AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this unit with good or bad results. I am thinking of buying one but have no way to audition. Any advice is appreciated.

Yamaha RX V3800

Creek Evolution CD

Monitor Audio RX1

Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub

One further question is the Grant Fidelity B283 MKII Tube Processor Snake Oil or Penicillian

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you heard the unit? Does it do as claimed and add tube warmth to the sound?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughalot /forum/post/19529719

Have you heard the unit? Does it do as claimed and add tube warmth to the sound?

Cheers

If it adds anything, it's distortion. You do know what distortion is, right?

I haven't heard the Grant, but have heard other tube buffers. Including the Yaquin, which I believe is the same unit. Waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some people like tube guitar amps, because they make pleasing tones when overdriven. But of course that's distortion, and you would not want to overdrive a pre amp, I think.

Maybe it adds some even order harmonics like some tube amps do, which some people like. Of course, that's also distortion.

Some of what I saw on their web, seemed a bit questionable. I quote -

"Solid State CD Player Processing. Simply patch your CD Player thru the B-283 MKII and into your amplifier/receiver for warming up and correcting what some call the digital harshness of CD's."

Well, if by warming up, they mean either rolling off high end response, or adding even order harmonic distortion, that's certainly possible. But how are you going to 'correct' 'digital harshness'? To me correction would imply making something correct, meaning making something closer to the intended result, which to me implies higher fidelity. Which nothing can accomplish. If by correcting, then mean changing the sound, resulting in less fidelity, of course that's possible.

I would challange the concept of digital harshness. Is digital inherently harsher than analog? Seems debatable. (If you google the topic you will find some claims that players with brick wall filters in them which effected frequencies from 15khz and up could have been responsible for some of that repuation, one would hope this is a thing of the past.)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Youve told me what I was thinking in the first place but wanted to hear it confirmed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts