AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These remotes are on clearance at radioshack for $15.

This remote has special appeal to those who want to control devices without being in line of sight

This 8-in-1 RF/IR remote comes with RF receiver. The RF reciever has an IR eye (IR blaster) embeded in it . The RF/IR remote controls devices directly via IR. It also controls an IR blaster via RF. Therefore you can control whatever the IR blaster is pointing at from the remote even if the remote is not in line of site.

The remote has an lcd display. the display and all keys are backlit.

It learns from other remotes and lets you move buttons.

It allows you to program macros in a straightfordward fashion.

All of the above can be done without JP1.

It has JP1 too (of course)

Check out this thread. Pay close attention to sbhub's posts regarding this remote. Also look for my posts on how to find inventories at Radioshacks.

sbhub has one of these remotes. I have 4 of them as an hour ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37#post4157537

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sbhub,

do we know how many memory slots these things have for learned keys, moved keys, and macros? do they all share the same memory space or each have their own limits? I don't see it in the manual

·
Registered
790 Posts
OOS at all Shacks in my area.

:(

(Like I need another remote around the house.)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Extenders allow you use the available memory (sort of) from other categories.... I doubt you'd be able to use it all up.

I saw this on FatWallet too... but it's actually old news. Cleaned out the Norwalk, CT and Maiden Lane (NYC) stores of these months ago!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
I saw this on FatWallet too... but it's actually old news. Cleaned out the Norwalk, CT and Maiden Lane (NYC) stores of these months ago!
The $15 is relatively new news. They started with $27.99, then $24.99,

now just recently (like within the last 7 days) $15. I actually bought one

last Wed for $24.99 and got a price match on Tue for $15 when I found

out the new pricing.

Original pricing on the remote (prior to clearance sales) used to be around

$59.99 IIRC.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
sbhub,

do we know how many memory slots these things have for learned keys, moved keys, and macros? do they all share the same memory space or each have their own limits? I don't see it in the manual
BTW it's sfhub not sbhub. I don't work for SoniceBlue :)

The default remote has

204 keymove/macro memory

761 upgrade memory

1021 learning memory

The extended remote has

848 keymove/macro memory

761 upgrade/device/protocol memory

0 learning memory

basic keymoves take 5 units of memory each (but can take more when

you use the extender)

macros use memory based on how many steps in the macro

if you use builtin devices, that takes up no device upgrade memory

a way oversimplification for device upgrade memory usage for a

device which uses custom protocol is around 70-120 units of memory.

Using builtin protocol that drops to around 35-50 units of memory.

Using buitin protocol and builtin device, device memory usage drops to

zero, so the only memory usage is the keymoves you configure.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
looks like they're only in stores.... none online.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
looks like they're only in stores.... none online.
Nope, they're def. not online. Just give a call to your local store to see if they have them first though. Of the 7 or so stores in my area one had 7 and all the others had 0.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, that really is an amazing price. Is it me, or was it a pretty damn good price at $49 for what it is? I'm about to go pick up two for myself and one for a friend. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
104 Posts
got the last one at my local shack today at lunch....can't beat the price! Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
217 Posts
They had two left at the RS by my office. I snagged one and a bunch of other stuff on clearance as well. Can't believe they were selling a 14' IEEE 1394 cable for $5, new!

The 15-2117 is physically identical to the 15-1995 remote I've used for many years. I paid a lot more than $15 for my 15-1995, I don't regret a penny. I've got a box full of OEM and store bought remotes, but IMHO, the 15-1995 is the best, even before I discovered JP1 and all that it can do.

The 15-2117 has the exact same button layout and rubberized feel as the 15-1995, but some of the functions assigned to some of the buttons are different. The 15-2117 also supports more devices, like ReplayTV, which my 15-1995 only supported via JP1.

Definitely snag one of these if you can find one at your local RS!

RF

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I just picked one up. The RF range isn't that great, no where near the 100' that's stated on the package. I only got about 15' out of it until I relocated it in an elevated position, and now it works at least 30' away and upstairs, so not bad and exactly what I was looking for.

Now I can easily control my Replay from my bedroom or back porch, which was the main reason for getting it in the first place. I was all set to get an IR extender and run cables, but this was much easier and a lot less expensive. It'll take a while to get used to the size of this thing, but it has tons of features which I'm only starting to explore.

Highly recommended if you can find one.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
I just picked one up. The RF range isn't that great, no where near the 100' that's stated on the package. I only got about 15' out of it until I relocated it in an elevated position, and now it works at least 30' away and upstairs, so not bad and exactly what I was looking for.

Hmmmm... maybe try another set of batteries. I get much more range from mine. Of course, all I have are sheetrock walls with wood studs and very few mirrors on the walls (which reflect IR, but can block RF).

Sometimes, like you observed, the problem isnt' the RF signal to the base, but rather the IR signal FROM the base to the equipment.

I have two of these things (just so we never lose the remote). I'm tempted to hook the second one up and see if it doesn't improve further the strength of the IR signal from the base.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you live in West LA, California - there are three at the location on La Cieniga and one at the location in Marina Del Rey. You have to ask a sales person to find the remotes, cause they are not displayed. Only the newer units are on the floor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is there any way to tell the remote and its RF base station to ignore signals from another 15-2117? Would like to use these in more than one room, but obviously don't want signals from living room operating the Replay in the bedroom.

-John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked one up too, but it doesn't seem to support my Onkyo Receiver. I searched through the codes and none worked. Is JP1 the only way it'll happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schwab
Picked one up too, but it doesn't seem to support my Onkyo Receiver. I searched through the codes and none worked. Is JP1 the only way it'll happen? Thanks!
I think device code 0135 works for the basic stuff like power toggle,

vol+/-, mute, sleep, discrete tuner video1-5.

However on some of the newer Onkyo systems they started using multiple

subdevices within the same remote so I had to customize the device to get

the Discrete input select for DVD and Discrete PowerOff

http://hifi-remote.com/ofa/codes-amp.shtml#amp
http://hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin/ueic.cgi?amp_0135

I only briefly used the builtin 0135 before creating a custom device so I

may not be remembering things exactly correct.

Which Onkyo receiver do you have?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnHeller
Is there any way to tell the remote and its RF base station to ignore signals from another 15-2117? Would like to use these in more than one room, but obviously don't want signals from living room operating the Replay in the bedroom.

-John
Personally I treated this situation the same as having 2+ replays

sitting on top of each other in the media center. I assigned discrete

unit #s to all my replays so I can select exactly which unit I want to

control.

Robman wrote up an excellent post regarding this in the FAQ section:
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...88#post2153288

BTW for all you folks who just picked up the 15-2117, a great place to

ask your questions is on the forums run by Robman at:
http://hifi-remote.com/forums

I don't think I can recall any question regarding remotes those folks

weren't able to answer.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
BTW for all you folks who just picked up the 15-2117, a great place to

ask your questions is on the forums run by Robman at:
http://hifi-remote.com/forums

I don't think I can recall any question regarding remotes those folks

weren't able to answer.
Occassionally we get a "why on earth did they do that?" type question about some bit of poor design, and those tend to have us stumped, but otherwise we do manage to answer most questions! :)

1 - 20 of 394 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.