AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have the ATI 5850 GPU and I play games at 1920x1200 on a 26 inch screen

What if I want to get a 27 inch screen (IPS panel) with the resolution 2560x1440?

How much will the frame rates suffer?

Would I need a new GPU (that would basically mean a new PC)?

Jakob

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 /forum/post/20845952

Hi

I have the ATI 5850 GPU and I play games at 1920x1200 on a 26 inch screen

What if I want to get a 27 inch screen (IPS panel) with the resolution 2560x1440?

How much will the frame rates suffer?

Would I need a new GPU (that would basically mean a new PC)?

Jakob

Depends on the specs of the card and the driver optimizations, your system resources, and the game engine. Turning on the effects will definitely slow you down at higher resolutions but if you have a beefy card as it is that does great at your current resolution, you should be alright at the higher one with some tweaks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The 5850 is still a great card. But expect to have to balance some quality settings versus frame rate at 2560x1440. Do you happen to have a 2GB version of the card? This is a scenario where the extra ram could make a noticeable difference. Also, it might be a good time to experiment with overclocking. A tool like Afterburner makes it easy to squeeze extra performance out of an older card.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is entirely dependent on what games you are playing. Also, upgrading the graphics card is very easy, and would certainly not require you to buy a new PC. However, if you're running with a Core 2 Duo, it might be time to upgrade.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used my gtx260 for my 2560x1600 Dell 30" all the way up until i punched it and broke it about 5 months ago. Even played Metro 2033 and Bad Company 2 with it.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 /forum/post/20858349

I used my gtx260 for my 2560x1600 Dell 30" all the way up until i punched it and broke it about 5 months ago. Even played Metro 2033 and Bad Company 2 with it.

You punched and broke your monitor? A session in anger management might have been cheaper than a replacement monitor.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20858908

Hey! The monitor didn't do anything to you. You should have punched your cpu or maybe your modem.

The rule is to accidentally break things that you need to replace. "oops, wii-mote flew out of my hand and hit our 40 inch 4 year old lcd...but it's ok i found a great deal for a 55 inch local dimming led lcd. It's in the mail as we speak!"

"Sorry dear, I think I just spilled coffee on our (outdated, loud, slow) computer from college, I guess we need to buy a new one now for work(games)."

·
Registered
747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20858908

Hey! The monitor didn't do anything to you. You should have punched your cpu or maybe your modem.

The modem and cpu didn't just sit there and stare at me with that "judgemental eye" like the damn monitor did. There were other things too. It had it coming...

Actually..... i was a little tipsy and ran into one of those undercover animal abuse videos, Conklin Dairy Farm video or something like that. The guy just beat the crap out of these baby calves for fun and stabbed them i think as hard as he could with a pitchfork, in the face, over and over.... and some of these factory farm companies are actually such a-holes they are trying to make it illegal to film this stuff...

I actually just *pushed* the monitor back a too hard, not quite a punch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.