AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this message in Grant Smyth's review of the LP350 & LT150, but as that was becoming a long thread and as I didn't want this question to be overlooked, I thought it was worth moving to its own thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant,

I have just downloaded the user manual for the LT150 and noticed that there is a facility to set "White Segment" to either On or Off.

The manual states use the On setting for greater brightness, or the Off setting if more accurate colours are desired. Presumably this allows the projectors onboard processing to "ignore" the clear section of the colour wheel as it spins?

Have you tried both settings and if so, what difference does it make? Do you think this facility is what makes the image look so good? What is the default setting and which setting are you using?

The details are on page E42 in the download version of the manual, heading "White Segment".

The menu route is as follows:

Advanced Menu > Projector Options > Setup > Page4 > White Segment(On/Off)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from Halcyon:

"Hm.. i did not notice that part of the manual but will check it out. Does anybody know if that helps the rainbows at all?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Good point about the rainbows Halcyon, I was only thinking of the effect this option may have had on overall contrast levels and colours, but perhaps it could reduce the visibility of rainbows too.

Over to you Grant and others who own an LT150 to test out and report back!

------------------

regards

Nelson

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have just noticed this comment in Steve Dodds comparison of the Plus UP880 v LT100 v DX3:

Quote: "The good news is that the (Plus UP880)whites aren't as hot as the LT100, even without using the quiet whites setting. As a consequence of this (I suspect) the rainbow effect is less visible and so are the crawlies."

Is this "quiet whites setting" on the UP880, the same facility as the "white segment On/Off" facility on the LT150?

Is this option a new facility on projectors, or is it that I have just never seen it mentioned in postings before?

------------------

regards

Nelson

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
More importantly, I wonder if the LT150 is smart enough to use a different gamma table based on if the white section is turned on or off. Obviously the UP1100/LT100/DX1s do not....

Andy K.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Grant,

I am thrilled to hear this has made an improvement! You see, as I don't yet have a projector of my own (I've seen demos of the DL450, Cinema One, VW10HT, but wasn't impressed enough to buy any of them), I have to get my thrills by reading everyone elses excited postings, or reading the user manuals that I can download! (Sad isn't it really?)

I was keen to see what facilities the LT150 offered after reading your enthusiastic reviews (for which I'm truly grateful). When I spotted this "white segment" control, I just had to check whether or not you had evaluted it. Well if it has made a further improvement to your viewing experience, then I am very pleased for you.....but I am really jealous now! I have this great urge to reach for my cheque book coming on, I have to find somewhere to demo this unit for myself!

P.S. John, just got your email thanks. Will reply later.

------------------

regards

Nelson

[This message has been edited by nelson (edited 03-07-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hm.. i tried using the white section on and off and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Will test more later of course..

It does not help rainbows at all either, and brightness does not seem to be affected.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I am confused as to why Grant and Halcyon are seeing

the same thing so differently. On the one hand Grant

says he's seeing the elimination of crawlies, improvement

in contrast ratio and color. But Halcyon says he's not

really seeing the same thing.

Bob Wood

------------------

~~The Sultan of Cheap~~

·
Registered
188 Posts
Isn't B-stock the same as refurbished???

As for the white segment, I'll test it out some more. I have only glanced at the feature and have usually left it off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was under the impression that you only saw the crawlies when you were not using an HTPC. Otherwise, crawlies were no longer an issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe that I read a thread earlier that found crawlies to be in the source. In other words, they are encoded into the DVD because it was not recorded well. Unless you are talking about jaggies which are because of the scaler (but shouldn't be there on an HTPC if you are using native XGA res!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Grant,

I trust you are still enjoying the LT150? I am getting really interested in this unit as my first projector and would like to know what if anything you don't like about it?

One concern I have, is how it will perform with PAL source DVD's. I often read enthusiastic reviews by people using NTSC source, but when someone tries PAL, things don't always look so good. Has anyone got access to some PAL DVD's to try out with the LT150, who can comment on the difference in quality (if any) to NTSC source?

Opinions will be greatly appreciated!

------------------

regards

Nelson

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nelson,

Perhaps you could send someone a pal dvd to try or arrange to see the machine yourself.

Your financial risk if the dvd where not returned is not large and it would get you the information you desire.

Just a thought.

Warren

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Warren,

That's not such a bad idea. If no-one comes back with any info, I might just consider doing that. As you say, the cost is insignificant compared to the financial outlay of the projector.

------------------

regards

Nelson

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CigarsAndPars,

Thanks for the input...appreciated!

------------------

regards

Nelson