AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a very modest set up which has served me well for many years now in 1080p HD and Dolby 5.1

A couple of years back I bought a Panasonic 48" AX630b a reasonably priced 4k tv in it's time and I am quote happy with it I am not a video snob trying to achieve the very highest qualities nor am I a gamer striving for frame rate. In fact most of what I watch is either SD or 720p I upgraded graphics several years ago to an AMD Radeon 5450HD and in truth this has served me pretty well. it will handle almost all HD and Bluray content and some of the lower end 4K and to be honest this has been more than enough with 4k / UHD sources fairly scarce. The upgrade to this PC have been about 24/7 usage and noise (quiet fans and better PSU's). Recently however I have noticed the HEVC 1080p sources are a little stuttery some times and high end 4k source (40GB+ films will not play continuously at all. Not really a massive deal to me but I wondered what was needed to upgrade to play these sources? At this point I started reading and simply put got more and more confused.

Can I simply upgrade the graphics card to play these sources?
If so do I need to a graphics card that has HDMI 2.0 ports?
If that is the case these seem to all have PCI express v3.0 and the mother board on the PC is likely to only be PCI express 1 which is backwards compatible but will that still affect display quality?

All I really want to know is can I use a relative cheap upgraded graphics card like a GTX660 for example? or would I need to go for something like Gigabyte GT1030 Silent (which I think is HDMI2.0)?

Even if I did the more expensive newer card would the PCI express port version limit me? would I be able to 4K netflix content etc?

And would either of these help with HEVC decoding or is that simply a factor the computer not being man enough?

The basic issue here is I don't have a clue how each of these element effects playback performance I understand HDMI ports auto negotiate to the lowest option but don't really understand what that means in terms of video performance?

Any help on this maze would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What's your CPU? Otherwise, you could get a cheap gpu card, obviously it would help to decode. HEVC is more compressed so it needs more horse power to decode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your CPU? Otherwise, you could get a cheap gpu card, obviously it would help to decode. HEVC is more compressed so it needs more horse power to decode.
I have the choice of the one I have used predominantly for this and file serving for years, which is a very old Athlon 7750 and the other is a SFF i3 2100 this mother board definitely has PCIe 2.0

This is what I don't understand which bits the GPU does and which bits the CPU does?

Frankly the 4K playback is only a nice to have (still not so many sources and massive storage implications on the NAS) but I would really like to solve the stuttering in some HEVC 1080p as I say the current set up (Athlon 7750 and radeon 5450) handles all HEVC 720p no problems at all.

I acquired a second PC with (i3 2100 same ram size but obviously faster) to run a different function then realised the processor and memory were clearly much quicker so am considering swapping the quiet fans and uprated PSU into that. Either way the choice is a GPU at £20ish or the one at £70ish but not understanding what the limits of PCIe 2.0 and HDMI1.0 / HDMI 1.4 mean in real terms is frustrating. So I don't want to solve one bottle neck only to hit another massive one.

SO whilst on the face of £70 is not that much I dont know if I just transfer the problem from a CPU/GPU combo that isn't man enough to a PCIe bus that isn't fast enough, essentially meaning the additional £50 is completely wasted and since I can get a tv box for that that will run HEVC .....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I think I may have found the answer to most of this myself, pretty sure I am right in saying with the CPU's I have I ideally need a GPU that will do all the HEVC in the GPU hardware?

If this is the case it pretty much makes the case for the GTX1030 low profile (HEVC in hardware and HDMI2.0)

which would then mean that the only question would be is a PCIe 1.0 or 2.0 bus going to be a significant limitation, I think?

google combined wisdom seems to think this isn't a big deal?

Do I have that right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, seems so. But if you simply want to watch stuff, you can simply use a Chromecast, it's less expensive.

In UHD/4k from my NAS? 10 bit HeVC? Seems to say the H265 isn't fully supported yet?

50 50 on price so yeah the mobility might just swing it

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on what you will be mainly doing, are you going to play video games or will you be watching movies? It can be both of them. Yet slow performance sometimes can be solved by simply cleaning the computer with the vacuum cleaner. It happened to me one, that it was full of dust, the processor would overheat and in the end the pc was super slow. Double check if you can overclock gpu. Better just go to a It support center, no one will solve this issue better then professionals. It won't cost you much, usually it is several couples of bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts