AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of building an HTPC, the goal is to view SD, 1080p (upscaled) and 4k on my 4k TV (LG OLED65B6V). I did not buy yet the MoBo, CPU & GPU, because I don't know what would actually be better - hence, the questions below:
1: is the SD and 1080p upscaling done through MadVR much better than what I can achieve if I use the upscaling of the receiver (Denon AVC-X3700H )?
2: if indeed the upscaling done from HTPC is better, which hardware would I need to do that (I am really aiming for a fanless config of the HTPC - I have a Streacom FC10 case and I wanted to add either an AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G or an intel CPU with a GT1030 fanless GPU. Is this totally not enough?)

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes it is much better. But there are obviously diminishing returns if you turn the settings/filters up too high you start getting waxy skin and losing too much detail. So it's not just an infinite boon in all scenarios.

The real problem with the HTPC right now is the cost of GPUs, if you have decent ones lying around then you're good to go. But because of crypto and the virus prices are sky high. So it's not really cost effective to purchase right now unless you can get a card for MSRP

The 1030 isn't exactly worth building a new HTPC around. If you had all these parts laying around then yea give it a try and compare to a streaming device. But it's going to be a lot more subtle without a bigger power gap. These little streamers don't have much compute power but they are generally pound for pound better than the HTPC. Any CPU will do your GPU will be the problem

1 - 2 of 2 Posts