AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Olevia 32" HDTV that I use to play ps3 and watch Blu-ray movies. The question I have is there a big difference between 1080i and 1080p resolutions because my TV only does 1080i.


Is there a significant enough difference to justify an upgrade ? (though I'm not gonna do it because I just got this tv couple of months back)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
yes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
On 32" = No difference


On 60"+ = difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,212 Posts
No visually detectable difference at any size.


Games however respond differently depending on 'i' or 'P'. Generally speaking, PS3 games set to show off 1080P graphics have to go through conversions to display on a 1080i input set. These conversions take time and can affect input-lag, or a slight delay in moving your controller and seeing it happen on-screen.


Some TVs have a 'Game Mode' that fixes this issue but also degrades the visuals somewhat... manual adjustment may be possible to get it looking normal again. There should be no frame rate lag however, so don't worry about that.


All of this depends on the TV, so if you have the gear test it yourself and report here. Maybe others with the same setup will also chip in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
As stated above...unless you are sitting 2 or 3 feet away from the display you will not be able to percieve the difference with a 32inch display. Its also worth noting that I dont think a 32inch LCD even exists on the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
There is no difference in terms of quality. The only way you can see a difference

between a 1080i and a 1080p is through text and lines. 1080i usually jitters up

and down while 1080p remains smooth and not jittering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force /forum/post/0


On 32" = No difference


On 60"+ = difference


Correct.


On a 32" screen there's going to be no perceivable difference... But the larger the screen, the more important resolution becomes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle /forum/post/0


Correct.


On a 32" screen there's going to be no perceivable difference... But the larger the screen, the more important resolution becomes.

GREAT .....now I can rest peacefully
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/0


There is no difference in terms of quality. The only way you can see a difference

between a 1080i and a 1080p is through text and lines. 1080i usually jitters up

and down while 1080p remains smooth and not jittering.

Not necessarily correct. I have my PS3 sending a 1080i signal to my screen and there is absolutely no distortions at all with text any more than full 1080P. I've seen a full 1080P signal and there are users here with both types available to them - there is NO visual difference at all. Here's a thread that touches on this subject:

More info


Now, I am actually only referring to Sony's SXRD XBR1, which is advertised to display at 1080P while accepting no higher than 1080i. If there is a TV displaying a max 1080i out there, I can't vouch for how the visuals will turn out.


But if the HDTV accepts 1080i but converts it to 1080P like the XBR1, there is likely no visual differences between the two in games, movies, or text. This does not matter if the size is 32" or 60" (which I have)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/0


No visually detectable difference at any size.

If there is no difference, then why is 1080p even used? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an argument for arguing. There are several people saying that there is no quality difference and I just find that hard to believe. If bandwidth is available for 1080i and not 1080p for broadcast, what are we missing out on and what is that extra bandwidth being used for? Sound? If 1080p is such a beast of resources as opposed to 1080i, why on earth are they even trying for 1080p?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/0


Not necessarily correct. I have my PS3 sending a 1080i signal to my screen and there is absolutely no distortions at all with text any more than full 1080P. I've seen a full 1080P signal and there are users here with both types available to them - there is NO visual difference at all. Here's a thread that touches on this subject:

More info


Now, I am actually only referring to Sony's SXRD XBR1, which is advertised to display at 1080P while accepting no higher than 1080i. If there is a TV displaying a max 1080i out there, I can't vouch for how the visuals will turn out.


But if the HDTV accepts 1080i but converts it to 1080P like the XBR1, there is likely no visual differences between the two in games, movies, or text. This does not matter if the size is 32" or 60" (which I have)

It depends really on the native resolution of your screen....... If you have 1366x768 then 1080i will be still 1366x768p (720p). No matter what input (HD) you get it will look the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/0


If there is no difference, then why is 1080p even used? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an argument for arguing. There are several people saying that there is no quality difference and I just find that hard to believe. If bandwidth is available for 1080i and not 1080p for broadcast, what are we missing out on and what is that extra bandwidth being used for? Sound? If 1080p is such a beast of resources as opposed to 1080i, why on earth are they even trying for 1080p?

I dunno... I wondered about this issue ever since I got my TV last spring and only was able to find out my own answers from consistent testing (that thread follows what I and others have found out).


Again, maybe it's because the final output on the XBR1 is 1080P that there is no detectable visual difference, but so far this is the case. Keep in mind that there is a difference (initially) with input-lag when playing 1080 rez games on the TV, but there are ways to fix that while minimizing any affect on the visuals. The thread I posted explains this in detail.


The bottom line is that it is possible to connect a PS3 to a max 1080i-input HDTV and get movies, games, and the internet to look just as good as 1080P. The games can still run at a butter smooth 60 fps with no frame dips at all, and even the input-lag can be resolved. This all depends on the HDTV in question, as I can only vouch for the one I've been using.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/0


If 1080p is such a beast of resources as opposed to 1080i, why on earth are they even trying for 1080p?

Marketing. That's my best guess. If the game isn't completely intensive with high-res textures and the like, and they can squeeze out 1080p, I think developers will go for it.


I mean look at all the geniuses who dissect vector calculations and ram buffers in forums like these as if they knew what they were talking about. 1080p and Monster Cables and Progressive Scan DVD Players seem aimed at those who're willing to pay a significant premium for marginal benefits. So if a dev can hit the high-water-mark-of-the-moment they'll pull all those people in. That's my best guess anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I see a difference during fast motion and camera panning. 1080p is clearer where 1080i gets a bit blurry. When the scene isn't moving much I cant' tell if it's my DVR or Blu-ray since most of the content wasn't filmed in HD to begin with.


I see a bigger difference in 1080p 60 fps games like Half life 2 on my PC. I think it has alot to do with the progresive scan as well as the framerate. More FPS during fast mothion will be clearer on progressive scan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO.FEAR /forum/post/0


I see a difference during fast motion and camera panning. 1080p is clearer where 1080i gets a bit blurry. When the scene isn't moving much I cant' tell if it's my DVR or Blu-ray since most of the content wasn't filmed in HD to begin with.


I see a bigger difference in 1080p 60 fps games like Half life 2 on my PC. I think it has alot to do with the progresive scan as well as the framerate. More FPS during fast mothion will be clearer on progressive scan.

That may be true in your experience, but is not true for all HDTVs. None of what you report happens on the SXRD XBR1 (only accepts up to 1080i) or XBR2 (accepts 1080i or 1080P). This suggests it is not the interlaced/progressive signal that may be causing your problems, but how the display accommodates and processes any conversion:


Ridge Racer 7

Cash Guns Chaos

Blast Factor

Tekken 5: DR

NBA 07

Gran Turismo:HD


All are 1080P 60 fps games that look and play the exact same way in 1080i or 1080P on the SXRD XBR HDTVs (after proper tweaking).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
From my experience, there is a noticeable difference between 1080I and 1080P in certain games. However, when it comes to movies/tv, there really isn't a difference. The only advantage 1080P has is that it comes pre-interlaced. However, if your TV has a really good chip, you won't see a difference.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top