AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums trying to find something that applies to my situation, so far no luck though. So here it is. I am using a pc with an nvidia 9800gts and it is connected with a dvi to hdmi cable to a 42 inch jvc lcd tv. When watching 1080p video on the computer, the picture is grainy and poor quality, regardless of the media player being used. When I stream the same files over my network to either my ps3 or my other connected pcs, the quality is much better and there is no grainy look, even when stretched to fit the screen. I am assuming this is some sort of driver or settings issue, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. My pc runs at 1920x1080 which is also the native resolution of the tv. Video quality on video games is better, so this could be related to ffdshow maybe. As I said, I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, a qualification to the ffdshow comment, ps3 media server uses ffdshow to render the same files for streaming to the ps3 so I doubt the program is the issue. Also, this happens with avi and mp4 equally, so I am guessing it is a video card/driver issue

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Any overscanning going on? Incredibly common to have some when connecting a PC to a tv via HDMI, and (frankly) if you didn't do something with the tv setup to counteract it-I'd bet a dollar that's what's happening.

Anything in your manual about "just scan" or "dot by dot" or connecting a PC in this manner?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.