a little unfair to avail yourself of their services if you are unwilling to make a contribution, so do the right thing and chip in $50 if you want them to help.

--tkr

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
The device is probably just running Lineo, which is an embedded Linux distro. The M20X is similar in nature. The best you'll probably get out of them is the source to Lineo and not the application running on top of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Panasonic replied.

They request my region/country information to make me contact my local Panasonic representative.

So I replied that it's not relevant with my location and they should make the software available to the public as the GPL.

And I received the 2nd reply.

They say that the email address "[email protected]" is active now

and they are preparing to open linux on website shortly.

Thanks tkr, thegeek.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It passed a month and a half after the Panasonic replied.

So I sent an email to Panasonic for the software under the GPL or LGPL again.

They replied.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your E-mail.

Home Page creation which I am tackling is not progressing

so that it may still consider.

Therefore, since I want to distribute GPL by CD-ROM,

Please let me know the address where I should send the CD-ROM.

Moreover, Linux which we use is DSPLinux.

Please access to the http://cadenux.com

if you need the DSPLinux related information.

Projector Business Unit

System Business Group

Panasonic AVC Networks Company

Matsushita Electric Industrial co., Ltd.

Best Regards
I think that this might not help. But I'll contact them to get the software.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Received my CD today. Based on a quick look through the contents, it doesn't look like there is anything specific to the AE300 on there. I see copies of the Linux distribution, PicoGui and GNU Kermit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there a way to upload a new firmware based on the CD-ROM you received? (adding menu options etc... ? :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I received my CD today. Yes there are 3 tar.gz files as bzo said.

dsplinux.tar.gz 484,437KB

gku100.tar.gz 127KB - GNU Kermit

pgui.tar.gz 4,333KB - PicoGUI

dsplinux is available from http://cadenux.com.

GNU kermit is available from http://www.gnu.org/directory/network...G-Kermit.html.

PicoGUI is available from http://www.picogui.com

Quote:
Is there a way to upload a new firmware based on the CD-ROM you received? (adding menu options etc... ? :cool:
|R| you can download and upload the firmware with GNU Kermit. But there is no source to modify the firmware as you want like adding menu options. Above 3 files are fundamental parts for the firmware. We need all the source code to modify the firmware. Or we can disassemble the firmware after downloading it from AE300. Downloading the firmware, I think, is legal but I don't know whether disassembling is legal or not. I mailed to Panasonic at first to want to know that it is possible to modify the firmware as you want. But I think this is very difficult for me now. I want to see the tweaked firmware for AE300.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds interesting... How would you go about downloading the firmware though? I dont see any serial ports or others on my device...

any idea? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There may be the serial port inside. I don't know where it is. But we can find it easily in the Service Manual sold at $50 from Panasonic.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The following manual may be of some help. It describes the protocols for getting and setting controls on a Panasonic projector. It only has the codes for getting and setting menu items. However, if the protocol is the same for the service code, then you might be able to getthe service codes from the source code for the service program or the disassembled program.

RS232 Protocols form
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni.../PBTS/manuals/

get file 07/09/2001 07:52AM 311,085 OM_PT-L701.501 RS-232 Protocol.pdf

it contains only for commands that can be done from the menu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.