AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing the GRX-2404 Grafik Eye model and I have a Pronto TSU-2000, do I need to purchase the separate remote control for the Grafik Eye unit as well to transmit the codes to the Pronto or can I do it from the GRX-2404 alone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for your quick response. I very much appreciate it.

I've read many of your posts in this forum, and used many of your recommendations in my home theater. I must say that when it comes to home theater your knowledge is indispensable.

Thanks Again Dennis!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Just be aware that the 2000 series Grafic Eye will not work with the Lutron remote receiver eye. You must move to the 3000 series or higher to use that. Don't know if that is an issue for you or not. Found this out on the Lutron site when scoping things out for myself.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
To make this clear...the 2400 series Grafik Eyes WILL work with Lutron's hand held IR transmitters and with Pronto's and other IR devices. As a Lutron HomeWorks dealer, we don't see alot of 2400's; however, I believe the restriction referred to above applies only to the 2402 since it does not have the PELV (Class 2) terminals for their accessory controls.

Again...all 2400 series will work with IR.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Sorry if I was unclear. I was certainly not referring to the 2000 series not working with an IR remote. It does. It was the inability to connect a remote EYE to it. This is specifically stated on their web site. You can, however, always use an external eye/repeater if desired.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Now that my theater is pretty much done (famous last words, eh?), I've decided I'm going to upgrade my current 4-gang box (Leviton dimmers) with a Grafik Eye GRX-2404.

However, I want to be sure I'm getting everything I need and am selecting the right unit.

Here's the run-down:

I have 4 zones

Zone 1 - 125 watts total. This zone controls the lights at the bottom and top of the stairs and is currently a 3-way switch with a normal switch at the top of the stairs and a 3-way dimmer at the bottom. I've been told I need a NTGRX-1S for the switch at the top to work with the Grafik Eye.

Zone 2 - 240 watts total

Zone 3 - 195 watts total

Zone 4 - 520 watts total

All told, this comes to 1080 watts which is within the 2000 watt limit for the 2404.

Does this unit come with a remote or do I have to purchase the remote (GRX-8IT) seperately?

All I'm looking to do is have the ability to dim the different zones to different levels via my Sony Remote Commander (I'm thinking I need the Lutron remote to "train" my current remote... is this correct?). I understand that this unit has factory presets with regards to the time it takes to bring the lights up and down but you can set them to different levels by some increment.

I have no need for the 2404 to talk to anything else so I don't think I need the 3000+ series.

Are these correct assumptions? Am I leaving anything out or not taking anything into consideration?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sorry for the "bump" folks, but the server is acting screwy and my last post in this thread didn't bubble it up.

- Ed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ed,

That remote is very expensive, and I think a lot of folks are getting the Lutron codes from Remote Central or the JP-1 group and learning them to their existing remote by one technique or another. I'm not familiar with your Sony remote, but I presume this can be done. You end up saving $100-200.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good point. I did a Google on that remote and found it for $70.00. Uh.... no, I don't think so. I'm very familiar with Remote Central so I'll have to double check on the codes and RTFM on my remote to see if I can manually program that stuff in.

Worse case scenario... I could always get the remote, program it and send it back. Then hope I never have to deal with my remote being reset. Then again, that wouldn't be ethical, would it? :D

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Worse case scenario... I could always get the remote, program it and send it back. Then hope I never have to deal with my remote being reset.
Actually, one thread on Remote Central (I think) suggested going to your friendly Lutron dealer with your own remote and politely asking them if they'd mind letting you use your remote to learn from theirs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

With the help of an AVS member, I got all 16 scenes programmed into a Radio Shack remote via JP-1 and sent to me for $40. I then used that remote to learn to my remote.

I did see two examples of the eight scene Lutron remote go on Ebay for about $75.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If I can get the Grafik Eye past the CFO (i.e. my wife) I'll FIND a way to deal with the remote issue. :D

Thanks, again, for your insight.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
881 Posts
BTW... for those of you that have a Grafik Eye, were you able to find it locally or did you have to have it special ordered. I've called a ton of places this morning and nobody stocks it due to it being a "specialty" product. Now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, I was hoping to get it and install it this weekend.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until next week. :(

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you're buying it new, it may take anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks, depending on color and finish. Have you looked at the Grafik RA? It should be less than $100 extra, but you get added integration with the Radio RA products and if you ever convert to a RF remote, you'll be set. (It still has the infrared receiver as well.)

John

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you don't mind going the Ebay route there are usually a couple of GrafikEyes listed. I picked up a six scene 3106 for $550 but I've seen them go for even less.

Tom

·
Registered
881 Posts
I haven't really considered going RA. However, I suppose I owe it to myself to investigate it.

My plans for the 2404 are to go with standard colors. A local distributor said it would take less than a week to get it in and his price was pretty darn reasonable based upon my Google searches.

As for ebay, I've checked and the only one's I've been able to find are the 3000 series, but thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Cheers!

- Ed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.