AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a slow work day I've put together a dwg of some screen sizes out of curiosity that might interest someone.

Note that this includes some 4:3 as well as widescreen shapes. The 36" is my current 4:3 set, and the 65, 90" ones are also 4:3 sizes (800x600 projector) where the others are 16:9.

The smaller box inside the screen size box is how big a 2.35:1 movie is on the screen. I was comparing a 65" square projector screen to my buddies 57" widescreen TV and a movie is about the same size. hmm!

a 90" would sure make my 36" movie look small.

Kille

edit: there is a newer pdf down a few messages

screens.pdf 1.859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
YOU ROCK!!! I've been searching for something like this for 4 months. I was going to post a topic asking if any one knew. Much thanks.

Could you possibly update it with adding a 42"? I'm curious what the Sony 42"LCD would look like compared to my 36" 4:3 tube.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
So a 46" LCD would be the same size on 4:3 SD material that I current am used to on my 36", but a HUGE jump for widescreen material. Thanks again, really helpful.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Red
So a 46" LCD would be the same size on 4:3 SD material that I current am used to on my 36", but a HUGE jump for widescreen material.
Actually, the 46" LCD would be displaying a slightly larger 4:3 picture than the 36" 4:3 TV. A 4:3 36" TV is 21.6" high by 28.8" wide. A 4:3 display on a 16:9 46" WS would be 22.6" high by 30.1" wide (1.0" high and 1.3" wide larger).

A 44" 16:9 WS would display the same 4:3 picture as a 36" 4:3 TV. Based on that, I am not sure the sizing in the PDF is correct (it's close, but appears to be slightly off). Then again, I performed the calculations mathematically. Maybe the sizing shown was based on using a measuring tape.

Michael

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Well, to be fair, the drawing does have the 46" just slightly on the outside of the 36" 4:3 square. So it is bigger, but it just looked so close to me I assumed it was the same size give or take. Tho, with the exception of Sammy, not many 44" or 46" sets. It's mostly 42" and 1 48" LG that I know of. So I guess a 50" would be nice, however, most 50" have huge useless 12" wide speakers on both sides making the set too wide for my area.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Well, to be fair, the drawing does have the 46" just slightly on the outside of the 36" 4:3 square.
Yes, you're correct. I was seeing the 2.35:1 line of the green (57") outline instead of the 46" outline. Thanks for the correction, as it does look like the scaling is accurate.

Michael

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah its not super accurate, the screen sizes are exactly 36", not the viewable area of 35" which could change from set to set, assuming TVs round up the way monitors do.

I will add a couple more sizes to it today or tommorrow, 42" and 65" widescreens

Kille

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Quote:
Well, to be fair, the drawing does have the 46" just slightly on the outside of the 36" 4:3 square. So it is bigger, but it just looked so close to me I assumed it was the same size give or take. Tho, with the exception of Sammy, not many 44" or 46" sets. It's mostly 42" and 1 48" LG that I know of. So I guess a 50" would be nice, however, most 50" have huge useless 12" wide speakers on both sides making the set too wide for my area.
I think side mounted speakers are counterproductive, too. One of the reasons I bought my 50" RCA DLP was the fact that it has no speakers on the side. Thus, its entire width is comprised of its screen and a narrow black plastic bezel. RCA calls this a "floating picture," or something like that. This allowed me to put an HDTV with a rather large screen in a confined space, a window seat. Isn't there a Sammy DLP that is similarly configured?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Yea, most Sammy's are side speaker less, however, I see rainbows and along with my wife get headaches from DLPs. So, for now, DLPs aren't an option. There is the JVC, Zenith and LG that make the side-less speakers.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cgw
A nongraphical comparison, but useful in helping justify the next bigger size that you originally were going to buy can be found at

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi?KeohiHDTV
That's pretty cool too. But it's easier to see it then to read about it. Pitfalls of a graphic designer I guess, everything has to be visual for me to understand it, lol.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Another one, I'll have to break out the measuring tape later. I could not find anything like these, mostly because I didn't know ho to search for them. But those coming from a 4:3 need to know what to expect and know sizes will be the same or bigger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I agree on the visuals, what someone needs to do is make some fancy schockwave page to draw any size of screen(s) but thats beyond my skills, I only know Autocad.

Heres that 42" dude. And look at how an entire 65" screen will fit inside the video portion of a 90" projector screen! I can't wait to get one.

Kille

screens rev2.pdf 3.7919921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Thanks for the time and effort :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.