AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, it's kinda sorta home automation so I'm putting in this forum. If this is the wrong place, mods please move.

Does anyone have experience (from a consumer or installer perspective) on Grandcare ( http://www.grandcare.com )? A bit of background: it's a monitoring system using a variety of communication standards (X10, Zigbee, Bluetooth) to assess whether an elderly loved one has opened a door, slept in her bed, taken her pills, etc. Fee-based monitoring service like an alarm system, with ability to send alerts you designate to phone, email, etc.

I have an 87 year old mother with dementia/Alzheimers, but otherwise in good health. Around the clock care is too expensive, but I've promised to let her stay in her home as long as possible. I'm looking into this system as a way to check on her when sitters are not at the house.

Questions (for those with experience with system):

(1) Reliability - because of the mix of protocols, I'm concerned about the reliability of the monitoring - anyone have concerns?

(2) Compatibility with other systems. Mom's home is currently wired with a monitored alarm system as well as a "med-alert" device (necklace remote to press for help with phone-line-based 2 way communication speaker device). Any issues with ADDING a system like this on top of those two (though I wonder if the med-alert would still be necessary).

(3) Costs - anyone have any solid information on installation & equipment costs, as well as monitoring fees? I know they'll range based on the monitors you select, just looking for a starting range baseline install.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
837 Posts
This sounds like you need an Elk M1 Gold ($800) Haven't bought one yet myself but when I plan on adding an alarm system to my Automation i'll buy one. This would basically replace your current alarm system and you can just add sensors for interior doors to allow you to monitor. You then can setup things like if the bedroom door doesn't open by noon to send you an email.

Stuff like this has no monthly fee as long as you have a phone or internet. They're also designed to work with almost anything else. You could do all kinds of things, now a days they have RFID sensors that could track her movements throughout the house, then could send you an email if it leaves the house. corporations are starting to use stuff like this to track property to ensure it's not stolen without having to purchase locks or accuse their employees of theft

·
Registered
1 Posts
@mike1812 - I think I can help you out with this question.

Questions (for those with experience with system):

(1) Reliability - because of the mix of protocols, I'm concerned about the reliability of the monitoring - anyone have concerns?

The protocols can be used alone or together. There won't be a problem mixing and matching, but you certainly can choose to go with just wireless x10 or zwave. If you would like to talk with some of our current dealers using the system, you are welcome to get in touch with us and we'll get you some references to installers and integrators.

(2) Compatibility with other systems. Mom's home is currently wired with a monitored alarm system as well as a "med-alert" device (necklace remote to press for help with phone-line-based 2 way communication speaker device). Any issues with ADDING a system like this on top of those two (though I wonder if the med-alert would still be necessary).

No issues with combining the technologies. There is no wiring involved with GrandCare and it can easily work along side. The med-alert is an absolutely complementary technology to have along with GrandCare. GrandCare does not act as a crisis mgmt system and should instead be viewed as an overall wellness assessment, activity of daily living monitoring and communication/cognition/socialization system. GrandCare is the most comprehensive system out on the market (for sale since 2006) and combines aspects of home automation, telehealth, cognition, smart home (temp, lighting), digital photo frame, social networking, games, entertainment and family communication via an EASY to use touchpad or TV screen.

(3) Costs - anyone have any solid information on installation & equipment costs, as well as monitoring fees? I know they'll range based on the monitors you select, just looking for a starting range baseline install.

Systems can be purchased outright or leased. If you lease the system, expect to pay an upfront installation fee (depending on the depth of the install) and a refundable deposit. Monthly will range from $99 - $299 per month on average. If you opt to purchase instead, you will look at a cost of 2 - 6K on average along with a monthly software maintenance fee.

For more information, please contact us: [email protected]

Hope this helps you out!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts