AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
No... I've verified it. The base stations are interchangeable.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pete, your PM box is full. I was going to offer you a 2117 swap if you are still looking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone here ever used the HTPRO remote to control X10? Im having some difficulties getting it to work with my IR543.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nimda
Anyone here ever used the HTPRO remote to control X10? Im having some difficulties getting it to work with my IR543.
Are you using the HOME/0167 code?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
I use a couple of 9910-IR543 pairs with the home automation 0167 code. Just make sure the IR "input" sensor on the IR543 can "see" the IR from either the remote, the base station, or the IR emitter that plugs into it.

A quick test is to set the IR543 and an X10 module to identical house codes and see if the HTPRO can control it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkScreen
I use a couple of 9910-IR543 pairs with the home automation 0167 code. Just make sure the IR "input" sensor on the IR543 can "see" the IR from either the remote, the base station, or the IR emitter that plugs into it.

A quick test is to set the IR543 and an X10 module to identical house codes and see if the HTPRO can control it.
Thats exactly what I did. I first tried leaving the Appliance Module set at the default A1 and the IR543 works when i manually press the on/off buttons. However its the remote that doesnt seem to work and yes it is using the 0167 code. The remote is defintely sending the signals for the power button and buttons 0-9 because i ese the IR543 light come on as I press the buttons. Im sure I am forgetting something I just dont know what. I did also try changing the module to channel 6 and still no different outcome with the remote.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As I recall, the CH + and CH - should send out a all on or all off X10 command. If these don't work, you might try another remote that has the home automation codes. This should help to isolate the problem between your HTPRO remote and the IR543.

It's possible (but unlikely) that your IR543 is getting IR signals from both your HTPRO AND its base unit, and that the delay thru the base unit is corrupting the signals. Maybe try unpluging the base unit.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
be sure you know this weak tidbit of information:

You may not get any signal at all if the IR sender is too close to the IR receiver.

If you haven't already, space the IR sender and IR receiver 2-3" away from each other and align them eye to eye, then try again.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Thats exactly what I did. I first tried leaving the Appliance Module set at the default A1 and the IR543 works when i manually press the on/off buttons. However its the remote that doesnt seem to work and yes it is using the 0167 code. The remote is defintely sending the signals for the power button and buttons 0-9 because i ese the IR543 light come on as I press the buttons. Im sure I am forgetting something I just dont know what. I did also try changing the module to channel 6 and still no different outcome with the remote.
Just brainstorming here:

1) After pressing the correct numeric button, are you then using the CH+ and CH- buttons to try and turn the module on and off? The VOL+/- buttons should also work to brighten and dim the light (if it's a light).

2) If that is what you're doing, could you have learned something over the CH buttons and forgotten about it? If this is possible, and if you don't have too much user programming in the remote, do an OPS RESET to see if that clears it.

3) If the CH buttons work but the VOL buttons do not, check that you don't have the VOLUME LOCK turned on in this device mode.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey you guys rock thanks for the ideas.... It seems that the channel button is the trick. I am only using one module right now so Im not sure if Im doing all on/off or just that module. Its actually not a light its a electric screen for my home theater. I think I am using volume lock what are the volume keys supposed to do?

Thanks guys

Dave

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
As I said in my last post, the volume keys are used to brighten and dim lights, they won't have any effect on an appliance module.

But regardless, you should unlock the volume in this device mode.

·
Registered
443 Posts
what kind of batteries do most people use in remotes like this? Ive been replacing std alkalines about every 5 weeks. I know the backlight is a big factor in battery life.

Question: I use rechargables in my digicam, since its a high drain device. Are they suitable for this type of remote?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spydermonkey311
Question: I use rechargables in my digicam, since its a high drain device. Are they suitable for this type of remote?
I use NiMH and set the backlight mode to off. It's still available when you need it to see the display or find an unfamiliar button. Allowing the backlight to turn on every time you press a button wastes battery charge.

I've found that the rechargeables in my 9910's last many months of heavy use.

BTW, except for programming, I find the display almost useless.... and I never bother setting the clock.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
You can get a NiMH charger that changes batteries in 15 min.

NiMH batteries lose ~2% of their charge per a day whether you use them or not, so they're a good choice for higher powered devices that deplete a standard set of batteries in 6 weeks or less. At least that's what a female customer service person at Energizer told me (her sweet voice gave a new meaning to 'energizer bunny').

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spydermonkey311
what kind of batteries do most people use in remotes like this? Ive been replacing std alkalines about every 5 weeks. I know the backlight is a big factor in battery life.
That seems excessive to me. I believe I get at least 3-4 months from my std. akalines. And I do not disable the backlight. Of course I always keep more than one of these remotes lying around my living room / kitchen, so I can't say that it's always the same one I replace.

Plus, I'm married. My guess is that spydermonkey is single and, like a lot of single guys, he spends too much time playing with his remote.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
That seems excessive to me. I believe I get at least 3-4 months from my std. akalines. And I do not disable the backlight. Of course I always keep more than one of these remotes lying around my living room / kitchen, so I can't say that it's always the same one I replace.

Plus, I'm married. My guess is that spydermonkey is single and, like a lot of single guys, he spends too much time playing with his remote.
LOL. Im married also, but she like my remote more than the 15-2117 :p

Back on topic, I purchased some Energizer NiMh last night. Im going to see how well they work.

I use the display alot. The clock function is nice, since I dont have the time on any of my HTS components :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman

While on the subject of irrationally priced remotes, you should check out the HT-Pro remote (which is a re-badged "One For All" URC-9910) which can be had from X10.com for just $7.99, and if you spend $50 they'll give you free shipping.
Has anybody ordered one of these remotes on or after 2/22/05, and actually received it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BlindLemonLarry
Has anybody ordered one of these remotes on or after 2/22/05, and actually received it?
Ordered a couple on 2/25. Asked them for status and today they replied:

"I'm sorry but are items have not shipped due to the fact that they are out of stock at the warehouse for the time being."

In that message they described the product and status as:

Universal URC-9811B00 Home Theater LCD Remote Control is a handy universal unit for controlling various home electronics like TVs and DVD players.

EUNI-9811B00-SD

Back-ordered

Sounds to me like they do plan to ship if/when they get more.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Unfortunately, they still have it listed as "in stock" on the website.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Quote:
Originally posted by ClearToLand
How extensive is your X-10 collection?
I would have replied earlier but wanted to look up the proper names to the x10 devices I have. Noticed your post awhile searching and just winging a response.

I got a bunch of those appliance moduals (about 8) that replace a standard wall outlet.

I got a bunch of those 'stick anywhere' on/off switches (about 8) --the ones that are the same size as a light switch--that control 3 X10 things (plus a dimmer(that I dont use)).

I got a few motion detectors (bout 3)

a few trancevers

2 IR to X10 Converter box things that work with 2117 remotes.

1 X10 remote

Probably have a few other items I forgot about.

The thing is I'm nomadic. I finally started living in my apartment the same time there was an owner change and he gave everyone 2 months to move. So I moved in to another place 6 weeks ago. Painted the place, full carpet clean.. whole drill. put up shelves and stuff. This place is even smaller then the other place. I haven't slept their yet. Guess I have to set it up with X10 now. The other place was finally how I wanted it.

Now liz has some friend with a house going through escrow and liz is going to let her stay in the spare bedroom full of boxed replaytvs and other crap. And she wants me to live in my apartment. That sucks. I didn't have to move last two times girls moved in.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this. oh yeah. I never get my X10 fully set up.

361 - 380 of 394 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.