AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Epson 8700UB, and want to pair it with a tensioned electric screen.

I was thinking the Elite CineTension, but the dealer I'm getting the kit from is suggesting the Grandview Tab-Tensioned model instead. It looks like the one they are selling now (LF-MIR 100) is different from the previous model, it includes the Somfy motor.

Any real world experiences with these screens? Reviews seem to be pretty thin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Grandview Tab Tension is a really good product. For sure a better quality product than the Elite.

That's just my personal opinion

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I like that the Elite comes with both RF and IR remotes, whereas the Grandview is only IR (which probably won't matter for me anyway). I'm most interested in the screen quality, and so far what I've read has been pretty positive.

One local dealer I talked to had only bad things to say about the Grandview (and Elite for that matter), but he pushes Stewarts all day long and I'm not interested in paying the 5x premium for a screen of similar dimensions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I decided to give the 100" Grandview Tab-Tensioned model (LF-MIR 100) a go. Hopefully this will be a decent paring to the 8700UB that is coming along side it.

Wish me luck, and I'll post setup pics once its all going.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed mine by myself. Took about hour and a half. It lays flat when down and the remote works from 15ft away. I found issue with my harmony remote though. I learned the commands from the screen remote to my harmony remote and it still did not work. other than that it works and looks great. check my sig for my pics

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I think it was your post in another thread that helped me decide to go with this model. I wanted it to fit in between my speakers, and I have JUST enough room to do that (based on your 100" bottom bar measurement).

Interesting though: it looks like your controls/power are on the BOTTOM of the case? From their instruction manual, it appears that on mine they are on the left SIDE??

http://www.grandviewscreen.ca/pphoto/13pmanualKLYI6.pdf

I haven't opened the box yet to confirm either way....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the older model has the controls on the side and the newer models has it on the bottom. The only difference is the end cap. I actually like the older style better but that's just my opinion

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll2222 /forum/post/19549115

I believe the older model has the controls on the side and the newer models has it on the bottom. The only difference is the end cap. I actually like the older style better but that's just my opinion

As soon as I bring it home and unpack it, I will let you know. My impression is the opposite (newer: side, older: bottom), based on the pictures off their website:

Newer:
http://www.grandviewscreen.ca/product?pid=13

Older:
http://www.grandviewscreen.ca/product?pid=14

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah mine are side as well. I installed the plug just behind the back edge of the projector so its mostly out of site. I did not even open the side cover lol. you will notice that there are some screws holding the weight bar in place(for shipping). remember to remove them after installation(I almost forgot).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sSolar /forum/post/19549509

Yeah mine are side as well. I installed the plug just behind the back edge of the projector so its mostly out of site. I did not even open the side cover lol. you will notice that there are some screws holding the weight bar in place(for shipping). remember to remove them after installation(I almost forgot).

Okay, so maybe that's my confusion.....In this picture:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t=IMG_5756.jpg

It looks like the controls are on the bottom, but I guess there is an end cap that covers the side???

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah see the little rectangle? that is where the adjustments and control(12v) are. the bottom is the pushbutton(up/down) and power(ac). I always think of triggers as control. I may be the confused one if ,in fact, you were refering to the manual up/down control lol. To be honest I just looked at my own pic and noticed that little push button there. I pushed it to see what would happen lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so I took it out of the box, and it is like yours. The manual they link to from their website isn't for that exact screen....nice.

So how does the button work? Down/Stop/Up?

Also, did you use the drop limit screw? From the specs it looks like there is almost 16" of extra black material between the white screen and full drop. I would like to limit this to 2", so make the total length from the ceiling around 61".

I wonder what the range of the drop limit settings is???

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not sure about the drop settings. When i did my first test after installation i used the micro buttons on the remote to slowly lower it. It ended up being like 1/2" above my centre and left it there. I got lucky on a lot of things with this screen. My joists were exactly where I needed them, I had 1/2" clearance all around with my speakers and my measurements all came within 1/16" of what I needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the screen and have it hooked up. Indeed, the power cord is coming out of the bottom. I'm impressed with how flat it is and I hope it stays that way! There are some indentations on the black border, but I see that as normal because of the curved nature of the sides, and the tabs will cause that.

For the record, there is LOTS of adjustment in the drop limit. I was actually able to adjust the drop to 3-4" BEFORE the top of the black border. Not that I needed that, but if you wanted to do a 2.35 setup, it might be handy to know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm on my second tab tensioned Grandview screen and can tell you that the motors in the newer ones are much quieter and smoother than the older ones, even though i must agree that the controls on the side do seem a bit neater on the older ones.

Value for money i reckon you can't go past these screens, They are definitely one of the better cheaper screens.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The quality of the Grandview is top notch so far, and I'm impressed with its adjustability. I am noticing significant light scatter, which may necessitate me to paint my room black
Hope the wife doesn't mind

Part of me wishes I knew about the SI Black Diamond before I pulled the trigger, but I do know that it would have cost at least 3x the price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eSolar, I was able to learn the codes for the Grandview by clicking "Custom" in the IR learn section of the Harmony software and clicking "Learn as RAW". All the functions work, save for the fact that that the delay between the key press commands is long, so using the micro adjust is slightly painful. Just FYI.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks, thats good to know. i'm gonna give it a try

1 - 19 of 19 Posts