41 - 60 of 2774 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXbox360 /forum/post/0

Aron,

Ignorance is bliss for a change.

I agree with you in this case. It bothers me when I analyze the picture all the time, but the TV is still pretty new to me. I think with what I have now, I can sit down and not worry about those damn color settings anymore (I programmed all three picture presets, so I have a variety to choose from for color temperature and brightness without changing values around).

As for a calibration disc, if you rent it from Netflix you won't get the color filters. It's probably worth the $15 for the DVD considering you just spent $2000+ on a TV. Some people have said the THX Optimzers differ for each DVD, but I've never done a comparison to see if that's true.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronparsons /forum/post/0

As for why Sony doesn't do it themselves, I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's to make their colors more vivid and such. Every Sony TV I've seen has horrible red push. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in at some point.

The reason for the red push is to compensate for the picture looking too blue. Sony and other TV makers try to balance the blue with the red to get a more natural looking picture. Cheaper TVs generally have poorer color decoders in them, so they usually crank the red up to balance things out.

From my experience, using DVE to calibrate with the color filters usually results in the screen looking more blue and the green being off a bit. You can't get it perfect, but you can get it closer to where it should be. And I've also found that the blue color filter, when setting the color, is usually wrong. The color setting usually has to be set lower.

I haven't messed with the SM on my 42A10 since it's very different from my Sony 30HS420. For now, setting the color down on the A10 in the 30-40 range seems to help get more natural looking colors. 38 seems to be the sweet spot for most sources.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:

Probably the best suggestion for fixing up the horrible color decoding is to set the CHAXIS value to 0002. The first post has step-by-step instructions for that; even if you're a n00b (
), it's simple to do (just don't start flipping things around in the service menu). After that, all of the settings posted on here are decent.

It really comes down to personal preference as to how you want the picture to look. A calibration DVD is handy so you have something to go off of, but eyeballing it until you like how it looks works too.

I want to say I watched a few shows last night in HD and played some Xbox, and after re-calibrating with the "red push" fix, things looked perfect to my eyes. Previously the picture just didn't look right, even after semi-calibrating with DVE. I am completely satisifed with the picture now and plan on leaving things as they are.

I m not sure about missing with my Tv service menu! but what about Avia DVD what does it do? does it only work for DVDs or TV channels as well? man I feel lost in here

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone /forum/post/0

I m not sure about missing with my Tv service menu! but what about Avia DVD what does it do? does it only work for DVDs or TV channels as well? man I feel lost in here

Don't mess with the SM unless you know what you're doing.

A calibration DVD will set the correct settings for your DVD player. Other sources are generally set by eye by using the settings from your DVD player as a start. That or you can pay for an ISF calibration and get everything set up perfect--or near perfect.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

Quote:

I'm no expert, but changing values like these shouldn't have any negative effect on the unit. I'm sure there are options in the service menu that can damage the unit though.

As for why Sony doesn't do it themselves, I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's to make their colors more vivid and such. Every Sony TV I've seen has horrible red push. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in at some point.

There probably are service menu entries that will do unexpected things like turn off a color completely or even reset the set to a completely unadjusted state thus erasing any factory adjustments that were made. That is why I don't plan to change entries blindly. If I did start experimenting the first thing I would do is save *all* the current settings before I started changing ones I was unsure about.

The reason all the manufacturers misadjust the sets by default is they believe that it improves sales in the showroom. That is true for too much contrast, brightness and sharpening but I think the case with red-push is different. Without red-push they could oversaturate the colors of a source with accurate colors which would probably sell more sets. I think they put in red-push to protect against badly calibrated broadcasts with too much blue or green. If a customer sees sickly blue/green people they won't buy the set but too much red just looks like a ruddy complexion so they will still buy the set. If the stores used quality high-def sources then problem colors from the source wouldn't be an issue but the reality is most stores put any crappy input available on the sets for display. Whatever the case I sure wish the manufacturers would get smart enough to put a high accuracy image menu selection that would turn off all the showroom exagerations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are we talking about "AVIA Guide to Home Theater" or is there something else for HDTV Calibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinXbox360 /forum/post/0

THX Optimzer is on the Fantasia 2000 DVD and well as other THX certified discs, like Star Wars, other Disney-Pixar movies. It's a basic test to do some minor tweaking.

Avia & Digital Video Essentials aka DVE seem to be the 2 most popular ones.

Local video stores don't carry them, but if you are with Netflix or even Blockbuster online mailing serivce, you can get them there.

Or you could always purchase them from a store.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain /forum/post/0

Don't mess with the SM unless you know what you're doing.

A calibration DVD will set the correct settings for your DVD player. Other sources are generally set by eye by using the settings from your DVD player as a start. That or you can pay for an ISF calibration and get everything set up perfect--or near perfect.

So which calibrating DVD do u recommend? currently my DVD player is my playstation would that make any difference!

You mentioned ISF calibration what is that and how much it costs?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
here's my solution to pc overscan.

download powerstrip

under custom resolutions, select 1200x666

next select 16:9 aspect ratio.

save it!

done. it looks damn good this way and it always works!

·
Registered
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone /forum/post/0

So which calibrating DVD do u recommend? currently my DVD player is my playstation would that make any difference!

You mentioned ISF calibration what is that and how much it costs?

Thanks

There's a new calibration related area on the forum, where you may find some general infomation regarding the different disks.

This thread here ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585617 ) has some information regarding ISF.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by npm /forum/post/0

Good tip.

My default for the CH_AXIS1 setting was 003C. When I went to 003B the red push definitely was minimized, but as you said, a green push was added. For fun, I continued to decrease the value and when I hit 0002 the red was minimized without increasing the green. It seems that each setting number has an effect, but not a incremental one. I will be curious to know what you think!

Please post any additonal details about the service menu. I had an older Sony set and got comfortable with the service menu. The A10 menu is significantly different and I can't make heads or tails of it.

I am especially curious if you have figured out any of the MID-5 type settings. I didn't see those parameter names when I cycled through the menu.

Also, I noticed a category called PC_CONFIG. In that category (25) there is a parameter called PANEL_UNDER_SCAN. I got very excited when I saw it, but it appeared to have no effect on the Under Scan of input 7. Any thoughts?

I hope this thread picks up. Keeping up with the huge 2500 post A10 thread is tough. The tweek info and dialog gets lost in the mix.

Thanks.

So far I like your CHAXIS setting of 0002 best so I have edited my tweak. For PC overscan I think the powerstrip method is the best solution. I also don't know of any MID-5 type settings and I am happy enough with my display now that I don't plan to muck with the service menu much more for awhile.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconvolver /forum/post/0

So far I like your CHAXIS setting of 0002 best so I have edited my tweak. For PC overscan I think the powerstrip method is the best solution. I also don't know of any MID-5 type settings and I am happy enough with my display now that I don't plan to muck with the service menu much more for awhile.

Thanks! It is really great that this thread has picked up. I am becoming more and more satisfied with the display. When I asked about the MID-5 settings, I discounted my picture sources as potential problems. I have Comcast (6412) and DIRECTV (HD DVR) and OTA picture sources. DIRECTV, as expected, has some of the softest PQ on the 1080i channels and the most blocking of all sources. I am becoming more and more convinced that the integrated DVR's are still softening the picture a bit. I wish I had a non-DVR DIRECTV HD STB to compare. Comcast also has some blocking. Non-DVR'd OTA is where I feel this set is best. I particularly like CBS's PQ (even with the 1080i to 720p internal conversion) and ABC MNF usually looks incredible.

I read at some point that these sets had a problem with blocking. Where the TV has problems as opposed to the picture source, but watching OTA here with CBS (no multi-cast) and ABC the TV is great with very few problems.

I am curious about what you guys are experiencing with Powerstrip and changing the resolution. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

1. What input are you using (VGA, HDMI?)

2. If you are using VGA, does changing the resolution with Powerstrip affect the over/under scan?

3. If using VGA, which zoom setting are you using?

4. If HDMI, are you using a DVI-HDMI cable alone or are you also using an HDMI-DVI adapter? When I connected my (Mac) to the HDMI port with a DVI-HDMI cable I did not get a picture. It was suggested to use a DVI-DVI cable with a DVI-HDMI adapter, I will try that next.

5. Can you post your powerstrip settings? There have been several resolutions posted, I would be curious what works for you. I am using a Mac (HTPC) and will use DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX to tweak the res. The under scan with zoom 2 doesn't bother me all that much, but I would love to get the full use of the screen. We did buy a 42" or 50" screen. It seems reasonable to expect a full screen picture.

Cool, thanks.

b

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by npm /forum/post/0

Thanks! It is really great that this thread has picked up. I am becoming more and more satisfied with the display. When I asked about the MID-5 settings, I discounted my picture sources as potential problems. I have Comcast (6412) and DIRECTV (HD DVR) and OTA picture sources. DIRECTV, as expected, has some of the softest PQ on the 1080i channels and the most blocking of all sources. I am becoming more and more convinced that the integrated DVR's are still softening the picture a bit. I wish I had a non-DVR DIRECTV HD STB to compare. Comcast also has some blocking. Non-DVR'd OTA is where I feel this set is best. I particularly like CBS's PQ (even with the 1080i to 720p internal conversion) and ABC MNF usually looks incredible.

I read at some point that these sets had a problem with blocking. Where the TV has problems as opposed to the picture source, but watching OTA here with CBS (no multi-cast) and ABC the TV is great with very few problems.

[...]

I suspect the softness for D* is in the transmission and will exist with any box until their switch to MPEG-4. I might subscribe to them after they upgrade if the comments are favorable and if they give me a free HD box. Right now I think that at least 99% of my picture quality issues are caused by the source. On some OTA HD shows the picture quality is really excellent. Other stations or shows can look bit-starved or soft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is anyone using the Oppo digital DVD player with this TV? I am using Dark Rain's settings for all of my other inputs and just wanted to know if people are calibrating a little different when using this player.

Btw, thanks for the tweaks that everyone has posted here. I used them and my tv looks awesome, I can't believe its the same set.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I simply want the A10's timer function to turn the tv off each evening at midnight. So far I've had no luck in getting the timer function to work. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im new to the board, so hello to everyone. I have some settings here that I think are pretty good, im not sure where I found them but I made a few tweaks to them.

Im using my XBOX as my DVD player (which is not progressive scan), and I wanted to see what others thought of this set up. Also, let me know if the settings work well with a progressive scan DVD player.

Iris - 2

Picture - 78 - 80

Brightness - 33

Color - 40

Hue - G1

Sharpness - 5 - 8

Noise Reduction - OFF

DRC Mode - High Density

Black Corrector - OFF

Advanced Iris - LOW

Gamma - LOW

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

Like I said these may only be good for using an XBOX as the DVD player, please let me know. Thank you.

I could also be blind as a bat and have no idea what im doing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Chewy, those settings are a bit too contrasty for my tastes, but if it looks good to you then enjoy it. There really is no perfect setting as everybody has different tastes. It could just be your XBOX, though.

I prefer the "flat" look rather than the out of the box "cartoony" look.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain /forum/post/0

Chewy, those settings are a bit too contrasty for my tastes, but if it looks good to you then enjoy it. There really is no perfect setting as everybody has different tastes. It could just be your XBOX, though.

I prefer the "flat" look rather than the out of the box "cartoony" look.

Thanks for the input, which of your settings would you recommend for me?

The one thing I didnt mention before is my lighting conditions, I watch my movies at night with very minimal light if none at all.

Do you own an XBOX, if so did you try the settings using that or on your own DVD player? Im wondering if different players could require different settings. Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to bother everyone, but I thought of another question.

Whats your thoughts on the CineMotion feature, should I have this on while watching DVDs, and is it going to affect me when playing video games?

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca /forum/post/0

Sorry to bother everyone, but I thought of another question.

Whats your thoughts on the CineMotion feature, should I have this on while watching DVDs, and is it going to affect me when playing video games?

Turn it ON for every input. If it is not applicable, the TV will disable it if not needed. So it's just easier to have it on. There isn't any negative to having it on, only positive.

And in regards to your Xbox settings, those are almost identical to mine, although I have the sharpness at about 30 & Picture down about 20 points.

But it really goes by what tyou like. I used others recommendations and then tweaked it to what suited my needs.

I'm not fanatical or a videophile, so I just used more knowledgeable people as a reference and then adjusted to my tastes. Usually it was pretty close.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would highly recommend not using the Xbox as a DVD player. Xbox does not actually output a true black, it only outputs a very, very, dark green. In addition it doesn't output a very good signal.

I would reccomend either buying a new DVD player (which may not be an option), or modding your xbox and using one of the hacked DVD players which should output a higher quality signal. Additionally, some of the hacked DVD players for Xbox will output 480p so you will get a better picture.

41 - 60 of 2774 Posts