AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 50v500 almost a month ago... after the initial "wow" factor i have now started observing certain things in the PQ that "kinda" bother me... just want to ask if any of you are seeign the same things:

- In DVD and HD signals, the picture looks clear from more than 5-6 feet away but if i get closer i start seeing "grains" in the picture..I was under the impression that the HD programs (I have comcast cable) such as CSI would be crystal clear with no grainy appearance. this is not visible from more than 6 feet away.

- I currently have component cables from my HD reciever as well as dvd player (non-progressive) to the TV.... the picture is not really "sharp" for both dvd and HD.... i mean it is good..but not as sharp as i would like it to be ( look at a

·
Registered
99 Posts
> the picture looks clear from more than 5-6 feet away

You need to be at least six feet or more away to properly view

a 50" screen.

It's worthwhile to keep in mind that a HDTV, while much

improved over a regular TV, cannot be viewed as close as

you can get to a typical computer monitor The Hitachi has a

resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels spread across a 50" screen,

which works out to 18,000 pixels per diagonal inch. In

comparison, a 17" computer monitor running at 1024x768

has more than 46,000 pixels per diagonal inch! What this

means is that for the same subjective sharpness you need

to be at least 2.5 times further away from your 50" screen

that you would sit from a computer monitor. In practice,

since there is a lot of variation in PQ quality depending

upon the content you are watching, sitting about 8 to 10

feet back is probably the 'sweet' spot for this size screen.

MikeGT.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I totally agree with what Mike just said. There is definitely a learning curve when you buy any of the cutting edge sets. You have to indoctrinate yourself to what are the downsides of your particular tv and what are the limitations or imperfections of that which you are watching. Viewing distance is critical as Mike alludes to. Content varies whether you are talking about dvd's or hd. The more you watch the more you will notice this. A good dvd player......a good connection....it all matters. Tweaking your tv once you get it also matters. If I was to compare the tv I had when I first got it to the one I have now it is night and day.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rajb77
I got the 50v500 almost a month ago... after the initial "wow" factor i have now started observing certain things in the PQ that "kinda" bother me... just want to ask if any of you are seeign the same things:

- In DVD and HD signals, the picture looks clear from more than 5-6 feet away but if i get closer i start seeing "grains" in the picture..I was under the impression that the HD programs (I have comcast cable) such as CSI would be crystal clear with no grainy appearance. this is not visible from more than 6 feet away.

- I currently have component cables from my HD reciever as well as dvd player (non-progressive) to the TV.... the picture is not really "sharp" for both dvd and HD.... i mean it is good..but not as sharp as i would like it to be ( look at a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.