AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;

I have a bit of a "noob" question. The PC (specs below) I want to hook to my TV (Samsung LNT 4665F) does not seem to support HDMI audio. Again, be kind - I am new to all of this, but what I want is for my PC to send the audio to the TV without having to hook up external speakers (too many wires).

Basically, I just want to hook the HDMI up directly and not have to hook up additional cables...Like my PS3.

So the question is: do I need a new graphics card? Or, did I miss some set up function either on the PC or my TV?

Listen, I really appreciate any and all help you can provide.

Computer Specs:
HP Pavilion Elite d5000t ATX customizable Desktop PC

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9550 (2.83GHz)

8GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x2048)

1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT, 2 DVI, HDMI adapter

Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n & Bluetooth(R )

1.5TB 7200rpm SATA 3Gb/s two hard drives (2x750GB)

Blu-ray writer & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner

16x max. DVD-ROM

15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, TV video

Dual ATSC-NTSC TV tuner, PVR, 1 FM tuner, remote

Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Might be a dumb question but did you mess with the control panel? Sound settings or just plug it in?

Forgive me if you have.

On mine I right click the speaker icon in the system tray, select playback devices, select hdmi output and set it as default.

Yours doesnt have a native hdmi out so this might not be there at all.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If your mb has an internal or external coaxial S/PDIF connector and your GeForce 9800GT has an internal S/PDIF connector, then connect them and you will get HDMI audio (stereo LPCM, DD, DTS).

Or use a Radeon HD 4xxx card that has a HD audio controller of its own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.