AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the cross-posting. I placed the original post in the wrong forum :)

I thought I'd turn here for some help. I'm seeking to purchase the said LCD rear projectors. Futureshop in Canada has both models (the Wega is 2005 model, all silver) going, with stands included, for $3999.00. The salesmen are telling me to go with the Hitachi (it's a 2004) because it's a better all-around machine by the inventors of the LCD HDTV technology (Hitachi). What do you guys think? For me, it's an aesthetic issue, too; I love the way the Sony looks (no black border too around the screen like on the Hitachi)!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty new to this environment. I'd really appreciate the help.

Here's what the specs are for the Wega:

WebID: 10047234

Mfr. Part Number: KF50WE620

480i/480p 540p/960i 720p/1080i Capability 480i/480p/720p/1080i

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Built-In Protective Screen Shield Yes

Center Channel Input No

Channel Labeling Yes

Comb Filter No

Commercial Skip No

Component Video Inputs 2

Digital Focus No

Display Type Rear Projection LCD

Dolby Digital Surround Sound No

Fine Pitch Screen Yes

First Surface Mirror No

Front A/V Inputs/Outputs 1 Input

Front S-Video Inputs/Outputs 1 Input

HDTV Compatible Yes

Headphone Jack No

Included In Box Manual, REmote, 2 x AA Batteries

Invar Shadow Mask No

Language Options English, French, Spanish

Lenticular Screen No

Multi Sync Multi Source No

Parental Control Yes

Picture-In-Picture Yes

Product Dimensions 137.7 (W) x 92.8 )H) x 45.2 (D) cm

Product Warranty 1 Year

Product Weight 37 Kg

Progressive Scanning Yes

Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs 2 Inputs

Rear S-Video Inputs/Outputs 2 Inputs

Remote Control Type Universal

RF Inputs 2

Scan Velocity Modulation No

Screen Size 50"

Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes

Sound Logic Audio Leveler Yes

Speaker Output Jacks No

Speed Channel Surf Yes

Surround Sound Yes

TV Guide Plus No

Upconversion Technology Yes

Variable Audio Output Info Not Available

Vertical Compression Info Not Available

VGA/SVGA Inputs No

Video Input Labeling Yes

Watts Per Channel 15 Watts x 2

Wide Band Video Amplifier No

=====================================

Here's what they are for the Hitachi:

WebID: 10040568

Mfr. Part Number: 50V500

480i/480p 540p/960i 720p/1080i Capability 480i/480p/540p/960i/1080i

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Built-In Protective Screen Shield Yes

Center Channel Input No

Channel Labeling Yes

Comb Filter Digital 3DYC

Commercial Skip No

Component Video Inputs 2 - HDTV

Digital Focus Info Not Available

Display Type Rear Projection LCD

Dolby Digital Surround Sound No

Fine Pitch Screen Yes

First Surface Mirror Yes

Front A/V Inputs/Outputs 1 Input

Front S-Video Inputs/Outputs 1 Input

HDTV Compatible Yes

Headphone Jack Info Not Available

Included In Box Remote, Batteries, Manual

Invar Shadow Mask Not Applicable

Language Options English, French, Spanish

Lenticular Screen Yes

Multi Sync Multi Source Yes

Parental Control Yes

Picture-In-Picture Yes

Product Dimensions 138.1(W) x 90.2(H) x 41.6(D) cm

Product Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour

Product Weight 52.2 kg

Progressive Scanning Yes

Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs 3 Inputs

Rear S-Video Inputs/Outputs 2 Inputs

Remote Control Type Universal Illuminated

RF Inputs 2

Scan Velocity Modulation No

Screen Size 50"

Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes

Sound Logic Audio Leveler No

Speaker Output Jacks No

Speed Channel Surf No

Surround Sound Yes

TV Guide Plus No

Upconversion Technology Yes

Variable Audio Output 1

Vertical Compression Info Not Available

VGA/SVGA Inputs No

Video Input Labeling Yes

Watts Per Channel 12 Watts x 2

Wide Band Video Amplifier Yes

More Information

FEATURES:

* The LCD projection TV provides an elegant and flexible alternative for homes with smaller viewing environments.

* 3 panel(chip) LCD light engine for optimum colour and light output.

* Chip contains more than a million pixels for improved picture detail.

* 1080p Processing

* Virtual HD signal up conversion for all signals.

* Auto 3:2 Film Correction

* High Contrast Lens System

* Colour Purity Control

* Digital 4MB 3D Y/C comb filter and a 4 step detail and contrast enhancer.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxyvits
So you're basically saying: they're the same qualitatively?
No. They are different. You need to read more posts on these sets and then go into the store and decide for yourself. I would not buy either one of the sets you are considering. I would look at the newer model Sony sets and the XBR950. It is your choice in the end.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would too, if I were a millionaire. According to Sony.ca, the model you mention, above 42", besides being plasma, is above 10K (CAD).

I made the mistake of buying "top of the line" or close to top of the line in electronics, and I'm not interested in making that mistake again. Obviously if one has the money one will buy according to one's means. But I don't make the decision based on the cutting edge. That can get very expensive as today's cutting edge becomes yesterday's old news. People who go for the unaffordable better are almost always in fincancial straights, that is, if they try to keep up with the market.

Sorry, I don't find your advice very helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Actually, the KDF-60XBR950 is not plasma. It is an LCD Grand Wega. The problem with your post is exactly what you found out. Many issues come into play on selecting a TV. You need to do some research to narrow down the choices. You might want to consider used if price is a huge factor. You can probably get a KF-50XBR800 cheap and the PQ is excellent if you are willing to tweak the TV.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Maxy, both machines have strengths, and both have weaknesses. Some of those are objectively ascertained, and some are subjective.

No one is the tv god able to tell you which is best.

Just decide what's most important to you, spend a lot of time viewing them, and choose.

If UMR says the newer models are better, you can pretty much take that to the bank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way umr, CNET gave the KDF-60XBR950 a 0.1 better rating than the 50v500. The Sony got an 8.1 while the Hitachi (50v500) got an 8.0. By the way, one thing I've been hearing a lot is that the Hitachi provides a better out of the box experience than Sony. Professional calibration brings the Sony (i.e., WEGA KF50WE620) up to par, even though with regard to the out of the box element the same is said with regard to KDF-60XBR950.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxyvits
By the way umr, CNET gave the KDF-60XBR950 a 0.1 better rating than the 50v500. The Sony got an 8.1 while the Hitachi (50v500) got an 8.0. By the way, one thing I've been hearing a lot is that the Hitachi provides a better out of the box experience than Sony. Professional calibration brings the Sony (i.e., WEGA KF50WE620) up to par, even though with regard to the out of the box element the same is said with regard to KDF-60XBR950.
I really don't care what CNET says about any set. I have helped Kevin Miller who wrote those reviews with the calibration of these sets. I think I am qualified to have my own opinions. Kevin is qualified to have an opinion, but I may disagree with some points of it.

I always consider a set with professional calibration you may not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
http://www.widescreenreview.com/

I would suggest you subscribe to this site and download the review for the Hitachi. Other reviews are also available that may help. A recent series of articles on display technology that is in the last three issues can also be downloaded and is excellent resource material.
Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Maxyvits, stay away from the 620. It's just a redesigned 610 without the dark grey border. If you are interestd in Sony, look at the new KDF55WF655. Not only is the exterior redesigned much more, the picture quality is light years better than the old 610. According to the Sony rep who came in to our store, the 620 and 610 use the exact same 'guts' and therefor the same PQ. The KDF55WF655 has vastly superior PQ in my opinion. Another option you might look at is the Hitachi 50VS810. That one is also completely redesigned from the 50V500, but also has siginifcant PQ improvements. Both of these new sets have cable card, ATSC tuner etc as well.

Hitachi 50VS810 MSRP 3999, Sony KDF55WF655 MSRP 3599

·
Registered
132 Posts
You may be the first person to say he likes the cabinet on the 50WE620/655. But to each his own.

I've looked at both models extensively, as well as their 42 inch counterparts. But it's difficult to compare in stores since my FutureShop didn't have an HD feed going at the time (yeah I know...). Plus the in-store settings are usually the retina burning vivid or daytime modes.

Looking at the 42 inch models side by side, I can say that the screen door effect was noticeably less pronounced on the Sony. Possible because of it's slightly higher resolution. The same seemed be true on the 50 inch models as well, but it was more diffcult to tell since they were not side by side.

A point in favor of the Hitachi is that it's internal speakers can function as a center channel. Handy if you don't have a good place to stick your center.

I'd recommend looking at the 50V500 and GWIV owners thread for a sampling of the kind of problems those folks have experienced. I myself had a lot of problems with my 42V515 and am exchanging it for a 42WE620 (search the forum an you'll turn up my comments).

If the place you buy from does price matching, check out audiotronic.ca; they have the 50WE620 for $3699.00 Cdn. Use that as leverage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kickstart
You may be the first person to say he likes the cabinet on the 50WE620/655. But to each his own.

I've looked at both models extensively, as well as their 42 inch counterparts. But it's difficult to compare in stores since my FutureShop didn't have an HD feed going at the time (yeah I know...). Plus the in-store settings are usually the retina burning vivid or daytime modes.

Looking at the 42 inch models side by side, I can say that the screen door effect was noticeably less pronounced on the Sony. Possible because of it's slightly higher resolution. The same seemed be true on the 50 inch models as well, but it was more diffcult to tell since they were not side by side.

A point in favor of the Hitachi is that it's internal speakers can function as a center channel. Handy if you don't have a good place to stick your center.

I'd recommend looking at the 50V500 and GWIV owners thread for a sampling of the kind of problems those folks have experienced. I myself had a lot of problems with my 42V515 and am exchanging it for a 42WE620 (search the forum an you'll turn up my comments).

If the place you buy from does price matching, check out audiotronic.ca; they have the 50WE620 for $3699.00 Cdn. Use that as leverage.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately these newer ones are significantly more expensive than what I'm able to pay right now. The only viable option $$$-wise are the two models in the subject title. But really, thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kickstart

Yes, Futureshop does do price matching and they lowered their 620 to $3699. The 3999 I quoted earlier is with the matching stand and digital decoder included. Futureshop is selling the 50v500 to me with the matching stand and HD terminal for the same price. The Hitachi has more options than the Sony (see above list) but, believe or not, I love the aesthetics of the Sony casing more. And yes, I'm trying to get the biggest bang for the buck I'm able to afford.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.