AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering a 6-zone version of the Grafik Eye QS. Getting quotes right now, was told I should decide now whether to go wired or wireless.

The seller said if I want to go to RadioRA 2 sometime in the future, I should go wireless, as the Grafik Eye QS can't do wireless and wired simultaneously. If I buy wired keypad(s) now, I'd have to replace them with wireless keypads when I upgraded as the wired ones would stop working.

My highest priority is full automation of the theater, and being able to control with IR/RF remotes and computer software. I don't want to lose that functionality in order to integrate it into whole-home control. Walls are open so wired vs. wireless is not a concern from that perspective.

Questions:

1) I believe him that I can't do wired/wireless at the same time. That being said - is he wrong?

2) Can I get the same granularity of control through RadioRA2 as I can with the QSE-CI-NWK-E RS-232/Ethernet module for the Grafik Eye QS? Can I use the QSE-CI-NWK-E module in wireless mode? Through the computer and/or IR remote, I want full control of each zone (up/down in 1% increments, on/off, Sivoia shade control, scene selection from any scene) - can I do that through the RadioRA2 controller (RR-MAIN-REP-WH) with a PC?

I wouldn't _mind_ having the best of both worlds, but if I have to choose, I choose full theater automation over whole house integration.

So all that being said, what's your verdict? Wired or Wireless?

By the way, in the end I want a system like this:

-6 zones of lighting, possibly expanding to more with two grafik eye units hooked together.

-2 Sivoia shade controls - one for a blackout shade in the window, the other for screen curtains or masking

- Ethernet control so I can program a computer to do stuff

- Scene selection / shade up/down control at room entrance

- IR integration

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg  /t/1419062/grafik-eye-qs-for-theater-control-wired-or-wireless#post_22196810

I am strongly considering a 6-zone version of the Grafik Eye QS. Getting quotes right now, was told I should decide now whether to go wired or wireless.

The seller said if I want to go to RadioRA 2 sometime in the future, I should go wireless, as the Grafik Eye QS can't do wireless and wired simultaneously. If I buy wired keypad(s) now, I'd have to replace them with wireless keypads when I upgraded as the wired ones would stop working.

I'm surprised by this, but yes, according to the manual, it appears this is correct. That said, I have a QS model in the default mode for wireless (ignore programming) and it works with my wired keypads.
Quote:
My highest priority is full automation of the theater, and being able to control with IR/RF remotes and computer software. I don't want to lose that functionality in order to integrate it into whole-home control. Walls are open so wired vs. wireless is not a concern from that perspective.

Well, when I ordered my unit from Hank's Electric, the price was the same for wireless-capable models, so probably no reason NOT to get one if that's still the case.

I was planning to use the Ethernet control, but since the QS models have a nice wired IR port on the back, and I was already going down the iRule and GlobalCache GC-100 path, I just used that. I intend to add RadioRA2 to my house soon, but this little tidbit tells me I probably won't integrate the theater into that control - since I've got a couple of wired keypads.

Jeff

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1419062/grafik-eye-qs-for-theater-control-wired-or-wireless#post_22196943

I was planning to use the Ethernet control, but since the QS models have a nice wired IR port on the back, and I was already going down the iRule and GlobalCache GC-100 path, I just used that. I intend to add RadioRA2 to my house soon, but this little tidbit tells me I probably won't integrate the theater into that control - since I've got a couple of wired keypads.

Jeff

Thanks for your input. I looked up the iRule and GC-100. Those look like a great route to go for remote control. So for the IR port on the back of the Grafik Eye - do you just chop the emitter off of a pair of wires from an IR repeater and hook them in?

I also looked at your build thread - which I will take some time to read - you obviously took some good time to post it all!

I read the first few posts - this is sidetracking I know - but how would I go to CEDIA? It says industry professionals only. I could always fake it I guess, but are you in the industry? Is that a new CEDIA rule?

Back to the Grafik Eye - I think what I'll do is wire for it at the very least. And also run 120V from my lighting junction box to the entry box (since if I go wireless the pads need 120V) I think I'll go with wired controls too for now. It would only be an entry pad anyway to replace if I went wireless - and hold off on getting the Ethernet control module until I flesh out other automation options - my design is such that I could put it in after the room is done.

It seems like controlling the theater room from RadioRA2 isn't the biggest deal anyway. Why would I control the room from somewhere in the rest of the house if I wasn't actually in it? But I'll get the wireless QS and I can always go that way in the future too if I so desire.

Best thing always seems to be not painting oneself into a corner - too much...

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg  /t/1419062/grafik-eye-qs-for-theater-control-wired-or-wireless#post_22199638

Thanks for your input. I looked up the iRule and GC-100. Those look like a great route to go for remote control. So for the IR port on the back of the Grafik Eye - do you just chop the emitter off of a pair of wires from an IR repeater and hook them in?

Essentially, yes. I used a 25' emitter cable, and fashioned a pigtail out of some leftover PELV wire and a female 3.5" connector to make the final connection. I wouldn't recommend cutting off an emitter, simply because that wire is really tiny and will be difficult to work with.
Quote:
I read the first few posts - this is sidetracking I know - but how would I go to CEDIA? It says industry professionals only. I could always fake it I guess, but are you in the industry? Is that a new CEDIA rule?

Not a new rule, but as long as folks like us that show up are respectful of the rep's time in the booths, I wouldn't expect them to "crack down" on the enthusiast crowd...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should amend this thread.

You _can_ use wired and wireless at the same time, provided it has nothing to do with RadioRA2 - i.e. a QS standalone system.

If you want to add RadioRA2, then the RA2 repeater becomes the controller, the Grafik Eye QS is a wireless "slave" device, and the QS link connected to the Grafik Eye goes "dark" (is disabled) when it is in this mode.

The "product specification submittal" page 2 (system topologies" on the Lutron website shows the connectivity options:

Lutron Document

Also I _think_ if you use the RS232 or Ethernet interface (like the QSE-CI-NWK-E) then it can only see wired devices physically on the QS wired link. but I'm not sure about that. Anyone know for sure? It isn't a big deal because the Grafik Eye will always be on the wire and by controlling that you can control anything else in the QS standalone system. But if you convert to Radio RA2, the interface device on the QS link becomes useless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts